#1 Never Trendy

Never Trendy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Looking for the rule that state Match Play can't be played as well as daily comp.

My club allowed this to happen on the weekend and unknown to me before the round. Therefore a incomplete DQ round has been put in to Golf Link.

Burglar Extraordinaire

4 Time SEQ Winner

2015 Nats Runner Up

2015 Nats 4BBB Runner Up (With 3 Birdie Goldy)

Golflink -http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302545

GolfShot - http://golfshot.com/...0230/statistics

#2 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

33-1. Conditions; Waiving Rule

The Committee must establish the conditions under which a competition is to be played.

The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

The number of holes of a stipulated round must not be reduced once play has commenced for that round.

Certain specific Rules governing stroke play are so substantially different from those governing match play that combining the two forms of play is not practicable and is not permitted. The result of a match played in these circumstances is null and void and, in the stroke play competition, the competitors are disqualified.

#3 Never Trendy

Never Trendy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

33-1. Conditions; Waiving Rule

The Committee must establish the conditions under which a competition is to be played.

The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

The number of holes of a stipulated round must not be reduced once play has commenced for that round.

Certain specific Rules governing stroke play are so substantially different from those governing match play that combining the two forms of play is not practicable and is not permitted. The result of a match played in these circumstances is null and void and, in the stroke play competition, the competitors are disqualified.

Thanks

Burglar Extraordinaire

4 Time SEQ Winner

2015 Nats Runner Up

2015 Nats 4BBB Runner Up (With 3 Birdie Goldy)

Golflink -http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302545

GolfShot - http://golfshot.com/...0230/statistics

#4 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6454 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

So does that mean, in Trev's case, that a RE match is in order?

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22283 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

That's what it says.

Also, all the stroke players are disqualified if they also played a match.

#6 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

It happens all the time, but you don't play match play as such. Eg you can't give each other putts. What normally happens is whoever has the best nett score on the hole wins the hole. You are playing your individual comp, but the results of each hole are used to determine a match score.

If that is also illegal then 90% of the old blokes at my club would be disqualified. 

#7 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11608 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

It happens all the time, but you don't play match play as such. Eg you can't give each other putts. What normally happens is whoever has the best nett score on the hole wins the hole. You are playing your individual comp, but the results of each hole are used to determine a match score.

If that is also illegal then 90% of the old blokes at my club would be disqualified. 

It has to be illegal because if you are playing handicap matchplay you should be using the Match index not the Stroke index.

It does not matter how someone wishes to justify the way they play both at the same time. It is not allowed by the rules of golf and any player that played only the matchplay would have the right to make a claim if his opponent played stroke at the same time.

I know many clubs allow it to take in more money. that does not make it the correct thing to do. Personally I have always refused to play comp if I am playing a Match.

Edited by pom, 09 March 2017 - 01:57 PM.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#8 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

It has to be illegal because if you are playing handicap matchplay you should be using the Match index not the Stroke index.

Plenty of handicap matchplay comps use the stroke index, there is nothing illegal about it. 

#9 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11608 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

If there is still time to play the rematch.Some clubs set up certain dates when the matches must be completed. if the players wait until the last day ( quite common.) and the match is declared null & void they may not have time to play the match & could easily be disqualified from taking any further part in the matchplay Competition.

No VTPP11

#10 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11608 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Plenty of handicap matchplay comps use the stroke index, there is nothing illegal about it. 

The method of playing handicap matchplay is for the low marker to play off scratch and his opponent to play off the difference. The idea of the matchplay index is to share the shots given out fairly and evenly across the course. For example. my home course has 4 of the 1st 5 holes indexed in the top 6. would give the longer handicapper a really good start I reckon. Plus the Matchplay index is a standard set of numbers Australia wide.

I guess if these guys are breaking the first rule discussed then any others do not matter either.

Why do we bother with the rules if each club wishes to change them around to suit themselves.

No VTPP11

#11 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

The method of playing handicap matchplay is for the low marker to play off scratch and his opponent to play off the difference. The idea of the matchplay index is to share the shots given out fairly and evenly across the course. For example. my home course has 4 of the 1st 5 holes indexed in the top 6. would give the longer handicapper a really good start I reckon. Plus the Matchplay index is a standard set of numbers Australia wide.

I guess if these guys are breaking the first rule discussed then any others do not matter either.

Why do we bother with the rules if each club wishes to change them around to suit themselves.

The matchplay index is an option and I understand the benefits, but there is no rule that says it has to be used for matchplay competitions. 

My club never uses the matchplay index. 

Clubs can also have their own matchplay index. The one provided by GA is just an option, it doesn't have to be used. 

#12 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

It does not matter how someone wishes to justify the way they play both at the same time. It is not allowed by the rules of golf and any player that played only the matchplay would have the right to make a claim if his opponent played stroke at the same time.

I know many clubs allow it to take in more money. that does not make it the correct thing to do. Personally I have always refused to play comp if I am playing a Match.

Do you never play for a disc or something? 

It's not proper matchplay in that you can't concede a hole or putts, but it happens all the time as a side bet during regular competition. 

At our club, you play a 4bbb match. Throw the balls up on the first tee to determine partners then go from there.

The best nett score or stabelford score for each hole is given as a win. 

It's not really technically a match in my opinion as you aren't able to concede putts or lose holes for rules violations, but I wasn't sure if that's what the OP was talking about or not.

Of course you can't submit a stroke/stableford score if you are playing a match where you are allowed to concede putts or holes. 

#13 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11608 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Rules apply to competitions. What you do outside the guidelines of those competitions is up to you.

OP asked if Match play and stroke play comps could be played at the same time. the answer is no.

Anything other than that, ie side bets etc are fine as long as it does not affect the competition round. And the rules governing those side bets are made up by the group.

Far too many clubs encourage players to enter the daily comp regardless of the fact that they are playing a match

OPs score should be removed from golf link as he did not wish to play in the single stroke comp as evidenced by the fact that his round was  incomplete.

Never Trendy. May I ask why a score card was even presented if you were only playing MatchPlay?

Edited by pom, 09 March 2017 - 03:56 PM.

No VTPP11

#14 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

The OP was quite vague though. Was he playing in a matchplay competition or was it a match played between his group, in the format I suggested? 

#15 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11608 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

If it was being run by the club. I would suggest they were both Competitions. That was how I read it.

No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users