109 replies to this topic

#16 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

I suspect that a large proportion of golfers play by 'simplified' rules outside competition already.

Those who never play competitions will continue to play by their own version regardless. 

• pom likes this

#17 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8902 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

I suspect that a large proportion of golfers play by 'simplified' rules outside competition already.

Those who never play competitions will continue to play by their own version regardless. 

Would suggest that the rules modernisation conference is not to design a set of rules for the social golfer, but to broadcast their initiative and communicate what they can potentially do to streamline and simplify the rules for easier consumption and application for the average Joe. Whether bifurcation of the rules eventuates or not, the driving need is there to do something. There will always be two opposing views on how to treat this issue, ranging from wholesale change through to keeping things as they are.Why would they bother redesigning their rules for an audience that wouldn't care or follow the recommendations?

I would expect conference would be used identify how they determine and employ the resources required to conduct the research, identify the main contributors to rules confusion and draft their recommendations for the collective board to review, test, redraft and finally pass the changes (if there are any) on. 

Or they can use it as a platform to launch Trump's latest attempt at "changing the world, one whacky idea at a time" ......

Would suggest that the rules modernisation conference is not to design a set of rules for the social golfer, but to see what they can potentially do to streamline and simplify the rules for easier consumption and application for the average Joe. Whether bifurcation of the rules eventuates or not, the driving need is there to do something. There will always be tow opposing views on how to treat this issue, ranging from wholesale change through to keeping things as they are.

I would expect conference would be used identify how they determine and employ the resources required to conduct the research, identify the main contributors to rules confusion and draft their recommendations 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#18 Jaybam

Jaybam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Only rule i hate is hitting s perfect drive down the middle and ending up in some lazy shits unfilled divot. Relief should be given in this instance.
  • RobNewy likes this

#19 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

All speculation and wishing can end, here are the proposals:

http://www.randa.org...esModernisation

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

#20 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39083 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

I'll enjoy dropping from an inch off the ground - especially in bunkers
  • RobNewy and AGQ like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#21 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11497 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

Only rule i hate is hitting s perfect drive down the middle and ending up in some lazy shits unfilled divot. Relief should be given in this instance.

I disagree with this one.
I can just see a rule like this being attempted I far too many cases where it's just a bad lie. The lie over grass is what it is.
It really, really sucks to land in some arseclowns unrepaired divot, but I can only remember it actually having an impact on a shot I've had to play once in my career.
All that meant is that I had to punch out a 7 iron rather than a full 8. Who knows, I might not have gotten the eagle otherwise.
  • GhettoGolfer, pom, koiom K Frenzy and 2 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#22 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Proposed Rule: Under the new Rules, “water hazards” would be superseded by the expanded concept of “penalty areas,” and new Rule 17 will provide the same basic options for relief that exist under the current Rules:

BUY:  red paint stock

Committee could come close to eliminating S&D

#23 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

Not sure about the putting with the stick in. Can see every putt now following a song and dance around "would you like the stick in or out for this 4 footer?"!
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#24 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11779 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

I can just see a rule like this being attempted I far too many cases where it's just a bad lie. The lie over grass is what it is.
It really, really sucks to land in some arseclowns unrepaired divot, but I can only remember it actually having an impact on a shot I've had to play once in my career.
All that meant is that I had to punch out a 7 iron rather than a full 8. Who knows, I might not have gotten the eagle otherwise.

career?
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

#25 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

I agree. Originally had the opinion that it wasn't fair having done the work of keeping the ball on the fairway only to find someone else divot. That changed over time. Golf sometimes isn't fair, just the way it is. Play the ball as it lies.

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2016 - 95 played

AGD 2014 - 97 played

GA - 2016 - 85 played

GA - 2014 - 90 played

#26 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

I agree. Originally had the opinion that it wasn't fair having done the work of keeping the ball on the fairway only to find someone else divot. That changed over time. Golf sometimes isn't fair, just the way it is. Play the ball as it lies.

So I presume you don't take relief from immovable obstructions and things like that then? Never take a drop off a cart path?

It's silly that they have some rules in place to make the game fair and then glaring omissions like balls in unfilled divots, in my opinion.

If you're going to say play it as it lies, make that the case in all circumstances. You've always got the option of an unplayable.

#27 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

It's silly that they have some rules in place to make the game fair and then glaring omissions like balls in unfilled divots, in my opinion.

I don't know. I've always found the rules to work well. They've been designed to take out any grey areas. So something like a rule related to an unfilled divot could very easily be abused by players claiming every little hole they see is a divot. 

Personally I don't believe there was anything wrong with the rules or that they needed "modernisation". However, I understand why this is being looked at and am interested to see what changes make it through. 

Off the top of my head, I don't have issue with the changes relating to the putting green. Let players fix all marks, spike marks included on the line of play and let them touch the line. And also allowing them to putt with the flag still in the hole at all times. But some of the other ones, like dropping the ball from any height (including 1 inch off the ground) i don't like. That rule i feel you may as well just get rid of drops and let players place the ball when taking a drop.

Edited by Monty85, 02 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

• AGQ likes this

| GolfLink 

#28 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:40 AM

like dropping the ball from any height (including 1 inch off the ground) i don't like. That rule i feel you may as well just get rid of drops and let players place the ball when taking a drop.

Placing guarantees you can put it on the nearby worm cast or tuft of grass. Even 1" gives the chance of the result not being perfect.

#29 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

Placing guarantees you can put it on the nearby worm cast or tuft of grass. Even 1" gives the chance of the result not being perfect.

Oh I agree. But if the goal is to ensure a perfect lie can't always be achieved. Don't bother changing the rule.

This proposed change becomes even more finicky which is why I suggested introducing placing if you want to change things.

But perhaps placing is too extreme. Maybe the rule should just be drop above waist height, which gives a nice buffer for wear the ball can be released from.

| GolfLink 

#30 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

I think one reason for the low height is dropping in a bunker. I don't think there was any intention to produce a perfect lie, just not a bad one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users