• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dickie101

dickie101

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hi, I've not posted before but have read quite a few threads on the Forum. From what I've read I thought there will be some people on here who might be able to help me. 

I want to buy a new set of irons but I want to try them before I buy. Does anyone know of anywhere in Sydney where I could test several different sets of irons, at a driving range (ideally a grass range) so I can see how the ball flies as well as how it feels to hit the clubs?

I have seen that some of the shops offer a club testing service, but these are indoors and means hitting a ball against a screen with a Trackman. 

Alternatively, if there is anyone who has used this kind of service offered by the shops how do you rate it? I haven't bought any irons in quite a few years and the last set I bought at a driving range in the UK, so I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried both methods and how they found the indoors experience. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

#2 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10232 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

Have a look at the freebie golf magazine you get from golf clubs.

In there they have a page of all the major manufacturers demo days

#3 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

Iv heard Cool Clubs is the way to go up there

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#4 dickie101

dickie101

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses. I will pick up one of those magazines from the golf club next time I'm there.

One thing I wanted to do was compare three different manufacturers' clubs alongside each other at the same time and demo days are often for only one manufacturer aren't they? Or do some places have demo days for multiple manufacturers? 

Cool Clubs looks like it might be what I need, but it's expensive. Or is that the going rate for this sort of thing? thanks again. 

#5 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10232 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses. I will pick up one of those magazines from the golf club next time I'm there.

One thing I wanted to do was compare three different manufacturers' clubs alongside each other at the same time and demo days are often for only one manufacturer aren't they? Or do some places have demo days for multiple manufacturers? 

Cool Clubs looks like it might be what I need, but it's expensive. Or is that the going rate for this sort of thing? thanks again.

Most demo days are only for single manufacturers.
But its prrobly the only place you will try them outdoors.

Cool Clubs im pretty sure are inside on Trackman

#6 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Would be easier to fly to Melbourne and do the MGA testing, when several of the big boys are there all at the same time on the same day, once a month.

Surprised that no one in Sydney doesn't have the same setup, somewhere ?

Check the OEM schedules they quite often crossover at different clubs and you will get 3 of them there on the same day. Problem is you usually have to be a member of that club to get a booking !

Jon... 

#7 dickie101

dickie101

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

Thanks golfguy33, but what are the OEM schedules?

RobNewy - I've been in touch with Cool Clubs and they do an indoor/outdoor fitting in Sydney. It sounds like there are loads of clubs to try there but it comes at a cost, $225 just for irons, or you can do a package where they will fit you for eg irons with woods, or wedges. Otherwise it's $150 an hour. 

#8 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10232 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks golfguy33, but what are the OEM schedules?

RobNewy - I've been in touch with Cool Clubs and they do an indoor/outdoor fitting in Sydney. It sounds like there are loads of clubs to try there but it comes at a cost, $225 just for irons, or you can do a package where they will fit you for eg irons with woods, or wedges. Otherwise it's $150 an hour.

Expensive, but worth it

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4376 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

Pureform are in Sydney, keep an eye out for a discount voucher and you can get a full fitting for half the normal price. Cool Clubs may do the same sort of thing, not sure.

#10 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4376 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Otherwise, hit all the irons at somewhere like Drummond. See which ones you like the feel of, then look for the demo days of the brands you like.

#11 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6454 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

Simple google search, this was in the first link I clicked http://www.insidegol...days-australia/

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#12 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6454 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

http://golf.mizunoeu...fit/demo-days/#

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#13 the piranha

the piranha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Check out Golf Traders at Stanmore or http://thegolfproject.com.au/at Balmain, the cost of fitting should be less in comparison to Pureform or Cool Clubs...

#14 AaronBoy

AaronBoy

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVic Australia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, I went to golfproject before! It's nice!

#15 bets_au

bets_au

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hi, new here.

I've just joined my local club (North Ryde, Sydney) after giving up on my home club that I never played at (Forster Tuncurry, where oldies live).

I'm excited to start playing more regularly, hopefully at least once a fortnight.

I was thinking of doing a few lessons first and wait a few months for my swing to settle rather than get fitted now with a fairly rusting swing.

Currently have Ben Hogan apex plus 4-PW (10 years old), TM Rocketballz S2 9.5 UST, Nikent 3-wood (6 years old) with some exotic shaft i forgot the name of, Titleist hybrid and some cheap no name wedges (Lind golf?) 52-58-64.

I used to play around the 3-6 H/C but more like 8-9 when i play the odd round.

Very keen to get fitted for a set at Cool clubs but am trying to convince myself to hold of a few months and see how my swing pans out.

Driver and irons are what I want to upgrade. The 3 wood is my most confident club in the bag and wedges are great. Hogan irons are starting to wear and I'm wanting a little more forgiveness. Great irons though.

Thoughts? 

Edited by bets_au, 20 May 2017 - 07:51 AM.

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users