20 replies to this topic

#16 Feebs

Feebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

There is never any harm in ringing the clubs you are interested in and asking if you can have a hit there. It is what I did a few years ago and greatly helped my decision.

#17 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10667 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Woodlands or Keysborough. If you live in Murrumbeena I'd seriously look at Woodlands.

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#18 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

There is never any harm in ringing the clubs you are interested in and asking if you can have a hit there. It is what I did a few years ago and greatly helped my decision.

I know the managers of the inner clubs have a list of the regular people that annually do the ring around to get a free game, on the premise that they are looking to join.

This list is shared between the clubs to weed out the people that just do the circuit for a free hit with no intention of ever joining.

8 to 10 free games a year is alot of fishing for membership but the clubs are onto it now !

Jon... 

• voss and Madambo like this

#19 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

I know the managers of the inner clubs have a list of the regular people that annually do the ring around to get a free game, on the premise that they are looking to join.
This list is shared between the clubs to weed out the people that just do the circuit for a free hit with no intention of ever joining.
8 to 10 free games a year is alot of fishing for membership but the clubs are onto it now !
Jon...

Hm didn't know people would do that, I've always been told I can play and pay the members guest green fee and if I join they will refund that.

#20 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hm didn't know people would do that, I've always been told I can play and pay the members guest green fee and if I join they will refund that.

It's been going on for afew years now and they are on to the practise of trying to get a free game by the same guys year in, year out !

#21 Acheron

Acheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

I'll agree with Jon's comments about joining fees. They are expensive for many of the better clubs but when clubs reduce or remove them all together it can be a double-edged-sword.  No joining fee can attract new members, but it also hurts a clubs finances in the medium to longer term.

Most clubs are under some sort of financial stress these days, and you will get very different stories from different people about the same club's situation. 

In your general distance range, I'd agree with Southern, Woodlands, Spring Valley etc.
But don't exclude options like Box Hill or Greenacres.  Also in distance range and different style of courses.  Of course the sandbelt courses are brilliant, but plenty of people like different styles of courses as well.

The clubs are happy to have a trial round (it's part of how they assess your golfing ability/etiquette/suitability for membership).  It is the serial abusers of the 'trial round' that they are catching on to.

And it's only really the "Sandbelt" clubs (capital "S") that don't officially do trial rounds.

Cheers and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users