KenDDDDDDDDD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hello everyone
Wondering if i get some help or suggestions regarding above issue
35 yr old with two kids 6 and 4
Limited golf time on weekends(very early morning rounds 9/18holes) weekdays are generally not free. May have occasional afternoon open up to play golf on fridays.
Currently reside in Murrumbeena.
Range practice 2~3times a week at MGA
Golf rounds at cheltenham quick 9 hole rounds by myself mostly on sundaya. When playing with friends(normally saturday) we go down to mornington peninsula(st andrews dues moonah eagle ridge etc) or closer waterford Kingston links albert park yarra bend etc)

Would like to possibly join closer to home golf course/club to be able to go down and play on short notice or take my friends in for a round without having to drive more than 1 hour to get to mornington due to young kids at home. Local public courses...i find not much complexity(at a varying degree). So something with bit more hazards roughs and nice bunkering and well kept green would be preferrable.

Could anyone suggest a golf club to join with relatively pain free membership application process at 30 minute max range from murrumbeena?

What are ppl's thoughts on playing on indoor simulator like that of skytrak ? Instead of joining a local club Would be it good way to keep improving (play 14~18 over par atm)?
Would be good playing while kids sleeping at night if such simulation is realistic and good for keep improving..i think this will get me more simulation rounds.. My only concern is skills gained from indoor practice not transferring to real life round

Bit long winded but let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Ken
  • Madambo likes this

#2 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4447 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Well you've got access to some of the best courses in Australia within 30min of Murrumbeena, but they aren't cheap. Nearly all will cost you a joining fee then you'll have yearly subscriptions on top of that. Some of these would have a waiting list to join as well. Courses such as Metropolitan, Commonwealth, Huntingdale, Yarra Yarra and maybe Woodlands fit in this category. You will find wide ranging opinions on all of these. 

The "tier two" courses within 30min will still cost you a couple of thousand a year, depending on your age and the membership category you're looking for, but may not have a joining fee or may offer a reduced one if you ask at the right time. Southern GC is one of these courses, which is where I play my golf. Keysborough & Spring Valley the two others. These courses are just within 30min from Murrumbeena. 

The next step is public courses like Malvern Valley, Sandringham, Glen Waverley & Brighton. These courses offer membership for usually around $100-$150 a year but you probably have to pay green fees every time you play there ($30-$50 per round). The membership fees cover the cost of managing your handicap but do little else. Obviously the courses are worse and the practice facilities are minimal or non existent. 

Can't give you much help on the indoor golf memberships as I've only played them a couple of times. Obviously it would be the much cheaper option and rounds take far less time than a real golf course so if those points are your main concern then it could be a good option. 

Good luck!

• GhettoGolfer and Hat_Trick like this

#3 KenDDDDDDDDD

KenDDDDDDDDD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for the run down! Very helpful. Certainly the clubs you mentioned are on my list of possibilities. From what i can see spring valley ( where i have played many times in the past) and southern gc seem to have straight forward membership process. Both about 25 mins from home so good for my lack of time issues.
Hoping to hear from those with indoor simulator experience as cost of indoor simulator setup and 1yr membership at real life golf course is quite comparable.
Thanks!

Edited by KenDDDDDDDDD, 13 February 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4447 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for the run down! Very helpful. Certainly the clubs you mentioned are on my list of possibilities. From what i can see spring valley ( where i have played many times in the past) and southern gc seem to have straight forward membership process. Both about 25 mins from home so good for my lack of time issues.
Hoping to hear from those with indoor simulator experience as cost of indoor simulator setup and 1yr membership at real life golf course is quite comparable.
Thanks!

No problems mate, I'm happy to have you for a round at Southern if you want to try it out. Plenty of guys here are members at Keysie and would no doubt do the same. 

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22284 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

DD, simulator golf may well keep your skills ticking over while waiting for the kids to grow up (a long time), but it's not real golf. So what's the point?

If you join a club at a public course (or RACV, Qantas, etc), you can get a handicap so, when you do get to play on a decent course, you have a yardstick to measure your progress.

Can't you get one day on the weekend, or every second weekend, to play while the Mrs minds the kids?

#6 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

I have played the X-Golf simulators that they have at The House of Golf stores and find them to be a bit of fun, but I wouldn't want to play them all the time.  I find the X-Golf simulators to be a little inaccurate as I have shot rounds under par and I would never do that on a real course.

I am in a similar situation with three kids and time a little scarce, but I would rather organise time in advance and have a round of golf on a real course than rely solely on the simulators.  I think Keysborough Golf Club still have a casual type membership for under $400- that was a pretty good deal if it was a course you were interested in without the large initial outlay of a joining fee.

#7 KenDDDDDDDDD

KenDDDDDDDDD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Thanks everyone for awesome replies! Simulator idea has been dropped. Haha
Feared that it may not be realistic and that seems to be the case.
Although wouldnt mind joining one of the first tier sandbelts..given time restraints it seems more plausible to join the 2nd tier clubs so there isnt great deal of initial joining fee. I'll need to research them in more detail. Even idea of social golf club like qantas golf club or racv or genY might be good as well. Looked at qantas and some of the courses listed are 1st tier sandbelts so.. Thanks for the suggestions!

#8 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8903 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

In my experience, the indoor simulator type arrangements work well in conjunction with playing regular golf the way its meant to be played. 

Nothing better than walking through a round, talking crap with your playing partners and letting the stress of parenting and work and anything else just melt away into the background. 

Can potentially replace range time with an indoor simulator session, and if you are a numbers geek, you can collate all the stats you want in terms of club head path, swing path, launch angle, ball speed, smash factor etc 

That sort of stuff works for some and not others. With that said, those launch monitors/simulators work on algorithmic extrapolation from data gathered over a fraction of a second. I am still on the fence about the reliability and its translation to real world golf play. 

I've never played Southern (waiting for that invite Itchy - not sure you want to pair with a chopper like me though!) but Keysie is quite fun and in my opinion, better than Spring Valley, and whole lot less smelly too! 

Good luck on your search - may even want to come join us on one of our OOM (Order of Merit) golf days. 

Edited by GhettoGolfer, 13 February 2017 - 05:12 PM.

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4447 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

In my experience, the indoor simulator type arrangements work well in conjunction with playing regular golf the way its meant to be played.

Nothing better than walking through a round, talking crap with your playing partners and letting the stress of parenting and work and anything else just melt away into the background.

Can potentially replace range time with an indoor simulator session, and if you are a numbers geek, you can collate all the stats you want in terms of club head path, swing path, launch angle, ball speed, smash factor etc

That sort of stuff works for some and not others. With that said, those launch monitors/simulators work on algorithmic extrapolation from data gathered over a fraction of a second. I am still on the fence about the reliability and its translation to real world golf play.

I've never played Southern (waiting for that invite Itchy - not sure you want to pair with a chopper like me though!) but Keysie is quite fun and in my opinion, better than Spring Valley, and whole lot less smelly too!

Good luck on your search - may even want to come join us on one of our OOM (Order of Merit) golf days.

Invite yourself, the door is always open πŸ˜‰

Plus, Southern invitational next month of course....

#10 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8903 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Invite yourself, the door is always open πŸ˜‰

Plus, Southern invitational next month of course....

Im locked into something else on the Day. Family commitments and all that.

Posted Image

#11 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4447 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

Im locked into something else on the Day. Family commitments and all that.

Sounds made up 😊
  • Francie likes this

#12 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8903 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Sounds made up 😊

Ive got to wash my hair?
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

Posted Image

#13 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

Unfortunately Ken, the cut off age at alot of local clubs in your 30 minute driving range is 35 yo, so not to many discounts to be had.

One thing that I'd recommend is to research the clubs that have a solid and long term future in the belt. Some local clubs have not been very stable over the past 10 + years, whether politically or financially. Some clubs have made very poor choices for their future and we are seeing several really struggle atm !

The initial joining fee that you are required to pay is the long term steady base that will give you the confidence to be a long term member. 10 years would be a minimum period that I'd consider as a time frame to invest in a club with a joining fee structure. As the family grows or work obligations might change, you can always alter your membership category to suit your life style. 

What you want out of any club will determine the best to join for many obvious reasons. 

eg: Distance from home, the course, practice facilities, clubhouse, comps and tee times, member demographics ( age groups/social and business networking ) annual costs etc.

Most will arrange a payment plan for you with the joining fee payable over 3 to 5 years, so the cost over 3 years might be more palatable when your outlay is say, $70 to 100 per week for that term.

Considering that you probably spend that amount to play now on a weekly basis at some half decent courses down the coast, it's an investment for your long term golfing future.

Jon...   

#14 KenDDDDDDDDD

KenDDDDDDDDD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Jon. Yes i've looking at some other threads mentioning financial issues and such for some of the clubs. But those seem bit dated 1 or 2 years ago. Is it possible for you to let me know which ones are not doing well or not so well?

#15 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Jon. Yes i've looking at some other threads mentioning financial issues and such for some of the clubs. But those seem bit dated 1 or 2 years ago. Is it possible for you to let me know which ones are not doing well or not so well?

Honestly Ken, the majority of clubs that have dropped their joining fees over the last 15 years or so are struggling to make ends meet !

The problems always start when something goes slightly wrong and these clubs are then stretched to find the money to fix said problems. Without a waiting list and the availability to bring in 10 to 20 members with a $50 to $100k joining fee baseline, things don't seem to get done on shoe string budgets.  

Many suffered during the 10 years of drought from 2004 to 2012 with a lack of water every Summer and into Autumn.

Current example is the lack of funds at one local club to have a groundsman on hand during a very hot weekend pre Xmas to do some hand watering of greens. The failure of the auto sprinkler system to kick in for the entire weekend ( for 4 greens ) from Friday until discovered on the Monday morning has cost them those 4 greens. They tried in vain to fix them with top dressing, fertilizer and water but that failed poorly.

Making a solid choice in which club to join will sometimes stretch the budget but the end result is a confidence in your new club to go forward, not just to survive from one year till the next !

Jon... 

Edited by golfguy33, 16 February 2017 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users