#16 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:25 PM

Here is a ruling for you to chew on.

player A finds himself in a GUR garden bed, so he is entitled to a free drop.

Player A drops his ball and it rolls more than 2 club lengths and hits his buggy wheel.

discussion begins on ruling

is ball in play with a penalty for hitting his equipment.

or 

does he re drop as rolled outside the drop area with no penalty

The ball can roll up to 2 club lengths from the margin of the drop zone but not beyond and then has to be re-dropped.

So no penalty and drop again, if it happens a second time then place where it first contacted the ground on the 2nd drop. If it fails to stay when placed then determine the nearest place it will stay and place. Ball back in play and play on !

Jon... 

#17 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

The ball can roll up to 2 club lengths from the margin of the drop zone but not beyond and then has to be re-dropped.

So no penalty and drop again, if it happens a second time then place where it first contacted the ground on the 2nd drop. If it fails to stay when placed then determine the nearest place it will stay and place. Ball back in play and play on !

Jon... 

A correction - the "margin of the drop zone" is irrelevant.  The ball can roll up to 2 club lengths from the spot it first touched the course within the drop zone.

#18 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

So I put a tee in the ground to identify the nearest point of relief and then take the distance allowed from there ( 2 club lengths for instance ) and mark that position with another tee, ok so far ? Now I drop the ball next to the first tee and it rolls past the second tee not nearer the hole ( 2 club lengths = 90" or 7'6" or 2.3 metres ) by afew inches, do I have to re-drop the ball or has it not rolled outside that margin by 2 club lengths yet ? Or if I drop it at the further tee can it roll another 2 clubs lengths again ?

Jon... 

#19 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

So I put a tee in the ground to identify the nearest point of relief and then take the distance allowed from there ( 2 club lengths for instance ) and mark that position with another tee, ok so far ? Yes.  Now I drop the ball next to the first tee and it rolls past the second tee not nearer the hole ( 2 club lengths = 90" or 7'6" or 2.3 metres ) by afew inches, do I have to re-drop the ball or has it not rolled outside that margin by 2 club lengths yet ? Only need to re-drop if it rolls more than two club lengths from where it first struck a part of the course. Or if I drop it at the further tee can it roll another 2 clubs lengths again ?  Yes - up to two club lengths from where it first struck a part of the course between the two tees.  The tees only define the area in which the ball must first strike a part of the course.

Jon... 

Edited by rogolf, 22 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users