• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

This is a piece from my blog on my own website and which may be of interest.

http://www.bruceyoun...g-then-and-now/

• Madambo and Francie like this

#2 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

Awesome, another great piece Bruce and I'm sure you know how much I enjoyed that.

I have had a few amateur events where I have asked if I could walk the course before play and rules officials have not allowed it as it is "unfair" to other players and more recently had another player complain that I had a World Cup yardage book.
I was surprised for the Australian amateur that they had been provided with the same yardage books for both courses and can still use all the technology on top of that.
  • Madambo likes this

#3 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32814 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Awesome, another great piece Bruce and I'm sure you know how much I enjoyed that.

I have had a few amateur events where I have asked if I could walk the course before play and rules officials have not allowed it as it is "unfair" to other players and more recently had another player complain that I had a World Cup yardage book.
I was surprised for the Australian amateur that they had been provided with the same yardage books for both courses and can still use all the technology on top of that.

how are you looking for caddying duties in Northern's upcoming pennant matches?

It really is an area that's important and lacking in our rounds.

#4 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

how are you looking for caddying duties in Northern's upcoming pennant matches?

It really is an area that's important and lacking in our rounds.

What dates are we talking ?
I'm in Fiji from 31st to the 5th then am at the Vic open from the 6th till the 12th and am pretty much free after that besides a few ivo whitton events coming up.
John the trainee at Northern has asked me if I could do pennant with him and a few trainee events.
  • ink likes this

#5 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32814 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

What dates are we talking ?
I'm in Fiji from 31st to the 5th then am at the Vic open from the 6th till the 12th and am pretty much free after that besides a few ivo whitton events coming up.
John the trainee at Northern has asked me if I could do pennant with him and a few trainee events.

Div games left 5 feb and 12 feb
Div final 19 feb
Grand final 26 feb

#6 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Div games left 5 feb and 12 feb
Div final 19 feb
Grand final 26 feb

Should be good for 19. 26 maybe-boxhill open amateur is also on that week, just give me a reminder if you still want me to come along.

Edited by Lukos87, 27 January 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

Caddying at your local golf club was a great way to get a start in golf, back in the day, Bruce.

As a kid you could earn afew bob, learn the game and the etiquette. Several of the sandbelt clubs had a pool of kids that looped on weekends and it was a well organised affair.

It's a pity that those days have gone, because I think caddying created an interest in golf for the younger kids and that then led to them becoming golfers and members at private clubs.

I've always enjoyed listening to the caddying stories from the Grant brothers or Clayton, it must have been a different world back then !

Jon...    

• Madambo likes this

#8 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

yes you are right golfguy and it was a great way to learn etiquette and earn  couple of bob. How many kids started in this game by caddying for their dads - a lot I would venture to suggest.

I guess I was referring to those who have often asked me how to get a start in caddying in tournaments and hence my thoughts in the piece I wrote.

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users