16 replies to this topic

#16 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

The golfer in my avatar (Harry Vardon) played with iron clubs (except speciality irons) of the same length and lie angle. He won practically everything when he was healthy.

My view is that in a conventional set the shorter clubs have some control built into them with a shorter shaft and more upright lie with the ball being almost under the eyes. When the shafts get longer, this control drifts away from the club design and rests more with player skill.

#17 falsefront

falsefront

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hello everyone as this is my first post.

This is a really interesting concept as I can see many advantages that have been acknowledged in this thread. My question is...is loft and modern club head design suitable for this concept? I've seen Tom Wishon talk about the Sterling irons he designed around this concept. With these irons he focused on the C.O.R of the face in the lower lofted clubs and the use of different materials. I don't know, but it seems to me that for this concept to be executed effectively, thats another step in the direction?

All in all, I like the idea of this throughout the bag (one length for irons, shorter for wedges, longer for metals). If I can improve my consistency and hit more shots out of the middle, in my eyes theres a lot to be gained!

Edited by falsefront, 04 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users