15 replies to this topic

#1 retiredozzie

retiredozzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Just opening a forum topic for any golfer who has used a set of One Length Golf Irons in Australia. There has been a topic about Bryson Dechambeau but I would like reviews from people who have actually used a set of One Length Golf Irons.

A member at our club purchased a set from Milford Golf and had hist first round yesterday after no practice hitting at all. He had tried buying overseas but could not get a company to process PayPal so bought from Milford Golf instead. He carded 1 under his handicap and was glowing in his praise of the set. Time will tell how he goes in the coming weeks with practice. He was also getting 3 inches cut off his driver so that will be another story. There were many club members who were eager to try out a set but this facility does not exist in SA (as far as I know).

With Cobra announcing they will be releasing their one length iron sets there may be quite a market for those who have difficulty with their golf shots.I assume Cobra will have demo sets in pro shops to try.

So could this topic be for those who have actually hit the single length irons to give a review or opinion. Relies may be months coming as golfers wait for these clubs to be available to test before buying.

#2 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

All of my irons are only one length. How could they be more? Quantum irons? Eerie....

• OnaBogeyTrain likes this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

The trend is catching on and it's great to see the OEM have started to listen to the market place.

I've tested and tried one length clubs both in practice and on the course. Unfortunately they were AP2's with reg graphite shafts and didn't really suit me. I've made several sets for customers and they usually re-work one of their own sets as a test case to get the feel and results before spending on OEM options.

I think the general idea is very sound but from the wedge down could be arranged alot better, because of them being way to long for the average punter, imho.

The thinking of having one ball position and one repeatable swing is gold. It also helps when you have a club in your hands that is not overly long, so you can make solid contact more often than not.

Jimmy Walker has also put the cat amongst the pigeons with his 42" driver, maybe the OEM will soon back peddle with their 46" + driver theories !     

Jon...

#4 solarbear

solarbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Bought a set of Wishons 5-SW from Grant James. Best golf purchase I have ever made. Really think the Wishon heads suit a wide range of golfers and feel fantastic.

Really suit the 10+ handicapper looking for improvement and an easier way to play. Might not suit a sub 10 who is already happy with their wedge and iron play.

I havent had any issues with gapping and find the short irons play much better than I expected. Noticed immediate improvement in the 5 and 6 iron.

There is no hard and fast rule to this, but if your 6 or 7 iron is your 150m club you can probably hit the 5 iron just fine. Otherwise you might want a 5 hybrid.

#5 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18830 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

So how do the 2, 3, and 4 irons go I wonder?

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#6 solarbear

solarbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

So how do the 2, 3, and 4 irons go I wonder?

As they dont make them, not well. 4 iron will be released this year. The 5 feels just at the edge of my playability but if you are sporting a high swing speed it could be doable. I dont expect the 2 or 3, if they existed, would be playable for most people.

#7 Janjuc

Janjuc

Lost Soul ©

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts
  • LocationI'm Close, Very Close

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi

From memory same length clubs were popular with the 'Component Crowd' in the USA about 10+ years ago, but seemed to fade after a few years....

JJ

• Madambo likes this

Brag Here or Insert Pithy Remark !!!!

#8 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

Played the cobra single lengths today. Loved the 5-8 longer more accurate could shape the ball both ways and felt comfortable.
9/p are a bit of a problem for me through.
Was good being able to get a lot steeper with the 5/6 irons.

#9 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thought I'd bring this one back to life considering Bryson won on the PGA today with the one lengths.

I've owned my set for around 5 weeks now and they have been great.
Chopped 3.6 off the handicap over winter and have won $300 in shop vouchers in comp and about 2 dozen balls.

Picking up more distance with the 5-7 irons and the ball flight is a lot better than what I used to have.
Still have a conventional 9 and PW in the bag as I'm not into having those at 7 length.

Defiantly worth trying for someone who struggles with consistency in the irons.
  • Madambo, kevin123 and hack2489 like this

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22187 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

Luke, could it be that your new clubs are a better fit for you than your old ones, not just the length?

I've found my best improvements have come from hitting longer, straighter drives. But I do love my Mizzies as fitted by Jon.

#11 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Luke, could it be that your new clubs are a better fit for you than your old ones, not just the length?

I've found my best improvements have come from hitting longer, straighter drives. But I do love my Mizzies as fitted by Jon.

Demos were great and the fitted ones are also performing.
Tried the variable in the same model and 3 other brands playing with shafts and lie angles.
One lengths were always miles ahead for me on 5-8.
Being quite short and having a flat swing it lets me get steeper on the longer irons getting more compression and a higher ball flight.
Defiantly the one length which has helped me.
  • Weetbix likes this

#12 Li Ning

Li Ning

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16366 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

https://www.linkedin...lso-puts-bae-배-

Post this here for you
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#13 bill1978patt

bill1978patt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thought I'd bring this one back to life considering Bryson won on the PGA today with the one lengths.

I've owned my set for around 5 weeks now and they have been great.
Chopped 3.6 off the handicap over winter and have won $300 in shop vouchers in comp and about 2 dozen balls.

Picking up more distance with the 5-7 irons and the ball flight is a lot better than what I used to have.
Still have a conventional 9 and PW in the bag as I'm not into having those at 7 length.

Defiantly worth trying for someone who struggles with consistency in the irons.

Hi Luke, did you get the forged version or the standard version?

I demoed some of these last week and really like them, but found I had to go from a Stiff shaft to a Reg lighter shaft to get the same height. Also found the lie angles I need are 2 degree more upright than any other club I have tried? Going to try them again in a month or so at another demo day before I consider taking the plunge.

Edited by bill1978patt, 18 July 2017 - 10:07 AM.

• Madambo likes this

#14 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hi Luke, did you get the forged version or the standard version?

I demoed some of these last week and really like them, but found I had to go from a Stiff shaft to a Reg lighter shaft to get the same height. Also found the lie angles I need are 2 degree more upright than any other club I have tried? Going to try them again in a month or so at another demo day before I consider taking the plunge.

I just got the cavity back set, im hoping to buy the forged demo set from the club when a new model is released.
I got lie angles 1 up and KBS tour flat 110 shafts in mine.

If you can get the chance I would take them out on course 2/3 times to try properly to get a good feel for them around the course with proper lies and also bring along your own 9/PW to compare.

#15 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

This is the type of set up I would have if I was going down this path.

Where Bryson loses me is his driver, 3 wood and hybrid are all different lengths. This must really mess up his one plane swing......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users