Photo

Need Advise On Cheap Golf Balls, Tm Burner Tour Vs Current Srixon Distance.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Hello All, 

I preface everything i am about to say, knowing that at my skill level balls probably don't make a difference but I thought i would ask anyway. I am chasing some advise, I like to buy balls in bulk and the time is drawing close where i need to re-supply. I usually have issues with side spin and try to buy balls that don't accentuate that. I have been fairly successful in the past with Q-stars (usually older models), but i cant find any decent deals on them at the moment. Golf box do however have decent deals on TM Burner Tour, and also Current model Srixon Distance. Both balls are about the same price, about $1.25-$1.35 per ball. 

I know the Distance are pretty well rocks, but at least i know what i'm getting, but I've never used the Burner Tour. So i guess the question is, am I better off sticking with the Current generation of rock, or,  are the 5 year old TMs going to give me some advantage? 

#2 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

In trying to determine your level of ability Srixon Soft Feel may be worth a look at. They seem to react similar to a distance ball whilst stop (rather than spin) quickly on greens of good quality.  

#3 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35564 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Drummonds online you can get AD333s for about $19 a dozen.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#4 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

In trying to determine your level of ability Srixon Soft Feel may be worth a look at. They seem to react similar to a distance ball whilst stop (rather than spin) quickly on greens of good quality.  

Cheers Voss, I have used them in the past and didn't really like them but might give them another go. 

Drummonds online you can get AD333s for about $19 a dozen.

Thanks Goldy! Hadn't even thought about drummonds, That's a good price! 

#5 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8313 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Rsc41....
Question are you going through balls hand over fist in a round or....
Rather than throw money at new balls a purchase from Squizzys of some of their better quality used balls...
You can pay swfa for some new balls but are they going to help your game... a mixed brew might be of benefit
  • voss and WasabiPea_Shooter like this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#6 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Rsc41....
Question are you going through balls hand over fist in a round or....
Rather than throw money at new balls a purchase from Squizzys of some of their better quality used balls...
You can pay swfa for some new balls but are they going to help your game... a mixed brew might be of benefit

Hey Peg, 

Usually go through 1-2 balls a round sometimes more if having an off day. I have just found n the past some of the used balls are just as expensive if not more so then the right new ball bought in bulk at the right time. To be honest i had not heard of squizzys before now. 

#7 the piranha

the piranha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Hey Peg, 

Usually go through 1-2 balls a round sometimes more if having an off day. I have just found n the past some of the used balls are just as expensive if not more so then the right new ball bought in bulk at the right time. To be honest i had not heard of squizzys before now. 

Haven't tried the TM Burner yet, but I have played AD333. It is an ok-ish ball, much prefer the soft feel myself. Try the Callaway Supersoft, https://www.golfclea...ball-white.html, they are having a sale for $22 per box. Very good value and it is a great ball.

If you have slightly more budget try the Srixon Z Star/XV, they are the best value golf ball imho, almost comparable to Pro V1 at less than $40.

To reduce losing expensive balls, switch to cheaper ball if you are playing a particularly challenging hole (plenty of water, bushes and out of bounds area). If you are just practicing switch ball as you please ;)

#8 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

I think squizzys has a sale on AAA's atm.

Probably need to buy 4 - 6 dozen to make it attractive. (postage same for 1 dozen as 6 dozen)

#9 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

To reduce losing expensive balls, switch to cheaper ball if you are playing a particularly challenging hole (plenty of water, bushes and out of bounds area). If you are just practicing switch ball as you please ;)

All holes are particularly challenging to me, you would be surprised how many "hazards" that shouldn't be in play, that i can bring into play. Anyway, burnersofts are $17 per dozen on GFO and i have been talking to Boz about trying out some visions. so should be all good for the interim. 

• pegasus2357, Weetbix, Placegetter and 2 others like this

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38776 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

All holes are particularly challenging to me, you would be surprised how many "hazards" that shouldn't be in play, that i can bring into play. Anyway, burnersofts are $17 per dozen on GFO and i have been talking to Boz about trying out some visions. so should be all good for the interim.

Lol - sadly that is true

But your positive approach and cheerfulness are a lesson for us all
  • Schmuck likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Lol - sadly that is true

But your positive approach and cheerfulness are a lesson for us all

Thanks Weetie, i appreciate the positive feedback. 

• BumpunRun and Weetbix like this

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Tried the new Snell TBM ball yesterday and was very impressed. Great feel from tee to green, very accurate and nice spin around the greens. Putting was a treat with distance control and that soft feel off the clubface. All round terrific performance. Wear and tare was a little bit disappointing because it lost colour and cut up more than the new breed of urethane covered balls in the market atm. Not a big problem for me as I use a new pill every round. Cost is $4.00 per ball and can only be bought online in Oz, worth a try if you play Pro V's, I think the Snell is a better ball and made by the same guy that originally developed the Pro V for Titleist.

Jon...   

#13 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3336 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Any merit in fixing the side spin issue rather than changing the ball?
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#14 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Any merit in fixing the side spin issue rather than changing the ball?

Have been taking to steps to fix that as well. But as previously stated have the ball situation sorted.
  • The_Boz and Placegetter like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users