#1 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

Who will end up being World Number One by year's end?

1. Jason Day - will his body hold up and will the putter continue to run hot?

2. Rory McIlroy - Major distraction coming up. Does he have the desire?

3. Dustin Johnson - made major inroads last year. Putter? Snow cones?

4. Henrik Stenson - will he be a one major wonder?

5. Jordan Spieth - can the short game and unbelievable putting bail him out?

6. Hideki Matsuyama - the first Japanese to win a major?

7. Adam Scott - will he ditch Aim Point and actually hole something within 8 feet?

8. Others like Patrick Reed (hard to like actually), Alex Noren, Brooks Koepka (touted by some)......or dare I say it.....Tiger?

For mine, I'd like to see Jason, Rory and Dustin all have a great year, Tiger to be competitive, some new young talent come on (Thorbjorn Olesen perhaps), Adam to work out a way to make something on the greens (still the benchmark tee to green), any Aussie to do well.

Have a feeling Rory wants that Number One mantle back and may well do it.

• Francie likes this

#2 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12543 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Who will end up being World Number One by year's end?

1. Jason Day - will his body hold up and will the putter continue to run hot?

2. Rory McIlroy - Major distraction coming up. Does he have the desire?

3. Dustin Johnson - made major inroads last year. Putter? Snow cones?

4. Henrik Stenson - will he be a one major wonder?

5. Jordan Spieth - can the short game and unbelievable putting bail him out?

6. Hideki Matsuyama - the first Japanese to win a major?

7. Adam Scott - will he ditch Aim Point and actually hole something within 8 feet?

8. Others like Patrick Reed (hard to like actually), Alex Noren, Brooks Koepka (touted by some)......or dare I say it.....Tiger?

For mine, I'd like to see Jason, Rory and Dustin all have a great year, Tiger to be competitive, some new young talent come on (Thorbjorn Olesen perhaps), Adam to work out a way to make something on the greens (still the benchmark tee to green), any Aussie to do well.

Have a feeling Rory wants that Number One mantle back and may well do it.

Tiger needs at least two years to even sniff #1. Ranking points are for past two years and he doesnt really have any from last year. Well a couple from Hero event and what else?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#3 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

True. I just said I would like him to be competitive....he has no chance to be numero uno anytime soon... or perhaps ever! 

• Madambo and Ji Bao He like this

#4 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Really don't follow the tour closely enough to give an especially learned opinion, but I would love to see tight competition this year between Rory and Jordan. I think apart from their golf they're both absolute class acts, great role models for juniors, and great faces for the game. Can't say I've followed JD enough to understand whether he falls in that class or not, but he's Australian and drips quality, so I'll throw him in the mix anyway.

I feel like Adam Scott's best days may have passed, but even if not #1, I'd really love to see him bag another major and cement his place as a great player, rather than just a good one.

Tiger - pfft! Obviously he's had more of an impact on the game than most (maybe anyone?), and I do respect that, but with so many bad things happening to good people in the world, I find it hard to feel much pity when bad things happen to people who seem to be just a tad morally bankrupt. If it turns out his time has passed (from golf, I don't want him dead), then all the better.

Apart from that, would love to see some more youth rise towards the top, and hopefully some of the older crop can stand up and show them it won't happen without a fight. One of the things I really love about golf (would love it more if I had Foxtel) is that there's a broad range of people who can potentially play at the highest level. It's not a cookie-cutter, homogeneous affair, like so many other sports. I love Rugby (the real one) for similar reasons, though it's a little different in how it fits that description.

• Francie and upnin like this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#5 The Gap Wedge Draw

The Gap Wedge Draw

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationIn the left rough on 7th 105m from pin

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

I think the Euro Tour might come up trumps this year. Plenty of guys like BEEF coming up and playing great golf.

The US seems to be just the aforementioned and no new blood threatening.
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#6 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33775 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

Max

#7 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Hideki Matsuyama for me.

The guy ia a freaking machine

If Jason Day actually gave back to Australia, i would support him.

#8 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36484 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

Ed Rayner.
  • Francie and iRON MiCK like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#9 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

With lessons every 4-6 weeks now and a full understanding of his game, it's hard to go past R Mould being number 1.

We'll maybe not world number 1 because he'll be behind on the ranking points already and maybe not even number 1 on this site, so I think any of the other names mentioned above will be number 1.
  • Ji Bao He, Weetbix, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#10 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

With lessons every 4-6 weeks now and a full understanding of his game, it's hard to go past R Mould being number 1.

We'll maybe not world number 1 because he'll be behind on the ranking points already and maybe not even number 1 on this site, so I think any of the other names mentioned above will be number 1.

He's certainly number 1 for entertainment value and using up brain-dead moments!

• Ji Bao He likes this

#11 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2782 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Day vs McIlroy for #1.

Day just has the ability under pressure to keep there and take it on. Would back him in on any clutch putts any day of the week. He just needs to keep his body in check.

McIlroy with the equipment change (Callaway rumored to be in the bag from driver to irons + Putter. Vokey Wedges and ProV1 ball). No equipment deal for 2017 so can play what ever he wants and may find the bag to keep him in the top spot all year.

Outside of those two hard to see who can challenge legitimately. DJ has a chance but does his putting hold up this year? Scott can but has to be on every week and he may this year with being back to the tour as the family has grown up somewhat now.

Matsuyama a big chance and is probably the smokey.

Edited by Joe79, 04 January 2017 - 03:06 PM.

Cap: 17.9 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#12 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16547 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

True. I just said I would like him to be competitive....he has no chance to be numero uno anytime soon... or perhaps ever!

Madambo jumps the gun sometimes and quite doesn't read things properly...
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#13 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16547 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Mike Hunt.

DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#14 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12543 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Madambo jumps the gun sometimes and quite doesn't read things properly...

speed reader I am

• Ji Bao He likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#15 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Day vs McIlroy for #1.

Day just has the ability under pressure to keep there and take it on. Would back him in on any clutch putts any day of the week. He just needs to keep his body in check.

McIlroy with the equipment change (Callaway rumored to be in the bag from driver to irons + Putter. Vokey Wedges and ProV1 ball). No equipment deal for 2017 so can play what ever he wants and may find the bag to keep him in the top spot all year.

Outside of those two hard to see who can challenge legitimately. DJ has a chance but does his putting hold up this year? Scott can but has to be on every week and he may this year with being back to the tour as the family has grown up somewhat now.

Matsuyama a big chance and is probably the smokey.

Callaway isnt a rumour Joe.
Announced he has signed the equipment deal on NYD

GBB Epic Subzero
Callaway MB irons
Vokey wedges
Odyssey putter
Pro V1X
  • Ji Bao He likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users