Photo

Toolish - Time To Step Back In The Ring!

improvement goals

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Last couple of rounds have been more of the same.

Shooting around 80, only hitting 6-7 fairways.  Have spent a bit more time at the range and I think a reverse pivot was starting to sneak in there...will work on getting that out of the game and hopefully that should straighten the driver out.

On a positive note 4 of my last 5 rounds have been 80 or better, only 5 of the 15 before that were 80 or better, so there has been some improvement, just need to step it up a notch further.

How is your driver setup Toolish, what length, loft, swingweight, flex etc ?

Is the miss a constant left or right ?

Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 12 March 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#32 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Good to have you back on the forums Toolish.
Are you giving the Tris away for awhile or merely time sharing between the two?

Trying to time share between the two, kids are growing up a bit so have a bit more freedom to do both.

That said, still need to train more and play more golf!

• BuggeraCup likes this

#33 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

How is your driver setup Toolish, what length, loft, swingweight, flex etc ?

Is the miss a constant left or right ?

Jon...

R15 9.5 set up to go 9, Speeder 57 S flex.  Standard length.

Miss has been everything.  Hook, block and slice.

I really don't think it is a club issue, it is a swing thing.  Last round was good after working on removing the reverse pivot, only issue now seems to be when I get quick from the top I hang it out to the right.

#34 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1260 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

Trying to time share between the two, kids are growing up a bit so have a bit more freedom to do both.

That said, still need to train more and play more golf!

I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat at the moment.
Two young kids so both my triathlon fitness and golf game is mediocre at the moment!!!

#35 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

After about 7 years of half arsing my golf it is time to get back in the ring.  I see a few other journals here so I thought I would kick one off as well!

I have been playing golf for about 20 years now.  Through that time I have had phases of working hard, and phases of not really working on it at all...I think it is time to try to improve again.

So right now I am playing off 4.8.  2016 I played 11 competition rounds, and only 1 was actually better than handicap so I am on the way out unless a few things change!

What is going to change?

1.  I am committing to playing more.  At least 20 competition rounds this year.

2.  I am committing to practising more.  I have been to the range 3 times this year, and 2 of those are in the last fortnight.  At least 1 range session per week.  Short game practise will be at home, at least 15 minutes per day.

3.  I am committing to practising the right things...first lesson is Tuesday next week.

4.  I am committing to playing other courses to grow my game.  I have played too much at my local course and will play more Open events to see some other places!

5.  I am committing to measuring it all.  I bought a GPS yesterday and from this point forward I will be tracking stats to work out where I am losing shots!

6.  I am committing to a weekly update here!

The long term goal is to get the handicap below 3 which allows me to play some of the large state amateur event.  Ideally, Vic Amateur at the end of this year!

Well, a year later and a lot happened.

Other than the weekly update I actually did ok for the first few months of the year.  I had a few other things come up and life got in the way.  Overall I had a good golfing year.

1.  I am committing to playing more.  At least 20 competition rounds this year. - Played 30

2.  I am committing to practising more.  I have been to the range 3 times this year, and 2 of those are in the last fortnight.  At least 1 range session per week.  Short game practise will be at home, at least 15 minutes per day. I did this for about 4 months, also did a lot of work with a mirror, video and impact bag.  Second half of the year it backed off.  Getting back on track.

3.  I am committing to practising the right things...first lesson is Tuesday next week. - Had 2 lessons but also signed up for a 100 day online lesson/challenge which was great for me.

4.  I am committing to playing other courses to grow my game.  I have played too much at my local course and will play more Open events to see some other places!
I ended up playing 2 local opens, would have been more but my mother passed away right in the middle of open season.  Finished top 10 in both.
Also played Div 1 pennant so got around a few other courses

5.  I am committing to measuring it all.  I bought a GPS yesterday and from this point forward I will be tracking stats to work out where I am losing shots!
Made me realise I really need to work on wedge distance control, and also I am about half a club shorter than I thought I was.

The long term goal is to get the handicap below 3 which allows me to play some of the large state amateur event.  Ideally, Vic Amateur at the end of this year!
Finished the year at 3.0 after starting at 4.9.  Did not get low enough in time to go for the Vic Am in 2017 so will try again this year.

• GhettoGolfer, CaNadiAn MiCk and iRON MiCK like this

#36 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42054 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Solid work! Good luck making the Vic Am this year

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#37 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Last week shot 2 under the card, got the handicap down to 2.3.

I was 4 under with 2 to play so there is more there still.

It has been too hot to practice well, hopefully that ends soon though!

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

#38 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Back to reality today.  5 over, missed sooo many greens right.

Short game stood up pretty well overall.

#39 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

After spending 3 weeks fighting my swing I found a bit of a feel that works for me a couple of weeks ago, so nice feeling like I have some idea again after a couple of shocking rounds.

Shot 1 over on Saturday.  Was 2 under with 4 to play then 3 putted 15 and 16 after I had putter well all day which pissed me off (had 40 foot putts on both that I left about 4-5 feet short, pulled one pushed one!).  Made a good par at 17 then hit my worst iron of the day at 18 to bogey that.

Handicap is currently floating around 2.5 and if I know feel like a round played around par is not that special for me.  It is a different mind set having now gone under par a couple of times.  It almost sounds a bit arrogant writing it but that is my reality at the moment.

I do need to practice my short game more though...

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#40 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

3.  I am committing to practising the right things...first lesson is Tuesday next week. - Had 2 lessons but also signed up for a 100 day online lesson/challenge which was great for me.

Hey Toolish, what was the 100 day online lesson thing you signed up for?

And what made it so good for you?

• Toolish likes this

#41 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Hey Toolish, what was the 100 day online lesson thing you signed up for?

And what made it so good for you?

It was run by a local pro here.  A group of about 10 of us signed up, it was run through facebook.  It gave a sort of team atmosphere to the golf with encouraging each other, making friends etc.  It also gave some accountability.

He is big on slow motion repetition and mirror work and the challenge was all about doing what you could at home rather than having to hit 1000's of balls.

The big plus for me was having a pro available for feedback consistently and the group mentality driving each other along.

• bazinoz likes this

#42 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10222 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

After spending 3 weeks fighting my swing I found a bit of a feel that works for me a couple of weeks ago, so nice feeling like I have some idea again after a couple of shocking rounds.

Shot 1 over on Saturday. Was 2 under with 4 to play then 3 putted 15 and 16 after I had putter well all day which pissed me off (had 40 foot putts on both that I left about 4-5 feet short, pulled one pushed one!). Made a good par at 17 then hit my worst iron of the day at 18 to bogey that.

Handicap is currently floating around 2.5 and if I know feel like a round played around par is not that special for me. It is a different mind set having now gone under par a couple of times. It almost sounds a bit arrogant writing it but that is my reality at the moment.

I do need to practice my short game more though...

Goals shift with improved ability. No arrogance at all. I could only dream of shooting those sorts of numbers.
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improvement, goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users