Photo

Toolish - Time To Step Back In The Ring!

improvement goals

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

Have seen somewhere that some people have tried to "lawn bowl" their golf ball across tricky greens etc and then try channelling that feeling when putting?

What would you consider an acceptable putting number for you in a round of golf? 

At the moment 30 would be nice.

If I can hit 10 greens, have 30 putts will shoot a couple over as long as the greens I miss I hit with the next shot.

#17 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Standing further away from the ball has really helped the putting stroke, not sure how I got in the habit of standing so close!

Holed 100 putts from 80cm a couple of days ago and starting to really feel like the stroke is grooved.  Keen to get back out on course and hopefully see some improvements there!

#18 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Took the revised putting stroke to the course.  It was better but this round was also a case of stats lying.  Hit my irons awesome, but looking at the data you would not know that.  Drove it pretty average, doubled the first and the ninth to turn at 5 over, then shot 1 under on the back.

First time I have ever been under par for 9 around my home track!

6 Fairways

7 GIR

28 Putts

I had 3 putts from less than a foot off the green, so that could have easily been 10 GIR and 31 putts which I actually think reflected the round better.

Best round I have played in a long time!

• GhettoGolfer and Itchy4Scratch like this

#19 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2782 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Standing further away from the ball has really helped the putting stroke, not sure how I got in the habit of standing so close!

Holed 100 putts from 80cm a couple of days ago and starting to really feel like the stroke is grooved.  Keen to get back out on course and hopefully see some improvements there!

Are your eyes directly over the ball when putting Toolish?

Or does standing further away mean your eyes are inside the line? ie were you previously so close that your eyes were outside the line of the putt?

#20 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Good point Bazinoz, easily checked by dropping a coin from the eyes.

Keep it up Toolish

#21 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

Are your eyes directly over the ball when putting Toolish?

Or does standing further away mean your eyes are inside the line? ie were you previously so close that your eyes were outside the line of the putt?

They were well outside.  Using a putting mirror was what highlighted the issue for me.

#22 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2782 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

They were well outside.  Using a putting mirror was what highlighted the issue for me.

All good mate. Not that I'm giving any advice - I'm not exactly Jason Day on the greens :)

Just wanted to know what's working. I think my eyes are often inside the line, and wondered if that's what worked for you.

#23 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

All good mate. Not that I'm giving any advice - I'm not exactly Jason Day on the greens :)

Just wanted to know what's working. I think my eyes are often inside the line, and wondered if that's what worked for you.

You were spot on mate, unreal how different it feels.

Played again yesterday, went from my best round in a couple of years to my worst.  I have not done the stats yet but barely hit a fairway and put myself in a lot of ****!  Mentally I checked out pretty early.

I actually got a bit complacent after my good round on the weekend thinking the swing changes I was working on had stuck and the putter was sorted...still need to keep working harder!

27 points!

#24 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Did the sums on the last round.  5 Fairways (and some of the misses were big!), 6 GIR (and a lot of big misses due to the drives), 32 putts on 17 holes (lost a ball on one hole and was in the pocket before putting as stableford).

I was off mentally, worried about the score from the start and did not grind it out at all...very dissapointed with myself!

#25 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Another round in the bank.  80 off the stick, 11 GIR and 36 putts.

Actually felt like I putted ok without making anything.  Had 11 tap ins for the round, half of those could have easily dropped.

Kept hitting irons to about 20 feet then just missing the putts, then when I missed the green failing to get up and down.

Frustrating as that really is as bad as I think I could have scored!

• Weetbix and Itchy4Scratch like this

#26 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4437 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

Another round in the bank. 80 off the stick, 11 GIR and 36 putts.

Actually felt like I putted ok without making anything. Had 11 tap ins for the round, half of those could have easily dropped.

Kept hitting irons to about 20 feet then just missing the putts, then when I missed the green failing to get up and down.

Frustrating as that really is as bad as I think I could have scored!

It will all come together one day and you'll shoot the lights out.

#27 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

Finally did the stats from last weekends round.  6 Fairway, 6 greens, 27 putts - 79.  Admittedly that is low because there were some shorter first putts!  

Oh, if only the driver and putter would come together.  My iron play is fairly consistent, it is just either end seems all or nothing!

Almost forgot, that includes 2 shanks from the middle of the fairway with wedge in hand!

Might be time for another lesson I think!

#28 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Last couple of rounds have been more of the same.

Shooting around 80, only hitting 6-7 fairways.  Have spent a bit more time at the range and I think a reverse pivot was starting to sneak in there...will work on getting that out of the game and hopefully that should straighten the driver out.

On a positive note 4 of my last 5 rounds have been 80 or better, only 5 of the 15 before that were 80 or better, so there has been some improvement, just need to step it up a notch further.

#29 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Good to have you back on the forums Toolish.
Are you giving the Tris away for awhile or merely time sharing between the two?

#30 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

I like your concept to try and play different courses as well, I think that definitely makes you a more well rounded player. A familiar home course can mask a lot of swing/mental issues as it allows you to often still post a score despite not hitting it well.

I enjoy playing a range of courses because I get bored playing the same one all the time and, at the moment, I'm not a member anywhere. I think it has really improved my game and my handicap though.
  • Francie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improvement, goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users