Photo

Toolish - Time To Step Back In The Ring!

improvement goals

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

After about 7 years of half arsing my golf it is time to get back in the ring.  I see a few other journals here so I thought I would kick one off as well!

I have been playing golf for about 20 years now.  Through that time I have had phases of working hard, and phases of not really working on it at all...I think it is time to try to improve again.

So right now I am playing off 4.8.  2016 I played 11 competition rounds, and only 1 was actually better than handicap so I am on the way out unless a few things change!

What is going to change?

1.  I am committing to playing more.  At least 20 competition rounds this year.

2.  I am committing to practising more.  I have been to the range 3 times this year, and 2 of those are in the last fortnight.  At least 1 range session per week.  Short game practise will be at home, at least 15 minutes per day.

3.  I am committing to practising the right things...first lesson is Tuesday next week.

4.  I am committing to playing other courses to grow my game.  I have played too much at my local course and will play more Open events to see some other places!

5.  I am committing to measuring it all.  I bought a GPS yesterday and from this point forward I will be tracking stats to work out where I am losing shots!

6.  I am committing to a weekly update here!

The long term goal is to get the handicap below 3 which allows me to play some of the large state amateur event.  Ideally, Vic Amateur at the end of this year!

• Madambo and RobNewy like this

#2 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

I'm only 2 months in, but you have encourage me even more.

• Madambo likes this

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38530 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

Look forward to reading about it

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#4 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Well, comp round 1 for the year done today.

Drove it really well, hit 9 fairways, the misses weren't bad and did not really cost me anything.

Iron play was atrocious, lots of thin shots and pulls.  Only hit 6 greens, and not many of them were close.

Short game was not good either, did not hit anything to stone dead range.

34 putts was mainly a reflection of the fact that most of my first putts were too long to be make able.  Had 4-5 of the front nine between 10 and 20 feet burn the edge.  Actually felt I putted ok, but just did not drop.

End result 82.

Hopefully the lesson will help tighten up the iron play, and it is time for some chipping practice in the back yard!

Onwards and upwards from here!

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#5 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi Toolish. Anything changed in your personal life to give you this increased time or focus?
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#6 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Don't let the give up be a stranger

Spent an hour today chipping bunkering and putting.

Keep at it

#7 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Hi Toolish. Anything changed in your personal life to give you this increased time or focus?

Not really.  Just re-prioritising a few things.  Mainly related to how I spend my 'down' time.

Less time in front of the TV etc, more time working on golf game.

Got the wife on board in regards to playing more so that is a step in the right direction.

#8 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Had my first lesson tonight...it was interesting.

I had a couple of things I knew where wrong with my swing but could not get them out of it...a couple of different thoughts and I am heading in the right direction...keen to work on the swing now I have something specific to work on!

Have been doing 15 minutes of putting every night and loving it!

#9 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

Round 2 for the year in the bank...oh how things change!

Driver : Hit 4 fairways!  That said there was only 2 drives that put me in real trouble.  2 found fairway pots, but they were ok, the other 6 were all within a metre or 2 of the fairway.

Irons were better but still not as good as they need to be.  Hit 9 Greens.

Putting was shocking.  37 putts for the round.

End result 84.

That said I was really happy with how I hit the ball given it is less than a week since my lesson so the swing is not ingrained at all.  Have gained 15-20 off the tee which I really did not think was possible, and probably gained 1 club with irons and it is just a nicer ball flight.

Lots of work to do, but I already knew that!

• Madambo likes this

#10 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12622 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Nice to see you back on the forum, back into golf, back into bitching about golf, back into the love/hate relationship with golf.  Just nice to see you back and enjoying it really.  Won't take you long to be where you want to be with what you have shown already. 

• Madambo likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#11 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

Decided yesterday to trial an alignment line on the ball.

Holes 100 putts in a row from 50cm, a task I had failed at the 2 days previous...onwards to 60cm today!

• Madambo likes this

#12 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Decided yesterday to trial an alignment line on the ball.

Holes 100 putts in a row from 50cm, a task I had failed at the 2 days previous...onwards to 60cm today!

100 putts from 60 cm today...70cm tomorrow and we roll on!

#13 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

Ok, so 70cm seems to be the limit as far as holing putts...a few times I got to about 30 then missed one.

All mental, just need to line up and stroke it but every now and then it just feels wrong.  I need to learn to back off and go again, same as when on course with all shots.  Every now and then one just feels wrong but I often go through with it anyway.

Either way hitting 100+ putts a day is good for my game, not so sure about my back though!

• Madambo likes this

#14 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

Another round under the belt.  9 Greens, 37 putts.  82 Shots!

Ball striking is getting better each round since I had a lesson.

Putting is obviously the issue.  Had some practice yesterday with the putting mirror, I think I had got into the habit of standing too close to the ball, eye-line was outside the ball.

Moved away a bit and the whole thing felt better and on the carpet at home I made a lot more putts.

Only other issue is green reading, I am never overly confident in my reads!  Have been looking into Aim Point method, not sure if it is something that can be learned off DVD or need to go to a clinic/school.

#15 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8739 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Another round under the belt.  9 Greens, 37 putts.  82 Shots!

Ball striking is getting better each round since I had a lesson.

Putting is obviously the issue.  Had some practice yesterday with the putting mirror, I think I had got into the habit of standing too close to the ball, eye-line was outside the ball.

Moved away a bit and the whole thing felt better and on the carpet at home I made a lot more putts.

Only other issue is green reading, I am never overly confident in my reads!  Have been looking into Aim Point method, not sure if it is something that can be learned off DVD or need to go to a clinic/school.

Have seen somewhere that some people have tried to "lawn bowl" their golf ball across tricky greens etc and then try channelling that feeling when putting?

What would you consider an acceptable putting number for you in a round of golf? 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improvement, goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users