Photo

Taking A Unplayable Due To Being Physically Unable ???

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32886 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Trees are 100% organic....unless it's not the free range ones...

#32 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Along similar lines, a while back I witnessed a player tee off and hit the ball about 10 metres and end up in a really awkward position in front of some trees and just short of water. Whilst awkward, he could make his stance and had an unobstructed swing. About 8 shots later, he hacked it out from where he was continued.

Discussing after the fact, he mentioned that "he wished he could have just taken an unplayable", to which i advised, he could have.

He was of the impression that the ball truly had to be unplayable in order to take that relief.

Even after i explained that technically you can declare a ball unplayable anywhere (except for a water hazard) he still didn't think it was the appropriate thing to do.

Anyway. was interesting i thought - personally i would have taken an unplayable straight away.

It is quite probable that stroke and distance was the best option - 10 metres back to the tee and he could have teed his ball up.

• languid likes this

#33 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Stroke and distance is a wonderful Rule. Simple and helpful and fair it seems to slip by most players.
Pity.
Here is a classic use,
Hit a tee shot into a tree or wall or som thing not far from the tee. Ball rockets back and goes into crapland behind you.
Say nothing tee up and play 3 off the tee. Stroke and Distance.
Get the ball later if you want.
  • pom and rogolf like this

#34 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Stroke and distance is a wonderful Rule. Simple and helpful and fair it seems to slip by most players.
Pity.
Here is a classic use,
Hit a tee shot into a tree or wall or som thing not far from the tee. Ball rockets back and goes into crapland behind you.
Say nothing tee up and play 3 off the tee. Stroke and Distance.
Get the ball later if you want.

Isn't one stroke penalty enough?

I know what the rule is, I'm just suggesting that playing his second from the tee is penalty enough without adding another.  At the top level of golf, one stroke can mean an annual salary difference in income.  At the other extreme (36 'capper), he'll do a lot of those each round.  How much do you want to humiliate the poor bastard and keep him on 36?

#35 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Isn't one stroke penalty enough?

I know what the rule is, I'm just suggesting that playing his second from the tee is penalty enough without adding another.  At the top level of golf, one stroke can mean an annual salary difference in income.  At the other extreme (36 'capper), he'll do a lot of those each round.  How much do you want to humiliate the poor bastard and keep him on 36?

Can't agree.

You  hit  a crap shot into deep trouble. To deal with that situation might be absolutely dreadful playing several strokes just trying to get back to the fairway. It is a bargain to get one stroke penalty whether a pro or a hacker.  

The 36 marker is humiliated by his incompetence maybe. He should be getting lessons and practising.

If he is ultra "humiliated" in a comp he picks up. 

Stableford would suit such a hacker best. Avoid medals but if you can't finish a hole reasonably so what. You are not going  to win anything. Enjoy the company, enjoy playing and to hell with the score.

The Ruling bodies have sensibly reduced many penalties over the years. This one is not likely to change in the next 100 years. 

As for Professionals I don't think you speak for them.

• pom, RobNewy and Goldy like this

#36 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Old B

I was looking at the New Draft Rules. Good brief reasons on level of penalties given in Rule 1-3b.

#37 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Old B
I was looking at the New Draft Rules. Good brief reasons on level of penalties given in Rule 1-3b.

I will get around to reading it.

I played with an A grader today (off 9). He was complaining that the last MM was won by a C grader with a 59 and his 64 got him nowhere. If penalties were only one stroke (or distance), C graders, who have frequent occurrences, would have their handicaps drop quicker and thus have less chance for a 59 on a 'good' day.

#38 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

I will get around to reading it.
I played with an A grader today (off 9). He was complaining that the last MM was won by a C grader with a 59 and his 64 got him nowhere. If penalties were only one stroke (or distance), C graders, who have frequent occurrences, would have their handicaps drop quicker and thus have less chance for a 59 on a 'good' day.

A common complaint by A grade players.
C graders can have a big day out. There are a lot more of them so statistically that group has a bigger chance of a really big day. C graders are often newer and on a steep improvement curve.
The C graders fab score is addressed in the handicapping system.
The Handicapping system and Course ratings and slope are the areas needing regular tweaking.

The handicapping system is the place to go for change not the penalty system is n the Rules.
Other possibilities on trophies is to have grades.
Another thing I like is to reward Scratch score on the day.
When I put up trophies ( vouchers and so on) I always make sure there is a good prize for the best scratch score on the day.

#39 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

"Common complaint" Probably have good grounds.

Grades are usually spread fairly evenly throughout the field.
Most of the C graders I've come across are old farts who are never going to get any better, but I have met the occasional 'up & coming' young buck.

#40 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

"Common complaint" Probably have good grounds.
Grades are usually spread fairly evenly throughout the field.
Most of the C graders I've come across are old farts who are never going to get any better, but I have met the occasional 'up & coming' young buck.

An even spread of grades is uncommon in my experience.
I have been a member of a few Clubs.
At any rate the very low medal rounds net come a lot from people not in A grade with handicaps in the low to mid teens as well. That is happening now in our current Club Champs.
Younger blokes on the improving list.
What is see in Higher handicappers is the occasional handicap cheat. The trophy hunters.
It seems we have different perspectives and will just disagree on looking for a Rules solution to a handicapping matter.

#41 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

An even spread of grades is uncommon in my experience.
I have been a member of a few Clubs.
At any rate the very low medal rounds net come a lot from people not in A grade with handicaps in the low to mid teens as well. That is happening now in our current Club Champs.
Younger blokes on the improving list.
What is see in Higher handicappers is the occasional handicap cheat. The trophy hunters.
It seems we have different perspectives and will just disagree on looking for a Rules solution to a handicapping matter.

What is the proportion of 'A' graders in the field? It is normally low or very low. If the handicaps are correct, the proportion in the top 10 should be about the same

#42 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

old farts who are never going to get any better, but I have met the occasional 'up & coming' young buck.

Oi.  I am an up and coming old fart, I'll have you know.

• pom likes this

#43 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

I like to think that I am as well, Colin. But my handicap doesn't seem to get any better.

#44 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

How can you tell if you an old fart?
What is the age of Fartation?

#45 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

What is the proportion of 'A' graders in the field? It is normally low or very low. If the handicaps are correct, the proportion in the top 10 should be about the same

I found that a while ago the GolfLink data base revealed 24% in A grade 0-12, and 38% in B grade 13-20 and 38% I C grade 21 plus.
This means on average The A GRADERS are outnumbered 3 to 1.
I am trying for current data.
I doubt it has changed much.
When conditions are not so good on any day The A graders usually figure more in the prizes. That goes with experience and general competence.
There is no doubt that extremely low handicappers will hit a performance wall.
Take a player on plus 5. Even if had an amazing 60 scratch on par 72 his net is 65. That is regularly beaten on a good day in a field of 120 players.
I think players should be delighted to play well and have a terrific score for their level of ability. Winning a medal or something else is a bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users