Photo

Taking A Unplayable Due To Being Physically Unable ???

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 tour grinder

tour grinder

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8326 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

I have obviously not explained the events properly, no unplayable was taken at the time.

It was a discussion after the round was over and I said I would have been better off taking an unplayable at the time and not subjecting oneself to physical duress.

Interesting point,

Not sure why OB didnt say hey Seve, "you are entitled to a drop there if you deem the ball unplayable".

would he (OB) be giving the player advise, or merely providing advice about the options under the rules of golf.?

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#17 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

If you're in a bunker you have to take the drop in the bunker

Seve - as CB said I think it's your call if you think it's unplayable so go for it

An example that would be similar is if the ball is right on the edge of a drop off - you may just physically not be able to stand so you can hit the ball

I thought he said he was in the long grass on the edge of the bunker, hence there is the third option to go back in a line.

But really, every unplayable is due to a physical limitation- not being a banana man, not strong enough to swing a club through a hedge. An injury is just an extension of that.

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#18 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38543 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

I thought he said he was in the long grass on the edge of the bunker, hence there is the third option to go back in a line.

But really, every unplayable is due to a physical limitation- not being a banana man, not strong enough to swing a club through a hedge. An injury is just an extension of that.

Sorry - you are spot on

Good call

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#19 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10124 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

I had it explained to me last week.
Camel grass is a bunker.

#20 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38543 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

I had it explained to me last week.
Camel grass is a bunker.

Ah! Got it!

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Let me clarify a few things for those who may still be confused.

It was the 6th hole, not the 5th (irrelevant).  It is index 18 - he doesn't get a shot.

His ball was in the bunker for 2.  It has fairly deep soft sand and it was right on the edge.  Seve had trouble getting a stance on the steep side of the bunker, hence the trouble with his hip.  His ball was somewhat buried (fried egg).

Had he tried to come out sideways, he most likely would have put it into the next bunker.

He had a go, hit the wall under the lip and the ball ran back to the middle of the bunker where he had no trouble knocking it up to the green but missed the putt.

He had a playing lesson with Supercoach (yes, same one) the day before and the after (this) game discussions included analysing what he might have done better.

He wasn't asking a question, just opening it up for discussion and to see if anyone had any brilliant ideas on how he could have done it better.

I should point out that, had he taken a drop, he may have got another fried egg instead of the perfect (next) lie that he did get.

#22 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

So, where are all these brilliant suggestions that we couldn't come up with over a collection of schooners?

#23 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9641 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

Brilliant suggestion?...don't hit it into bunkers .... you're welcome.

Seve, your situation sucked mate and as someone once told me the hardest decision for most of us choppers is taking an "unplayable".

So many times you see people trying to hack a ball out of bad situation only to chunk it a foot or so and leave it in the poop :P .....where they could just take the two club length to a better spot and save further punishment :)

• languid likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

I'm sure I won something sometime.... somewhere ...

#24 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Great Sage...Equal of Heaven...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9203 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

Ghetto was closest to the brilliant suggestion. I still have scars from playing with OB. Off the course he ain't so bad. I have never played with a more competitive anal motherfucker. And I have played with a few lol.
  • RobNewy likes this

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#25 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Ghetto was closest to the brilliant suggestion. I still have scars from playing with OB. Off the course he ain't so bad. I have never played with a more competitive anal motherfucker. And I have played with a few lol.

Thanks Mick.
Apart from all the waggles, I have an ongoing memory of your last round at Emerald.

#26 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Along similar lines, a while back I witnessed a player tee off and hit the ball about 10 metres and end up in a really awkward position in front of some trees and just short of water. Whilst awkward, he could make his stance and had an unobstructed swing. About 8 shots later, he hacked it out from where he was continued.

Discussing after the fact, he mentioned that "he wished he could have just taken an unplayable", to which i advised, he could have.

He was of the impression that the ball truly had to be unplayable in order to take that relief.

Even after i explained that technically you can declare a ball unplayable anywhere (except for a water hazard) he still didn't think it was the appropriate thing to do.

Anyway. was interesting i thought - personally i would have taken an unplayable straight away.

| GolfLink 

#27 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Many players think they can hit their ball out from anywhere, rather than admit they stuffed up and should take their medicine with an unplayable.
  • AGQ likes this

#28 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4264 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

If you have the skills you can hit a ball from basically anywhere. Like most things in golf, you get in to trouble when your ambition exceeds your ability. 

#29 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Many players think they can hit their ball out from anywhere, rather than admit they stuffed up and should take their medicine with an unplayable.

What was interesting, is that the player wanted to take an unplayable though. But they felt in doing so it would be go against the nature of how the rule is intended to be taken.

Strange I know. They felt that irrespective of how difficult the shot was, that because they could the ball unimpeded the unplayable rule was not an option.

| GolfLink 

#30 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2908 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Until a year or so ago, the USGA Course Rating System only rated the difficulty of getting out from trees for the scratch player but not for the bogey player. They just got a 'standard' figure.

The theory being that bogey players believed the could hit the ball through the eye of a needle and would always take the trees on. Unsuccessfully most of the time of course.

Edited by AAA, 03 March 2017 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users