28 replies to this topic

#1 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

Player tees off and his ball goes into a heavily wooded area with dense undergrowth, thinking it may be lost or very hard to find the player hits a provisional down the middle of the fairway. Player finds the original tee shot, but, it is unplayable and opts for the rehit from the original spot (ie tee). Can the player use the previously hit provisional tee shot as his option for the unplayable ball or does he have to return to the tee after declaring the ball unplayable and hit another?

#2 KAVL

KAVL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

Once the original ball was found in bounds, the provisional ball was "dead." So, if the player selects option R28a, it's back to the tee.

#3 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

Once the original ball is found, the provisional must  be abandoned.  If he played it, he would be playing a wrong ball. [Rule 27-2c]  

#4 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Before OB says that it's a silly situation, I'll add that a provisional ball may only be played for a ball that may be lost or may be out of bounds.  Once the original is found in bounds, the provisional must be abandoned (as others have stated).

#5 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Once the original ball is found, the provisional must  be abandoned.  If he played it, he would be playing a wrong ball. [Rule 27-2c]  

I sort of guessed this was the case. With so much being said lately about pace of play issues I was pondering if this could be an adjustment to the rules to allow the provisional to become the ball in play where the player takes the hit from original spot option once declaring the found ball unplayable.

#6 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

I sort of guessed this was the case. With so much being said lately about pace of play issues I was pondering if this could be an adjustment to the rules to allow the provisional to become the ball in play where the player takes the hit from original spot option once declaring the found ball unplayable.

The Rules do not allow a player to make a choice of which ball to play - he only has one ball in play at any time (other than perhaps Rule 3-3).

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

Before OB says that it's a silly situation, I'll add that a provisional ball may only be played for a ball that may be lost or may be out of bounds.  Once the original is found in bounds, the provisional must be abandoned (as others have stated).

I read it and wasn't going to say anything of the sort.  I know what the rule is.

But, now you mention it, it really is a waste of time.  Why not let the player declare his provisional as his ball in play and go on from there?

There's nothing that requires a player to make any effort to find his first ball.  He can just go to his provisional and make another stroke at it and, provided it was further advanced than his original, it becomes his ball in play.

Why make him go back and play a third ball from the tee?  Yes, of course he could stuff up that shot too.  But really, it's just bloody mindedness by the rules makers to make a golfer's life difficult.

Look at it another way.  Let's say that his provisional shot was less than perfect.  He finds his first ball and decides it's unplayable.  His options then are the usual three, but instead of going back, his 'replay' shot is the one he has already taken with a provisional. Had he not played a provisional, he could go back.  But having played a provisional, that becomes the replay option.

Overall, would that methodology really make any difference to the overall playing of the game, other than a variation to strategy?  It would save time.

#8 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

🍿
  • RobNewy likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

I read it and wasn't going to say anything of the sort.  I know what the rule is.

But, now you mention it, it really is a waste of time.  Why not let the player declare his provisional as his ball in play and go on from there?

There's nothing that requires a player to make any effort to find his first ball.  He can just go to his provisional and make another stroke at it and, provided it was further advanced than his original, it becomes his ball in play.

Why make him go back and play a third ball from the tee?  Yes, of course he could stuff up that shot too.  But really, it's just bloody mindedness by the rules makers to make a golfer's life difficult.

Look at it another way.  Let's say that his provisional shot was less than perfect.  He finds his first ball and decides it's unplayable.  His options then are the usual three, but instead of going back, his 'replay' shot is the one he has already taken with a provisional. Had he not played a provisional, he could go back.  But having played a provisional, that becomes the replay option.

Overall, would that methodology really make any difference to the overall playing of the game, other than a variation to strategy?  It would save time.

Just play another ball from the tee without saying "provisional".  It's all over - quite simple.

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

Just play another ball from the tee without saying "provisional".  It's all over - quite simple.

You've missed the point.
It's all about options when you find it unplayable.

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

It would mean you have choice over which ball to play. Everyone will play a provisional 'just in case' and then choose the best. Even with the penalty a ball on the fairway may well be a better choice than having three shots to get out of the jungle onto the fairway.

• RobNewy likes this

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

It would mean you have choice over which ball to play. Everyone will play a provisional 'just in case' and then choose the best. Even with the penalty a ball on the fairway may well be a better choice than having three shots to get out of the jungle onto the fairway.

Yes, but you have a choice under the existing rules. In practicality, there is little difference except the 'replay' option would be a known (good or bad) in lieu of an unknown.

#13 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

I have seen a few cases where another player or caddy has spotted a ball really in the **** but needs to be lifted to be identified. Player has declared first ball lost without checking and proceeded with provisional. What's the case on that one ?

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

I have seen a few cases where another player or caddy has spotted a ball really in the **** but needs to be lifted to be identified. Player has declared first ball lost without checking and proceeded with provisional. What's the case on that one ?

As far as I'm aware, a player is obliged to identify whether a found ball is his.

#15 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18632 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

LOCK IT DOWN BOYS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users