#46 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22385 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

If the ball hits the flagstick you are in exactly the position described in the Original post. If the ball does not hit anything , No problem.
 I have been in the situation where the flagstick was stuck in the hole & would not come out. fortunately the putt was off line. since then if I am attending the flag I check to make sure that it will come out when I lift it
BTW when we tried to take the flagstick out  the cup came out with it . It took us 10 minutes backing it against a concrete sand bin to loosen it so that the cup came of the stick.

I've had that problem, too. But newer flagsticks have grooves down the plug so sand doesn't jam it in.

Along the lines of this thread, if the cup liner is protruding from the hole and your putt hits it, the stroke is replayed without poo enalty.

#47 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

I've had that problem, too. But newer flagsticks have grooves down the plug so sand doesn't jam it in.

Along the lines of this thread, if the cup liner is protruding from the hole and your putt hits it, the stroke is replayed without poo enalty.

Only if the liner is moving:

17/8

Ball Strikes Hole-Liner Pulled Out with Flagstick

Q.A player played a stroke from the putting green. The ball struck the hole-liner, which had stuck to the bottom of the flagstick and had come out of the hole when the person attending the flagstick removed the flagstick. Is there any penalty?

A.No. A hole-liner is an outside agency. Accordingly, if the hole-liner was moving when the ball struck it, the stroke is canceled and the ball must be replaced - Rule 19-1b. If the hole-liner was not moving, the ball must be played as it lies - Rule 19-1. In case of doubt, the ball must be played as it lies.

#48 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

Did he indicate that he had heard your instruction to leave the flag in or is it possible that he did not hear it.

These are the issues that we are faced with when asked to make a ruling after the event.

My initial thoughts from the OP's scenario was of similar things i've seen on the course before - players not completely understanding the rules. 

So my take is Player B sees Player A putting from off the green. Player B thinks that the flag needs to be removed if you are putting. So asks Player A if he wants the flag removed. Player A says no, and Player B assumes Player A doesn't think he will hole the putt. Player B then sees the ball could go in so in his white knight effort attempts to remove the flag to prevent Player A from incurring a penalty.

My interpretation is that this scenario is a result of a player not fully understanding the rules, rather then miscommunication. 

It's an interesting scenario though.

Edited by Monty85, 05 December 2016 - 10:50 PM.

| GolfLink 

#49 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

FLABBERGASTED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29543 posts
  • LocationIn Disbelief

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

BTW when we tried to take the flagstick out  the cup came out with it . It took us 10 minutes backing it against a concrete sand bin to loosen it so that the cup came of the stick.

Penalty for slow play right there! :P

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

5 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee

2012 Inaugural ISG National Supreme Putting Champion .

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links
2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO.

2013 Inaugural Brass Yacht Winner

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#50 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11614 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

Penalty for slow play right there! :P

Oh :o ! OK I will go back several years & disqualify myself from that comp for signing an incorrect scorecard. :P

• BarnEsy05 and Madambo like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#51 load

load

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

My initial thoughts from the OP's scenario was of similar things i've seen on the course before - players not completely understanding the rules. 

So my take is Player B sees Player A putting from off the green. Player B thinks that the flag needs to be removed if you are putting. So asks Player A if he wants the flag removed. Player A says no, and Player B assumes Player A doesn't think he will hole the putt. Player B then sees the ball could go in so in his white knight effort attempts to remove the flag to prevent Player A from incurring a penalty.

My interpretation is that this scenario is a result of a player not fully understanding the rules, rather then miscommunication. 

It's an interesting scenario though.

Well, its been a few weeks, but i do recall a nod of the head to acknowledge my instruction to leave the pin in. I think it was a complete panic from my friend. He is not a regular golf player and has only just taken the game up again. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users