52 replies to this topic

#16 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'm not sure it's a risk - it'll be good in Melbourne - but the attitude Melbourne is the natural home of the Open because of the sandbelt is silly.

Ideally it'd do back to pre-1975 and go around the country.

It's also annoying people complain about there being 'no golf in Melbourne' when they would never consider driving to Barwon Heads to watch a great event with both men and women.

• Madambo and Can Break 80 like this

#17 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5071 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Well the Masters obviously didn't work so any other Australian PGA event is definitely a risk, especially when taking it away from a place where it has been a success recently. 

Barwon heads is the better part of 2 hours away from the Sandbelt in Melbourne and the event doesn't have any big names like the Aus Open does, I'm not sure the two are comparable. 

I'm looking forward to the Presidents Cup in a couple of years but really, given the choice between actually playing golf on a weekend and watching it live, I'd choose to play a round and then watch some on TV. 

#18 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10800 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

Out of curiosity, what were admission prices in Sydney?

I thought 50 bucks was a fair bit steep when i went 2 years ago at KH
  • Short Putt Man likes this

#19 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18638 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Out of curiosity, what were admission prices in Sydney?
I thought 50 bucks was a fair bit steep when i went 2 years ago at KH

Attached File  D6960513-3DBE-4116-98C6-96A5F65F661D.png   258.28KB   1 downloads
  • RobNewy likes this

#20 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

D6960513-3DBE-4116-98C6-96A5F65F661D.png

Double that and add $25 for parking when it comes to Melbourne.

Also looks like the Vic PGA has been scrapped for next year.
  • Cats are Farked likes this

#21 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3186 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Bruce,

It's amazing Melbourne golfers think Melbourne has some right to The Open - Sydney has done a brilliant job with it and galleries have turned up in big numbers every year.

It'll be good to have it in '20 and '22 but to think Melbourne somehow deserves it over Sydney is silly.

Melbourne golf galleries shouldn't be quickly forgiven for having Lydia Ko put on a clinic of amazing golf in 2015 at Royal Melbourne - and having less than 100 people following her down the 15th fairway on Saturday.

The Vic Open was awful the last few years in Melbourne yet it has thrived at Barwon Heads/13th Beach where the locals properly support golf - as opposed to golf with a superstar attached to it.

Not sure I necessarily agree about the Vic Open being awful in Melbourne prior to its move to 13th Beach. I recall doing highlights packages for the Vic Open at Springfield Valley when Ash Hall then Jason Norris won and the crowds were very respectable given the Tier 2 level of the event.

I do agree with some of your other sentiments though

Bruce  

#22 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

The Masters worked for many years - it was only the last couple where it lost its lustre.

I guess it depends if you want to watch 'big names' or are happy to watch good golf,good competition, on a good course - and being able to walk the fairways and watch golf properly.

The Open with this years Sydney field would be fine in Melbourne. People would turn up in numbers to watch Spieth,Day,Scott,Ogilvy and the rest.

• voss, Madambo and Francie like this

#23 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Bruce,

That's true - it wasn't awful by any means but nothing close to what they have created at 13th Beach.

You could argue it was an ordinary event in comparison though. 

It certainly wasn't going anywhere in Melbourne because fans in Melbourne have changed and only turn up in numbers for male stars. It was never that way in the 70s and 80s.

• Madambo and Francie like this

#24 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2235 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Didn't NSW out bid Vic to get the rights for the Oz open via the company in charge, IMG ?
If the Vic open is staged at one of the top 4 or 5 clubs then the fans come out to have a wander around and take in the opulence.
Having both the men's and women's open at the same venue at the same time seems to be a cost cutting exercise ? I'm not interested in travelling to 13th to watch the local pros play, when I can pretty much play that course any day of the week. Watching them battle on the best courses in the land makes for great drama.
Recreating the strength in tournament golf like in the 70's and 80's could be viable if the big multi national companies got behind GA the PGA and the local clubs but that isn't going to happen without all of them being on the same page.
Unfortunately Kerry Packer, Alan Bond, Christopher Skase and the like are long gone from the scene so to get that feel back will need some of the new rich kids on the block to get involved and stump up the money-enthusiasm !
Oh for the good old days :)
Jon...

#25 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hardly a cost-cutting exercise. It's a combined $1.3m purse v the next state Open (NSW this week) at $450k. The rest -WA,Qld are around 125k

• voss likes this

#26 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2235 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hardly a cost-cutting exercise. It's a combined $1.3m purse v the next state Open (NSW this week) at $450k. The rest -WA,Qld are around 125k

Is that all you got out of my 3/4 paragraphs of sensible debate ?
Of course NSW can't have a bigger purse because their government spent the bulk on securing the Oz open for how many years ?
1.3 sounds great until you divide it in two, what is the breakup between the girls and the guys ?
Jon...

#27 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8632 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

Is that all you got out of my 3/4 paragraphs of sensible debate ?Of course NSW can't have a bigger purse because their government spent the bulk on securing the Oz open for how many years ?1.3 sounds great until you divide it in two, what is the breakup between the girls and the guys ?Jon...

Mens Vic open winner got $90000
Ladies vic open winner got $75000.

Prize pool for M&W =AUD 500k
The diifference is how the money is allocated.

Daniel "iam a good bloke" has increased prize money to 1.3m for 2018.
The mens and ladies tournament together is a great concept.
Therefore need 36 hole venues to accomidate such an event
As for quality of field, the womens event has lots of high ranked european Lpga players.they are good to go and watch, their skill level is good as well.

The decision to play at 13th beach was political, it was done to bolster tourism for the Geelong region after Ford closed down.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#28 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36715 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

After Ford closed down.

Really?

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#29 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12267 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

there really should be some wide-ranging investigations into what they're putting in the water at the nursing homes, something aint right with them at the minute 

• RobNewy, Goldy and Cats are Farked like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#30 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:30 AM

Jon

IMG aren't in charge of the Australian Open. Lagadere are.

I'm not sure exactly why it stayed in Sydney but part of his was Emirates reluctance to leave - but the concession to play in 20 and 22 in Melbourne.

I think it's a pity you can't be bothered to go to 13th Beach - aside from being a really good event down there the Beach Course is one of the best courses in the country. It'd be one of the best two or three courses courses in probably four states.

Recreating the strength of the 70s and 80s would be easier if all our best players played - as they did back then We can't even get Scott and Leishman to Sydney this year - because they amount of money they - and Day/Spieth - want to play blows the budget. In 1979 Aust Open 3 of the 4 major champions played - Seve,Graham and Zoeller plus Norman - played. These days that-3m + in fees.

• voss and Madambo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users