#16 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40413 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

I wouldnt have thought pressing down on the marker with your putter had anything to do with marking or replacing the ball but there ya go.

Can be something you do when the guy behind you has a long putt. No use moving it one or two heads left or right as they can't be that sure where the break will take them - so you push it down to minimise the impact if it hits your marker.
  • Schmuck likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

Going out on a limb here, I believe it's a one stroke penalty and the marker has to be replaced. 
Standby for correction.

Corrected by RD.

OB confirmation pending.....

Not needed.

There you go...I wooda thought careless action and a penalty.

A logical assumption, but incorrect. Players get penalised for stuff beyond their control, but for this item of incompetence, they get off scot free.

If you don't know the spot where the ball or marker lay, how can you know that the spot you replace it is not closer to the hole?

Guess

#18 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

"In equity" is the term used for this type of problem.

I watched a fellow competitor place his marker, in haste and upside down with the magnetic side up. Tapped it down as usual and bingo it stuck to the bottom of his putter. We all did laugh when he went to replace his ball and couldn't find the marker. He thought that he'd picked it up and had made a big mistake playing stroke. I solved the puzzle and showed him where his marker was. Straight away he asked what the penalty was. After some debate it was decided that, in equity he should play from the closest spot determined and not nearer the hole. Later we checked the rules and in equity he was not given a penalty.

Jon...
  • BarnEsy05 and Weetbix like this

#19 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4880 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Can be something you do when the guy behind you has a long putt. No use moving it one or two heads left or right as they can't be that sure where the break will take them - so you push it down to minimise the impact if it hits your marker.

Yeah I understand that, but thats got nothing to do with marking or replacing your ball in absolute terms.

#20 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:34 AM

"In equity" is the term used for this type of problem.

I watched a fellow competitor place his marker, in haste and upside down with the magnetic side up. Tapped it down as usual and bingo it stuck to the bottom of his putter. We all did laugh when he went to replace his ball and couldn't find the marker. He thought that he'd picked it up and had made a big mistake playing stroke. I solved the puzzle and showed him where his marker was. Straight away he asked what the penalty was. After some debate it was decided that, in equity he should play from the closest spot determined and not nearer the hole. Later we checked the rules and in equity he was not given a penalty.

Jon...

Not really. "In equity" is used when there isn't an actual rule or decision covering the exact situation.

1-4. Points Not Covered by Rules

If any point in dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity.

Edited by AAA, 24 November 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#21 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

Not really. "In equity" is used when there isn't an actual rule or decision covering the exact situation.

1-4. Points Not Covered by Rules

If any point in dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity.

Agreed and I still can't find a reference to this particular situation when the marker sticks to the putter.
Jon...

#22 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

See Post #6

20-1/6 Ball-Marker Moved Accidentally by Player in Process of Marking Position of Ball

Q.A player marked the position of his ball with a coin, lifted the ball and pressed down the coin with the sole of his putter. He walked to the edge of the green and then noticed that the coin had stuck to the sole of the putter. What is the ruling?

A.In this case, the movement of the ball-marker was directly attributable to the specific act of marking the position of the ball.

Accordingly, no penalty is incurred and the ball or the ball-marker must be replaced. If the spot where the ball or the ball-marker lay is not known, it must be placed as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole (Rule 20-3c).

Edited by AAA, 26 November 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#23 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

This is a very unusual occurrence but happened to me last week. Two things to note - I was in an immediate shock as I was sure I marked my ball and two, two of the three tried to penalise me one stroke. Common sense ruled, no penalty and confirmed post round.

• Schmuck likes this

#24 Schmuck

Schmuck

Dead Cat anywhere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10689 posts
  • Location1 club shorter

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

This is a very unusual occurrence but happened to me last week. Two things to note - I was in an immediate shock as I was sure I marked my ball and two, two of the three tried to penalise me one stroke. Common sense ruled, no penalty and confirmed post round.

I had same circumstance & took a 1shot penalty, score was so bad...I just accepted. Curiosity made me check afterwards.
  • voss likes this
Nothing makes sense, except GOATS, they ALWAYS make sense

Ever noticed that Ducks swagger?

I am only half trying

#25 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

I had same circumstance & took a 1shot penalty, score was so bad...I just accepted. Curiosity made me check afterwards.

It's better to know at the time. Then you might be able to make some cash from those with a contrary opinion.

#26 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36487 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Sure is.
  • Schmuck and Cats are Farked like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#27 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

It's even worse if you know you know. I know that to be true.

• pom and Cats are Farked like this

#28 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22856 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

Life must be so boring when you know everything.

Ah, if only.
What I'd really like to know is next week's winning lotto numbers.

#29 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

A new authorized local Rule introduced by the Ruling Bodies today...

An infographic is also available to illustrate how the new Local Rule should be used. If a Committee wishes to introduce this Local Rule, the following wording is recommended:

Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1 are modified as follows:

When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment.

The moved ball or ball-marker must be replaced as provided in Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1.

This Local Rule applies only when the player’s ball or ball-marker lies on the putting green and any movement is accidental.

Note: If it is determined that a player’s ball on the putting green was moved as a result of wind, water or some other natural cause such as the effects of gravity, the ball must be played as it lies from its new location. A ball-marker moved in such circumstances is replaced."

The Local Rule and a detailed Q&A is also available to download.

#30 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40413 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

So if the local rule is not in place what is the general rule?

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users