RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, mine says you can substitute a ball under rule 28a

You may indeed substitute a ball under this Rule, you don't have to drop the same ball - but you still have to find your original ball first.

#17 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

If you cannot find your ball in a situation where you wish to deem it unplayable, you must proceed under rule 27-1 ie Stroke and distance

You may deem it unplayable under rule 28 which provides three options.

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

HOWEVER, as you need a reference point to be able to play under options b or c and and the position of the ball is the reference point, neither of the options are available.

Follow this link http://www.usga.org/...cision-28,d28-1

Edited by AAA, 21 November 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#18 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2767 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

If you cannot find your ball in a situation where you wish to deem it unplayable, you must proceed under rule 27-1 ie Stroke and distance

You may deem it unplayable under rule 28 which provides three options.

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

HOWEVER, as you need a reference point to be able to play under options b or c and and the position of the ball is the reference point, neither of the options are available.

Follow this link http://www.usga.org/...cision-28,d28-1

So can I declare the ball unplayable after hitting from the teeing ground and play my 3rd shot from the tee? Unless of course it is in a water hazard or out of bounds

#19 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

Yes. Although you are actually proceeding under the same rule for all three situations ie 27-1a

At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played , i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.

#20 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

It is indeed a very common question:

28/1 When Necessary to Find and Identify Ball Deemed Unplayable

Q.A player hits his tee shot into a deep canyon. The player immediately deems the ball unplayable and plays another ball from the tee under the stroke-and-distance option of Rule 28. May a player deem unplayable a ball which has not been found?

A.Yes. A player may proceed under the stroke-and-distance option (Rule 28a) without finding his ball.

However, since Rules 28b and 28c require reference to where the ball lay, the player must find and identify his ball in order to proceed under either of these options.

• The Robinator likes this

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22527 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, mine says you can substitute a ball under rule 28a

Yes, I was wrong, but the outcome is the same.

So can I declare the ball unplayable after hitting from the teeing ground and play my 3rd shot from the tee? Unless of course it is in a water hazard or out of bounds

If OOB or in a hazard, you can still play your third shot from the tee. For the WH, most would choose to play their third shot from near the WH.

You don't have to declare anything. If you put another into play from the tee without nominating it as a provisional, you have just played your third shot and it is now the ball in play. It makes no difference whether it is OOB, unplayable or in a WH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users