• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arvis

arvis

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

Heading to Adelaide for a golf trip with a bunch of mates with handicaps ranging from single figures to 23

Just wondering which course people would pick of the two as we're heading out of town to play other regional courses after this and will only play one.

I've been told Royal Adelaide is underwhelming and flat & dusty - while Kooyonga is by far the prettier of the two. Others however rate RA very highly etc...

Be interested to hear opinions from people who have played both courses as to what would be more enjoyable. Is RA just rated better because of the Royal? 

Glenelg is another option but I'm told the first two are better.

#2 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

RA has plenty of deep rough at the moment so slow rounds and plenty of lost balls if you stray. It is relatively flat for some holes and is not dry and dusty. Kooyonga has the most undulation if that is your thing.

Played Kooyonga Monday, great condition, 10th is currently out of play as they are doing some work on it, 19th is a good par 3 replacement. Kooyonga is probably the prettiest followed by Glenelg depending upon your definition of pretty.

I am a member at Glenelg, great condition, magazines rate Glenelg and Kooyonga fairly equal, RA ahead due to 4 - 5 all world holes. 

• Madambo and AGQ like this

#3 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

If it helps, Royal Adelaide had the better wine list when I last visited.

Golf wise, either are good options. Not sure about the Grange, the course(s) that is. Heard some good reports about the Norman redesign but will have to wait until I play there.

#4 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:11 AM

Played RA a few weeks ago. The rough is brutal. Women's Aus Open coming up so I'd suggest take plenty of balls. Shin high rough is not fun and the members aren't that happy right now!

I'd play elsewhere if I were you. It's a great track though just not really playable for many right now imo

#5 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Not if they don't cut it. :D

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adelaide, royal adelaide, kooyonga, glenelg, south australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users