#31 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2692 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

Surely Eagle Ridge is the crappest course down there.
I would rather headbutt a barbecue fork than play that pox bowl again

You obviously never played the Par 3 course on Jetty Rd that used to be down there...... Once you had played that you appreciated any decent course lol.

I'll play ER any day of the week. From last time I played there it was a good Pub Course track within reasonable budget..... I don't get the hate it gets... (admittedly played it a while ago but from all reports it is better now than back then).

Edited by Joe79, 31 October 2016 - 09:54 AM.

Cap: 18.7 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#32 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

You guys are lucky, I've been here all weekend and it has been full on. At least I have Cup Day off :D

I don't....

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#33 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

thats a long time to respond to one email Francie. I suppose you type like a cop, just using the two index fingers!

.....and what's wrong with that?
  • GhettoGolfer likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#34 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

You obviously never played the Par 3 course on Jetty Rd that used to be down there...... Once you had played that you appreciated any decent course lol.

I'll play ER any day of the week. From last time I played there it was a good Pub Course track within reasonable budget..... I don't get the hate it gets... (admittedly played it a while ago but from all reports it is better now than back then).

Joe, I'd agree with Rob in that ER is probably the "least best course" down in that area.

The main reason I think, is that 8 holes play north to south in direction, 8 holes play south to north in direction, and only 2 holes run crossways.

You spend most of the round just going up and back, up and back, with the wind, into the wind, with not much else.

• RobNewy, ozdevil and davenic like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#35 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10412 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:56 AM

Joe, I'd agree with Rob in that ER is probably the "least best course" down in that area.

The main reason I think, is that 8 holes play north to south in direction, 8 holes play south to north in direction, and only 2 holes run crossways.

You spend most of the round just going up and back, up and back, with the wind, into the wind, with not much else.

And the holes are mostly bloody boring.
I played it with Hackpro when he shot 68(?), so i should have enjoyed it, but it was just boring as batshit

#36 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2692 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

Fair call. I haven't played in a while but I have always looked at it like the younger brother to the rest. Its always going to be less impressive than the rest but for those who live down there and want a decent hit I think it is a good enough track.

I guess I have always looked at it as being like Yarrambat or Bundoora compared to the Frog for the locals down there.

Yeah you could pay the extra and enjoy a great track but week in week out it will start adding up.

I guess nostalgia probably giving me a bit of rose coloured glasses as well. Fond memories of playing golf with dad and\or family when down there over summer.

Edited by Joe79, 01 November 2016 - 06:57 AM.

• Madambo and Sprtan52 like this

Cap: 18.7 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#37 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39371 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:11 AM

Those sorts of memories are way more important than the quality of the course
  • GPJ_Longdriver, Chunky McChunkerson and Sprtan52 like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#38 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

If you're cashed up then the National with Long Island as their 4th course is leaps and bounds ahead.

Actually not that expensive, still cheaper than most sandbelt clubs

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#39 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

If all 3 were private clubs, I would pick Moonah. Two nice courses to choose from, with good amenities too.

But as it is, the Dunes would be my pick. St Andrews would probably come really close if it had a clubhouse etc.

Edited by FairwayBomber, 01 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#40 Feebs

Feebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

I intend to keep my off peak membership at Spring Valley (which I am really enjoying), but will probably play 30 or 40 rounds a year on the peninsula. I am currently playing off 13.9, and so over the next few months I'll sample them before joining one of them. As has been said, Saint Andrews Beach can be joined through Gunnamatta Golf Club, and The Dunes currently does not have vacancies. The National obviously is the pick, but the dollars involved cant be justified.

Any more opinions or viewpoints will of course be much appreciated.

#41 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:18 AM

Dunes has a couple of blind drives but the line is clear with markers. You don't get over the hill and feel ripped off.

A couple of blind approaches perhaps but more semi blind and again maybe 2? Don't see the issue myself.

Dunes is a brilliant track as is Stab and both are brutal on their day. I find Dunes easier myself.
  • Schmuck likes this

#42 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

I intend to keep my off peak membership at Spring Valley (which I am really enjoying), but will probably play 30 or 40 rounds a year on the peninsula. I am currently playing off 13.9, and so over the next few months I'll sample them before joining one of them. As has been said, Saint Andrews Beach can be joined through Gunnamatta Golf Club, and The Dunes currently does not have vacancies. The National obviously is the pick, but the dollars involved cant be justified.

The way Scratch sees it is:

If you are truly going to be playing 30 -40 rounds down on the Peninsula the National is the way to go.

Is leasing a membership at the National an option?

The 3 courses, practice facilities and club house will provide you with everything you're golfing needs will desire.

What you may end up spending on a Dunes or St. Andrews membership over the journey, perhaps for a few more dollars the Nash option is something worth exploring?

#43 75@Dorset

75@Dorset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

Moonah Legends is always in good condition, but is not a good course. I find it uninspiring, with some truly sh*tty holes (4, 11 and 15 spring to mind.) I have not played the Open course, but anyone I know who has says it is a brute and no fun to play.

Dunes is a tough course, but I still think that it is a fair course....not too many places that you are heavily penalised for a slightly wayward shot. I have played it in summer and winter, always in good condition and is not a tough walk. Some longish walks between greens and tees, but not too many.

StAB has pretty wide open fairways, but off these is brutal grass that you basically don't bother looking for your ball. There are some long up/downhill walks between greens and tees too, so StAB might be looked at as a "cart needed" course depending on fitness and amount you'll play it.

Have played at The Dunes more and I would lean more towards it if I was going to be a member....mainly as it is a more "walkable" course.

• Madambo, AGQ and Feebs like this

#44 Acheron

Acheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

Agree with others that St Andrews is the better course in the area excluding The National's.

I prefer the Dunes and would play it 2 out of 3 times over St Andrews.

Blind shots are only a problem if you don't know the course well enough - after a few rounds they're not an issue. But yes, membership at the Dunes is usually full.

Moonah Links is OK, I actually like the Open course, some interesting holes, but it has (so far) never ever been "fun". Legends course also, like some parts but others are trying too hard.  Fun for a social game now and again.

So, St Andrews looks a good option based on your criteria.

Works out pretty well cost-wise, course would match your handicap ok.

And on the days you can't get a spot at St Andrews, there are a swarm of great tracks down there that you can usually find somewhere to walk onto..

• RobNewy and Feebs like this

#45 Rupert The Bear

Rupert The Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Feebs, if you want to see The Dunes at it's best, you should play in the Tombstone Challenge. The March event is a stableford round off the black tees, 6459mts par 72 scr rated 75 slope 148.

Playing on the peninsula no matter what course you play there is wind from the north or south, it just depends on it's velocity to how hard the courses play. 

• iRON MiCK, Birdie_Blitz and Feebs like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users