• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JazzaJDN

JazzaJDN

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Need your help guys, the one major fault within my swing that is holding me back is that I can't seem to tuck my right elbow.  It then creates a scooping motion which prevents me from compressing the ball.

I have been getting lessons for quite a while but no matter what my coach seems to recommend I can't seem to nail the feeling.

My current school of thought that I am questioning is whether or not my body is in the correct position which then almost forces my elbow to be in the correct position to hit the ball?

I will take any tips, advice or drills you may have!

#2 The good Egg

The good Egg

oh!! that lady swallowed a baby!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7917 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

Some sort of lil towel or hanky under the right arm pit for the purpose of when doing your backswing and following through to not let the towel fall from under your arm
  • JazzaJDN likes this

#3 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9640 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

Your right arm (elbow) should feel similar to when skipping stones on a pond; tucked into your right hip.

Right shoulder should pass under you chin on the downswing; not out towards the ball.

YouTube the Pump Drill

Edited by 2Putts, 17 October 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• The_Boz likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

I'm sure I won something sometime.... somewhere ...

#4 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:22 PM

Jazza, have a read of this thread http://forums.iseekg...nd-complicated/. There is some relevant stuff in it.

The correct use of the right arm in the golf swing is really what you need to understand to control the right elbow. To get it right a player needs to understand the concept of the wrists (hands and forearms) rotating in the opposite direction to their respective elbows, upper arm and shoulder. The wrists control and limit rotation of the clubface while the upper arms and shoulders turn with the torso.

The odd player does this naturally. Those are the players who find the game easy. The rest struggle controlling the club all through their golfing life.
  • Big Bopper likes this

#5 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

Need your help guys, the one major fault within my swing that is holding me back is that I can't seem to tuck my right elbow.  It then creates a scooping motion which prevents me from compressing the ball.

I have been getting lessons for quite a while but no matter what my coach seems to recommend I can't seem to nail the feeling.

My current school of thought that I am questioning is whether or not my body is in the correct position which then almost forces my elbow to be in the correct position to hit the ball?

Have you tried a new instructor??

#6 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:55 PM

Jazza,

It helps to have the right grip (and I don't mean interlock or overlap) and arm structure. The hands both need to be vertical, Flat Left Wrist, Bent Right Wrist with both elbows pointing downward. If your Pro hasn't shown you how to do that, get another coach.

#7 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

I believe it is a cork feeling of the forearms on the way down.Try to feel that the left and right elbow touch each other well past impact

#8 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

A video of your swing would be a minimum to have us take a look at the problems. Otherwise we are just guessing as you've noticed so far !
Jon...

#9 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:08 AM

Feel right arm stays straight or possible on we back while doing Dante wrist break.Focus on keeping right arm straight in swing not left.Should bend in right areas. The main thing is never get stuck in the swing..Trail arm straight helps
  • Zenstb likes this

#10 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

Feel right arm stays straight or possible on we back while doing Dante wrist break.Focus on keeping right arm straight in swing not left.Should bend in right areas. The main thing is never get stuck in the swing..Trail arm straight helps

Where are you posting from, US? Be careful with that extensor action as it can lead to a flip release. To be more clear - thumbs up on both sides of the release. In his book, Dante left out two key elements - transverse adduction and external rotation of the trail shoulder. Without these two downswing elements, the release will occur too early . He has the release occurring two feet past impact (as it should do on normal swings) but leaves out the vital keys to pulling it off. Maybe whoever wrote the words didn't get what Joe meant in his notes. Who knows?

#11 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2675 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

Great advice, a good players thorn is getting stuck. They overload and create too much right arm bend at the beginning of downswing phase and get stuck. Causes a two way miss left and right.  

Coordination is the key to movement

#12 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

Here is a suggestion. Have a good look at what Rory's arm action is during the swing. I see he has made a slight change in his takeaway and in his right elbow movements in the takeaway and downswing.
Exactly the same movements Abe Mitchell wrote 80 year ago. Those old guys knew about the golf swing.

#13 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

Where are you posting from, US? Be careful with that extensor action as it can lead to a flip release. To be more clear - thumbs up on both sides of the release. In his book, Dante left out two key elements - transverse adduction and external rotation of the trail shoulder. Without these two downswing elements, the release will occur too early . He has the release occurring two feet past impact (as it should do on normal swings) but leaves out the vital keys to pulling it off. Maybe whoever wrote the words didn't get what Joe meant in his notes. Who knows?

can you explain this further please?What about a level shoulder feel at impact? I see many people who flip have excess shoulder tilt

Many even suggest a low left shoulder

Edited by Big Bopper, 29 October 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#14 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

Transverse adduction and external rotation of the right shoulder have the feeling of the upper right arm rotated in a clockwise direction with the elbow moving towards the centre of the body. The right scapular is retracted against the ribcage with the lower ribs on the right side pulled back to the left. This together with right lateral bend in the lumber spine is what Hogan referred to as the slot.
These elements are essential to clubhead lag, why do you think that is? What happens when the right shoulder rotates internally?
  • Big Bopper likes this

#15 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Nice response... This sounds very forced and contrived.A proper pivot is needed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users