#16 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8288 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:43 AM

My late boss used to relate a story from his cricket days....
He was good enough cricketer to be picked fir NSW country to open the batting against the West Indies when they used to play lots of games as lead up to the test matches. ...
As he and his partner walked out to open he suggested that it might be a good idea not to use the pull or hook shot today as Malcolm Marshall and co might be a bit quick. ... his opening partner agreed. .
Third over a shortish ball was delivered,opening partner forgot discussion and was halve way through pull shot as ball hit him in the chest....
Boss said the noise of impact was something else... finally got poor bloke back up on his feet and said to him don't try that again. ...

VTTP 006

Miracle

#17 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I think to state that any fast bowler is trying to kill a batsman is a bit ridiculous.  Bowlers will use the short ball to intimidate or try to get out a batsman, but the objective would never be to kill the batsman.  If you also take into account the bowler would be trying to hit a moving target in the batsman's head and also the slightly inconsistent bounce that is in any turf wicket and actually hitting a batsman in the head is really a bit of a fluke.

I fear that this inquest will try and skew the rules even further towards batsman as the roads that even test cricket is played on nowadays, is making it a lot easier for the batsman of today.

#18 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3549 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

My late boss used to relate a story from his cricket days....
He was good enough cricketer to be picked fir NSW country to open the batting against the West Indies when they used to play lots of games as lead up to the test matches. ...
As he and his partner walked out to open he suggested that it might be a good idea not to use the pull or hook shot today as Malcolm Marshall and co might be a bit quick. ... his opening partner agreed. .
Third over a shortish ball was delivered,opening partner forgot discussion and was halve way through pull shot as ball hit him in the chest....
Boss said the noise of impact was something else... finally got poor bloke back up on his feet and said to him don't try that again. ...

Reminds me of a talk given to my local footy club by then retired Bruce Yardley...he used to do speaking tours.

When he went to the West Indies with the Australian cricket team they were at a function to allow both teams to meet and greet each other.

Yardley was young and in awe of the West Indians and he went up to one of their quicks (I think it was Garner) and introduced himself and said he was looking forward to playing against some of the best cricketers in the world.

Garner just wet his index finger and "drew" a cross on Yardleys forehead and said "yeah, man....see you out there"

• *Mouldy and koiom K Frenzy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users