Photo

Putting Grip, Fingers Or Lifeline

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#31 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

is problem

speed control ?

direction control?

not aiming putter.

Yes

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#32 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Mouldusannoyus, if you want to change the outcome, you must alter the cause to get a constant reaction !
You have to think outside of the box. So I'd suggest the Bettinardi Kuchar arm-lock as a starting point to trial. It will put you into a set position every time and it's very hard to alter that setup during the stroke. Unless you change your style it is very much like the dog casing its tail, nothing will happen.
Jon...
ps: I have one to try if you want.

Edited by golfguy33, 10 October 2016 - 11:02 AM.

• *Mouldy and Chunky McChunkerson like this

#33 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15813 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

The problem is speed control.  Often leave long ones 10' short and 30' uphill 5' short.  SAMputtlab has shown my aim to be less than 1 deg out in fact last time I did it it was a perfect 0.0 deg.

Fear of leaving downhill putts way past has me quitting the stroke and the ball feebly wobbling around and off-course.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Team Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship Flinders

Runner up 2017 Southern Invitational

Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

#34 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

Rob,

You're commitment to finding a solution for your putting woes is admirable ..... Your commitment to sticking with a solution though, is abominable.

You will never become a "good putter" until you throw out all but one solution.

When we buy a new club, it never fits us ... even if we've been allegedly fitted for it.

We need to adjust ourselves and our swings to a club, and this doesn't happen overnight.

Putting is exactly the same, we need to grab a putter and then ....... stick with it.

We need to find a grip size, shape, we are comfortable with, and then ...... stick with it.

We need to find a comfortable setup for ourselves over the ball and then .......... stick with it.

We need to find a comfortable and repeatable stroke and then ......... stick with it.

Only then can we start to work on the external things, such as distance control and accuracy.

It might take you a month of sticking with the one putter and grip until you feel comfortable with it.

It could take you another month until you feel your set up and stroke is solid.

After two months when it all starts to feel normal and usual ....... then you can start to worry about the actual results of your putting.

We all go through stages where our putting is not the best, but changing everything all the time is certainly not the answer (unless your in the golf club selling business,)

For me, the only club that has its own spot in my bag (and has never changed at all in the last 6 months or maybe longer) is my putter. As you know all of my other clubs get rotated in or out at least weekly, but the putter, nup, it just doesn't happen and isn't considered. 

Putting is the one thing in the game you want to have settled I reckon, and the only way to do that is to stick to something until if feels comfortable, and then just work on the actual results.

I didn't get comfortable with my putter overnight (it may have been a week, but I knew from past experience exactly what I needed in a putter, eg face balanced mallet for my SBST putting stroke, a fat grip to take out my wrists, and a 33 inch putter) so I got one, and tailored it to suit my needs.

From there it was just working on my set-up and stroke. Once you get the basics right, then you can work on your short range putts and long lag putts.

When you are putting ........ If you have to think about your stroke or your set up ........ you're not there yet and you need to work more on getting comfortable with it all.

Just keep at it until you're only focus when you move in for a putt ....... is rolling the ball on a straight line to your target.

Just my thoughts though ...... :)

• BumpunRun likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#35 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

The problem is speed control.  Often leave long ones 10' short and 30' uphill 5' short.  SAMputtlab has shown my aim to be less than 1 deg out in fact last time I did it it was a perfect 0.0 deg.

Fear of leaving downhill putts way past has me quitting the stroke and the ball feebly wobbling around and off-course.

Downhill putts ..... pick a spot on the green on the line you've judged .......... that is short of the hole eg for a 10 foot downhiller, you might pick a spot that is only 7 feet from you.

Look at the spot now and not at the hole (forget the hole). Then just putt to that spot 7 feet away as you would with a flat putt, so that the ball goes over the spot at good holing speed. (The steeper the putt, the closer you make that spot to you)

Uphill putts ......... same thing don't look at the hole, look beyond the hole to a spot and then try to putt it there as you would a flat putt. The steeper the rise, the further away the spot should be.

Both of these should take the focus away from the hole as soon as you've picked your line etc.

• Schmuck likes this

EVENT WINS

#36 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11344 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

The problem is speed control. Often leave long ones 10' short and 30' uphill 5' short. SAMputtlab has shown my aim to be less than 1 deg out in fact last time I did it it was a perfect 0.0 deg.

The simple answer to that and the magic bullet you're after is to practice putting on different grades on the green. Practice uphill and downhill and flat and all different breaks. That is the single and only way you're going to become the gun putter you can be.
You need to get confidence in how to hit the downhill putts and by hitting more of them in practice you will get more confident on how to hit them during the big time.
There is your silver bullet quick fix there.
There is no point hitting a brazillion putts in your garage when your scared of downhill putts.
Your numbers and outputs from Sam Puttlab say you putt good, so do practice putting of different uphill and downhill and get used to the difference.

Bullet fired!
Peow Peow
  • Can Break 80, RobNewy and GPJ_Longdriver like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#37 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11344 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

Downhill putts ..... pick a spot on the green on the line you've judged .......... that is short of the hole eg for a 10 foot downhiller, you might pick a spot that is only 7 feet from you.

Look at the spot now and not at the hole (forget the hole). Then just putt to that spot 7 feet away as you would with a flat putt, so that the ball goes over the spot at good holing speed. (The steeper the putt, the closer you make that spot to you)

Uphill putts ......... same thing don't look at the hole, look beyond the hole to a spot and then try to putt it there as you would a flat putt. The steeper the rise, the further away the spot should be.

Both of these should take the focus away from the hole as soon as you've picked your line etc.

And do exactly this!
Your practice will tell you where your focus spot needs to be.
  • Schmuck likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#38 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35571 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Mouldusannoyus, if you want to change the outcome, you must alter the cause to get a constant reaction !
You have to think outside of the box. So I'd suggest the Bettinardi Kuchar arm-lock as a starting point to trial. It will put you into a set position every time and it's very hard to alter that setup during the stroke. Unless you change your style it is very much like the dog casing its tail, nothing will happen.
Jon...
ps: I have one to try if you want.

Based on some of his attempts, which at various times have included such gems as

Coins
Eye patch
Left handed
Right handed
Left hand low...not sure if that was right handed...but let's go with that
Fat grip
Garsden grip
Squirrel grip
Etc.....

I'm not sure that "thinking outside the box" is uncommon to him.

I think it's time he got back in the box.
  • Mr_C likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#39 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

If you don't hit the sweet on the putter face consistently on all putts it is really difficult to be a decent putter. The other thing is to have control of the putter face. A stroke that has rotation of the face, requires perfect timing of the stroke to have the face aimed at your target when the ball separates from the clubface. So if your left forearm pronates (palm down) during the backstroke, then it needs to rotate in the opposite direction during the forward stroke. Not a good move to own in a players short game.

#40 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8839 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

How can you possibly have a wristy stroke if you have a big **** off fat grip on?

Couple of Barra, minimal 4x and no bundy.
Great Northern and homebrew rum are definitely winning.

I am certain Mouldy has found a way....
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#41 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15813 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

If you don't hit the sweet on the putter face consistently on all putts it is really difficult to be a decent putter. The other thing is to have control of the putter face. A stroke that has rotation of the face, requires perfect timing of the stroke to have the face aimed at your target when the ball separates from the clubface. So if your left forearm pronates (palm down) during the backstroke, then it needs to rotate in the opposite direction during the forward stroke. Not a good move to own in a players short game.

I don't pronate the left arm.  When my stroke breaks down and decelerates the right arm tends to rotate inwards.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Team Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship Flinders

Runner up 2017 Southern Invitational

Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

#42 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32825 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

I don't pronate the left arm.  When my stroke breaks down and decelerates the right arm tends to rotate inwards.

elbow?

#43 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Old school says grip the putter down the lifelines.  More recent opinions suggest better control by gripping with the fingers.

For me on the carpet it does seem to quieten the wrists.

Thoughts and opinions.

Why do you want to quieten the wrists??

#44 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

That is a form of clubface rotation where the left wrist breaks down and the right wrist flips the clubhead. Referred to as left wrist extension and right wrist flexion before or during impact, which is a flip in the rest of the game. It can be caused by a few things - grip, right shoulder over or internally rotating that shoulder during the forward stroke, hitting at the ball instead of stroking through, recoiling the putter head past impact.

What we want is left wrist flexion and right wrist extension through impact and into the follow through. The bowed, left wrist (hand and forearm) hold off the clubhead release until past impact and then allow the clubhead to pass the left forearm.  Same as in chipping, pitching and in playing normal iron shots. If we flip in the rest of our game there is a fair chance of it carrying through into our putting.

This is what I keep harping about with popular golf instruction. They are teaching golfers a flip release in their normal game.

#45 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8352 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

would a heavier putter help ?

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users