#166 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Ok need to bring my putter in and have you look at lie and length, relative to my set up.

Is it better to cut putter down to achieve this or keep putter std length and grip down a few inches.?

I prefer cutting down so that I have a better feel of the club in my hand. Also allows me to adjust grip up or down depending on lie or green stance if I am off the green.

Mine runs at 34" from mem and I usually grip around 33". I can grip higher if I am putting on a ball below feet scenario or grip lower if ball above and not have to worry about grounding out on arc.

Cap: 17.9 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#167 Dr.inky

Dr.inky

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33600 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

Doesn't cutting it down affect the weight
  • BumpunRun likes this

#168 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Ok need to bring my putter in and have you look at lie and length, relative to my set up.
Is it better to cut putter down to achieve this or keep putter std length and grip down a few inches.?

Most putters have a standard grip, so when you grip down it will feel thinner and not right. The new fatter grips that don't taper or actually get wider under the bottom hand have made this less feel driven and I think a good thing on some occassions for certain players.
Lie & loft are one aspect to consider, now add in the other areas to personalize for the player.
Length, total weight, head weight, head design, sight lines, grip and grip size, texture, colour, face balanced versus toe hang or semi toe hang, centre or heel and semi heel shafted, flex, steel versus graphite, balance or swingweight, counter balanced etc.

These are the things to be looked at during a putter fitting, most players will only consider the name on the putter and if it rolls ok and in the correct direction, roughly !
Does it match your stroke and or the end product that the individual wants to achieve ?

Jon...
  • hack2489 likes this

#169 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19027 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

Nice thorough summary there Jon,

........ although I reckon you forgot to mention a few factors that people may need to take in consideration, particularly pre purchase  ....

How "aerodynamic" it is through the air (for those days when um, you have a slippery grip post 3 putt)

And how it performs at impact .....  with a full swing and a "half-volleyed" golf ball.

What is it's "floatation" rating?.

What about it's snap rating ? (usually performed across one's knee)

I reckon you'd have the complete list now ...... :D

• Short Putt Man and madness like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#170 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Doesn't cutting it down affect the weight

GG33 can answer better but Yes and SW but either a bit of lead tape or tungsten weight in the end fixes this back up.

One of mine has a bunch of Lead tape over the odyssey logo on it to counter act the cutting down and also I like a heavier head on my putter. Both my putters are Odyssey Blades(Metal X-Milled #1 and Works #1) and love them both and suit my style and roll.

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

#171 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Hey CB, I have to disagree somewhat.

I can't for the life of me understand how if the length of the putter is either shortened or lengthened that it will change the existing lie angle ?
I would have thought that changing the length of a putter ( longer ) might make it a bit harder to aim versus making it shorter. Given that if it was made longer you may have to stand further away from the ball and not be able to get your eye-line relatively over the ball and target line.
I need to know how the changing of the lie angle would effect the loft, as well ?

Hi Jon, hope you are well.
What we have found when measuring putting which was interesting is with adding length to the putter two scenarios can occur with lie angle. If the putter it too long the player makes changes to set up by standing further away from the ball and putters toe rises up. The face angle changes where the is closed or shut causing deloft as well, although in reality is the collision dynamics changes. When the toe is up, the Face of the putter face collides with the right center of the ball and therefore the ball goes left causing a pull.
The other scenario is the golfer doesn't change setup and the hands are higher causing the putter to be toe down the opposite effect occurs. The Toe being down the face is open and increases loft. The Collision dynamics is the Collision of the face hits the left side center of the ball causing a push.

With a Shortening putter the opposite effects can occur. When the putter is shorten the golfer will tend to stand closer to the ball and Toe down effect occurs causing pushes. If the golfer doesn't change their setup. The putter will be a toe up effect causing a push.

I heard of similar findings by others who fit people's putters by using laser beam. Actually a great tool to use for aiming practice as well.

What we have found is if changing length the fitter needs to adjust the lie angle to suit the golfers setup.
Myself I had a Ping fit, they added length and my lie angle was a few flat by memory, at first I started pulling the ball because I got slopped with my setup or truth be known hadn't been practicing. I dropped my hands and stood further from the ball. I felt like my eyes weren't over the ball so I did a little practice doing some mirror work, to get my eyes over the ball. I discover my setup was sloppy, hands low and standing too far away. I went back to my original correct setup to when I was fitted to and no longer pull my putts.

Edited by Zenstb, 06 December 2016 - 02:37 PM.

Coordination is the key to movement

#172 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

GG33 can answer better but Yes and SW but either a bit of lead tape or tungsten weight in the end fixes this back up.

One of mine has a bunch of Lead tape over the odyssey logo on it to counter act the cutting down and also I like a heavier head on my putter. Both my putters are Odyssey Blades(Metal X-Milled #1 and Works #1) and love them both and suit my style and roll.

Joe, the lead tape adjustment thingy is a good starting point but it can have consequences too. Where you put the tape can alter the way your putter works. It will change the balance point but how does it effect the loft or rhythm during the stroke ? Counter balancing putters is the current rage, it changes the total weight of the putter but what does it alter with regards to the overall feel during the stroke ?
Jon...
  • Short Putt Man likes this

#173 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi Jon, hope you are well.
What we have found when measuring putting which was interesting is with adding length to the putter two scenarios can occur with lie angle. If the putter it too long the player makes changes to set up by standing further away from the ball and putters toe rises up. The face angle changes where the is closed or shut causing deloft as well, although in reality is the collision dynamics changes. When the toe is up, the Face of the putter face collides with the right center of the ball and therefore the ball goes left causing a pull.
The other scenario is the golfer doesn't change setup and the hands are higher causing the putter to be toe down the opposite effect occurs. The Toe being down the face is open and increases loft. The Collision dynamics is the Collision of the face hits the left side center of the ball causing a push.

With a Shortening putter the opposite effects can occur. When the putter is shorten the golfer will tend to stand closer to the ball and Toe down effect occurs causing pushes. If the golfer doesn't change their setup. The putter will be a toe up effect causing a push.

I heard of similar findings by others who fit people's putters by using laser beam. Actually a great tool to use for aiming practice as well.

What we have found is if changing length the fitter needs to adjust the lie angle to suit the golfers setup.
Myself I had a Ping fit, they added length and my lie angle was a few flat by memory, at first I started pulling the ball because I got slopped with my setup or truth be known hadn't been practicing. I dropped my hands and stood further from the ball. I felt like my eyes weren't over the ball so I did a little practice doing some mirror work, to get my eyes over the ball. I discover my setup was sloppy, hands low and standing too far away. I went back to my original correct setup to when I was fitted to and no longer pull my putts.

Agree on many points Scott.

I'm still of the old school view that if any putter is set in its normal position most golfers have a hard time getting into that setup. So being able to adjust any putter to the player is a solid starting point for all of the reasons above.

I'll let you know how I'm travelling on friday after my Opp on thursday morning, fingers crossed. How you doing, btw all good hopefully :)
Jon...

#174 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

Joe, the lead tape adjustment thingy is a good starting point but it can have consequences too. Where you put the tape can alter the way your putter works. It will change the balance point but how does it effect the loft or rhythm during the stroke ? Counter balancing putters is the current rage, it changes the total weight of the putter but what does it alter with regards to the overall feel during the stroke ?
Jon...

Which is why I said you will answer it better than me haha... :)

Loft I am not sure of, but rhythm has been a huge change before and after for me with the weight difference in heavier (and why I prefer the heavier head, keeps my rhythm in check).

With the lighter head I don't feel I have control over it and feel nothing when putting and therefore lose control\rhythm in the putt.

As you said though, knowing the difference of what each change does to the club overall is why most people should see a fitter and let them adjust as necessary.

Good luck on Thursday!

Edited by Joe79, 06 December 2016 - 03:14 PM.

• seve_ likes this

WITB:

#175 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22683 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

my trade has me knowing what a pipe bender is.
i was just confirming you dont know what you are taking about.
again.

Hasn't happened yet. But not beyond the realms of possibility.

#176 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Agree on many points Scott.

I'm still of the old school view that if any putter is set in its normal position most golfers have a hard time getting into that setup. So being able to adjust any putter to the player is a solid starting point for all of the reasons above.

I'll let you know how I'm travelling on friday after my Opp on thursday morning, fingers crossed. How you doing, btw all good hopefully :)
Jon...

Wish you well on Thursday and my thoughts are with you.
I'm still battling the good fight doing ok considering. Been a challenging year, My partner she passed away in June of Ospehagus cancer and I was battling mine whilst caring for her 24/7. Now trying to adjust and trying to move forward in life best I can. I go back in next Monday for further treatment so hopefully all goes well. Considering everything I'm going pretty good, sometimes it's just the cards dealt to us. All you can do is accept it and make the best of the suituation you can. I'm happy that I'm not bitter or angry, in many ways made me a better person in many aspects.
Keep us all posted how Thursday goes and hope all goes well for you, recover quickly and play some golf.

Edited by Zenstb, 06 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

• Shanks4ever, Golftime and Short Putt Man like this
Coordination is the key to movement

#177 Roxanagolf

Roxanagolf

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

I have the grip in the fingers as well, and no lines on the ball or the putter... It works for me but it doesn't for my other golf buds .. 

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users