• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 golfcreator

golfcreator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

There are no excuse for beginners to make mistakes when it comes to playing just because they are new to the game. That’s why we are here to help you. Golf etiquettes are set of rules and practices designed to make the game of golf safer and more enjoyable for golfers and to minimize possible damage to golf equipment and courses. Although many of these practices are not part of the formal rules of golf, golfers are customarily expected to observe them.  Here are some of the common mistakes beginners do that you need to avoid:

• Not repairing your pitch marks. When the ball lands on the green, it can sometimes leave an in indent which will screw up putts. If you don’t repair it properly, you can destroy the root. Also fix your divots and rake sand traps.

•  

• Not keeping up with the pace of play. Be ready to take your shot when it’s your turn.

•  

• Talking while people are taking their shot. Or talking loud enough that people putting or teeing off on other holes can hear you. Just be considerate.

•  

• Not picking up your tees. If it’s not broken, you can reuse it. If it is broken, just toss it in the garbage. If you're on a par 3, you can consider leaving the top of the tee for someone else to use.

•  

• Giving unsolicited advice. I almost never give advice on the course unless I’m with a friend who I know would appreciate and use it. And when I do give it, it’s only for high-visibility, easily correctable mistakes, plus I’ll start by asking if they want advice. Giving people unsolicited advice is in poor form and you might even hurt their game by making them think too much which can throw off their swing.

•  

• Hitting your ball near other people. If they could be in range, just wait. If you accidentally hit it near them, yell “Fore!” or something to warn them.

•  

• Not letting people play through. If your group is slower and the group behind you has to wait a lot for you to finish, let them play the next hole first.

•  

• Parking the golf cart or pull cart on the green. Greens are super sensitive and very expensive to repair so don’t risk damaging them.

•  

• Standing very close to the cup. The ground around the cup is not going to be very strong so if you stand near very close to the lip of the cup, you risk damaging it.

•  

• Walking or casting a shadow on people’s putting lines. Putting is hard enough as it is without other players distracting you.

•  

• Standing too close to a player swinging his club. Some people apparently need to learn this lesson the hard way.

Learn to have fun while playing. You paid the green fee to have fun. Gloat a little when you hit a good shot and laugh off the bad. If you want the complete list, you can read the Golf Rules for more precise information at USGA.

#2 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

• Look after your equipment. If it's a long way back to the car park, and you don't trust the locals enough to leave your clubs unattended, just take them into the dining room with you.

• *Mouldy, Madam, 2Putts and 6 others like this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#3 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9861 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

• Clean your balls. ​Nothing says "bad golfer" like dirty balls. If you suspect that one of your partners has dirty balls, offer to clean them for him.

• *Mouldy, Weetbix, Old Poppy and 4 others like this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

#4 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20111 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

A Graders always have the right of way, the rest can go fark themselves.
  • *Mouldy, Francie, Old Poppy and 2 others like this

#5 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2946 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

Giving unsolicited advice. I almost never give advice on the course unless I’m with a friend who I know would appreciate and use it. And when I do give it, it’s only for high-visibility, easily correctable mistakes, plus I’ll start by asking if they want advice. Giving people unsolicited advice is in poor form and you might even hurt their game by making them think too much which can throw off their swing. Rule 8.1 During a stipulated round, a player must not:

a) give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
B) ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies."

• Commish and YouGottaHitIt like this

#6 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5189 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

FARTING. Try to let it out nice and easy and quietly during anyone's backswing.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#7 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38382 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

Clearly, you've never had a round with Stink.
  • Madam, Francie and peak_sy like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#8 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4312 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

I've mentioned this one before , its plain good etiquette for playing partner to announce his score as he s bending down plucking the ball from the cup to avoid having to chase down Like the paparazzi to complete the scorecard every hole. It shouldn't be that hard
  • seve_ likes this

#9 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38382 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

• Clean your balls. ​Nothing says "bad golfer" like dirty balls. If you suspect that one of your partners has dirty balls, offer to clean them for him.

Your tongue is rough like a cat's.
  • 2Putts, koiom K Frenzy and Itchy4Scratch like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Goldlink

#10 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17796 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

That's the wiry beard scratching your nuts.

ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#11 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38382 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

That's the wiry beard scratching your nuts.

Don't diss the beard.

Goldlink

#12 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17796 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

Don't diss the beard.

Why would I.  How can anyone judge the wind without the beard. 

Definite advantage being paired with the beard. 

ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#13 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13017 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

was I supposed to read this like Borat or some sort of Russian Fem-Spy

either way, I chortled when I said both out loud and got some funny looks in the office  

• Goldy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#14 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

There are no excuse for beginners to make mistakes when it comes to playing just because they are new to the game. That’s why we are here to help you. Golf etiquettes are set of rules and practices designed to make the game of golf safer and more enjoyable for golfers and to minimize possible damage to golf equipment and courses. Although many of these practices are not part of the formal rules of golf, golfers are customarily expected to observe them. Here are some of the common mistakes beginners do that you need to avoid:

• Not repairing your pitch marks. When the ball lands on the green, it can sometimes leave an in indent which will screw up putts. If you don’t repair it properly, you can destroy the root. Also fix your divots and rake sand traps.

• Not keeping up with the pace of play. Be ready to take your shot when it’s your turn.

• Talking while people are taking their shot. Or talking loud enough that people putting or teeing off on other holes can hear you. Just be considerate.

• Not picking up your tees. If it’s not broken, you can reuse it. If it is broken, just toss it in the garbage. If you're on a par 3, you can consider leaving the top of the tee for someone else to use.

• Giving unsolicited advice. I almost never give advice on the course unless I’m with a friend who I know would appreciate and use it. And when I do give it, it’s only for high-visibility, easily correctable mistakes, plus I’ll start by asking if they want advice. Giving people unsolicited advice is in poor form and you might even hurt their game by making them think too much which can throw off their swing.

• Hitting your ball near other people. If they could be in range, just wait. If you accidentally hit it near them, yell “Fore!” or something to warn them.

• Not letting people play through. If your group is slower and the group behind you has to wait a lot for you to finish, let them play the next hole first.

• Parking the golf cart or pull cart on the green. Greens are super sensitive and very expensive to repair so don’t risk damaging them.

• Standing very close to the cup. The ground around the cup is not going to be very strong so if you stand near very close to the lip of the cup, you risk damaging it.

• Walking or casting a shadow on people’s putting lines. Putting is hard enough as it is without other players distracting you.

• Standing too close to a player swinging his club. Some people apparently need to learn this lesson the hard way.

Learn to have fun while playing. You paid the green fee to have fun. Gloat a little when you hit a good shot and laugh off the bad. If you want the complete list, you can read the Golf Rules for more precise information at USGA.
If you wish to see all of this stuff just play at a public course. The private clubs don't tolerate it.

#15 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

The real issue is the follow through. :o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf, etiquettes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users