#46 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8434 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

I have a similar problem to the OP - spinning my drives up 3500rpm+

I went from a Srixon Z545 10.5* with a stock Kuro Kage shaft in a stiff flex to a Ping G LS Tec with a Matrix Ozik HD10 in a X Stiff flex.  Only played a couple of rounds but I seem to have a lot better control over my drives.

I got fitted for my new combo.

What type of ball did u use to get this number..

There is big difference in spin rates of so called "tour balls" and premium and distance balls.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#47 numbnuts

numbnuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

What type of ball did u use to get this number..

I use either a Z-Star or a Wilson Staff FG Tour.  FG Tour is the ball of choice at the moment.  I have also changed my shaft to a Matrix Ozik HD 6M3 Black Tie X-Stiff - lighter and lower launching than the HD10.

Edited by numbnuts, 08 April 2017 - 06:55 AM.

• DeanoBravo likes this

#48 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

So what are the specs of the HZRDUS 75 black 6.5 ?

Jon...

6.5 X flex
75 weight
2.9 torque

Low launch low spin

Ping G SFtec HZRDUS 75g 6.5

TM RBZ 5wood 85g Aldila NV X

Adams 20*&23* a12pro hyb Rip Alpha 105g X

Cobra Amp Cell Pro 5-P TT X100

Vokey 51*, 56* & 60* Sm4, Sm5 & Sm5

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 31.5"

#49 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

Just out of interest Deano, what handicap do you play off?

#50 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Just out of interest Deano, what handicap do you play off?

Current GA of 6.5 ChevyChase.

My driver swing has been same speed i have just got a better swing now than when i was off 20+

#51 Jolls

Jolls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationBallarat

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

How consistently are you striking the ball on the correct spot on face of your driver?  I feel that strike is the main factor that effects spin numbers with driver. If you're hitting down on the ball and catching it low on the face, no shaft will fix that.

http://www.andrewric...0/spin-rate-and

#52 sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:15 AM

Based on physics and all that kind of stuff I'm not really a believer in shafts making a massive difference in spin.

However, I've recently been burning up some store credit by playing with various heads and shafts on a Foresight launch monitor.

Heads include Titleist 910, Epic, Epic SubZero, Cobra LTD, Callaway GBB and Callaway Fusion. Shafts include Rogue Silver, Rogue Black, Hzrdus Black, Hzrdus Yellow, Hzrdus T800, Matrix Xcon 6, Matrix Altus, Oban HB, Oban Purple, Oban Gold and others.

All of the head and shafts I've tested produce similar ball speed and launch angle.

Some of the heads produced higher spin (Epic and Titleist) than the others. The LTD was consistently lowest.

But to my annoyance certain shafts also produced notably lower spin than the others.

For me, the Hzrdus Black and Yellow spin around 700RPM less than the Rogues, for example. The Matrix Xcon is very close.

It could have been the swings on the day, but I got similar results over different sessions.

I should note that I have a strongly positive AOA and tend to be high launch and lowish spin in any case.

So the Hzrdus shafts with the LTD head produce the lowest spin for me.

Who knows what they might produce for someone else?

• DeanoBravo likes this

#53 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

How consistently are you striking the ball on the correct spot on face of your driver?  I feel that strike is the main factor that effects spin numbers with driver. If you're hitting down on the ball and catching it low on the face, no shaft will fix that.

http://www.andrewric...0/spin-rate-and

Jolls, i agree to an extent. poor strikes will result in poor numbers. Even centre hits for me spin around 2800rpm with current driver. I generally hit it slightly above the centre and middle of face. Not saying they are all perfect but i could draw an area about the size of matchbox where i hit the ball. Its not all over the face

• Jolls likes this

#54 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

Based on physics and all that kind of stuff I'm not really a believer in shafts making a massive difference in spin.

However, I've recently been burning up some store credit by playing with various heads and shafts on a Foresight launch monitor.

Heads include Titleist 910, Epic, Epic SubZero, Cobra LTD, Callaway GBB and Callaway Fusion. Shafts include Rogue Silver, Rogue Black, Hzrdus Black, Hzrdus Yellow, Hzrdus T800, Matrix Xcon 6, Matrix Altus, Oban HB, Oban Purple, Oban Gold and others.

All of the head and shafts I've tested produce similar ball speed and launch angle.

Some of the heads produced higher spin (Epic and Titleist) than the others. The LTD was consistently lowest.

But to my annoyance certain shafts also produced notably lower spin than the others.

For me, the Hzrdus Black and Yellow spin around 700RPM less than the Rogues, for example. The Matrix Xcon is very close.

It could have been the swings on the day, but I got similar results over different sessions.

I should note that I have a strongly positive AOA and tend to be high launch and lowish spin in any case.

So the Hzrdus shafts with the LTD head produce the lowest spin for me.

Who knows what they might produce for someone else?

Some good info, are you left handed and hit X flex i might have to tag along for a session lol.

I find the torque of the shaft also plays a big part for me. Need something 3.0 and under generally.

Would be interested in hearing what flex and weight the shafts you tested were?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: driver, shaft, low spin, x flex, lefthand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users