53 replies to this topic

#1 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

I've recently had a fitting on trackman that identified my driver spin was 3100-3500rpm generally. I play a Callaway Razr Extreme 10.5 with Aldila Rip Alpha X Flex 67g shaft with aggressive swing and around 106-112mph depending on machine you believe. Clearly i need to drop around 1000rpm which will most likely be a combination of shaft/driver and also technique.
What combinations have people found successful?

#2 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

You could try a heavier shaft 80/+ grams. The lighter weighted shafts tend to distort in any type of hitting swings where the shaft is forced to bend early during the downswing and release the bend before impact. Have you seen a video of your swing with the driver?
  • DeanoBravo likes this

#3 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

You could try a heavier shaft 80/+ grams. The lighter weighted shafts tend to distort in any type of hitting swings where the shaft is forced to bend early during the downswing and release the bend before impact. Have you seen a video of your swing with the driver?

Haven't seen this shaft with a video but had a black tie 7m3 stiff previously (2 years plus) which was heavier and it was like a banana hence the move to X. Have since had a grafalloy blue white X which broke and now the Rip alpha. Its more about the spin the flex is right just the combo of head and shaft to lower spin. Have had fittings on different clubs ping sftec with 80g shaft, callaway 816 dbd and also Cobra ltd. Being a left hander its hard to test on course with the right shaft. I don't particularly want to just guess as its an $800 guess that will be hard to sell on if its wrong

#4 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8255 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

I've recently had a fitting on trackman that identified my driver spin was 3100-3500rpm generally. I play a Callaway Razr Extreme 10.5 with Aldila Rip Alpha X Flex 67g shaft with aggressive swing and around 106-112mph depending on machine you believe. Clearly i need to drop around 1000rpm which will most likely be a combination of shaft/driver and also technique.
What combinations have people found successful?

go and see a good club fitter like golf guy at Total Golf performance, or any of the others who are around.

go on track man and other monitors and test a few shafts.

(not a golf store where only try to sell you the new latest gear).

also remember many things effect the spin rate.

1 a simple ball position change in your set up can have an impact on spin rate ,

2 quality of strike on club head.(if hit ball high on club head this will give different spin numbers than if you hit lower on club head or in middle).

3 do test again next week on same machine and you could get different numbers,

4 type of ball used will  change numbers .

what works as commendation for someone on here might not be best for your swing.

also have to hit selected club on course, because if you want to hit have work ability and slice around corner on dog leg holes or if want to hit 3/4 swing drivers, which do all time this will also give different spin data on trackman.

Edited by Can Break 80, 06 September 2016 - 04:48 PM.

• AhBen likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour. 

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October 

2012 winner of  BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#5 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

Get a 430 sldr, nothing will spin less than this head
  • DeanoBravo likes this

#6 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

I've got just one word for you Deano, "NUNCHUK"
104 grams, X flex but plays a little firmer, bends in the middle, reduces spin and launch and 3.0 in torque so still workable !

Jon...
ps: thank me later :)
  • RobNewy and Hat_Trick like this

#8 Robroy22

Robroy22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSurf Coast

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

That Diamana Whiteboard you fitted me out with works just fine Jon. Best driver I've ever had!

#9 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

I'm left handed can't get one!

#10 DeanoBravo

DeanoBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

go and see a good club fitter like golf guy at Total Golf performance, or any of the others who are around.

go on track man and other monitors and test a few shafts.

(not a golf store where only try to sell you the new latest gear).

also remember many things effect the spin rate.

1 a simple ball position change in your set up can have an impact on spin rate ,

2 quality of strike on club head.(if hit ball high on club head this will give different spin numbers than if you hit lower on club head or in middle).

3 do test again next week on same machine and you could get different numbers,

4 type of ball used will  change numbers .

what works as commendation for someone on here might not be best for your swing.

also have to hit selected club on course, because if you want to hit have work ability and slice around corner on dog leg holes or if want to hit 3/4 swing drivers, which do all time this will also give different spin data on trackman.

Thanks Can Break 80, only problem is i'm left handed so the options for me are super limited. I have been to a reputable club fitting session in a major city who promised me they had every club head possible. Sadly it was a lie and they didn't even have Ping heads in left hand. All i saw were TM, Cobra, Nike, Callaway, Titliest and PXG. Even with those they had limited heads.

I have also worked with my club pro who basically says i'm pretty limited in options. He is doing me a favour and putting a rip alpha 80g in an aeroburner head just cause he is a good bloke so i can try it and see if it is any good. He just happened to have a demo head and shaft lying around.

I am big on trying them on course with my ball of choice but sadly i very rarely get to do this. My local golf shop is actually good they know me that well now they don't do the sell they actually even ask reps to bring gear to suit me in to test. Sadly hitting into a net only gives a small idea of its potential. Thanks for your input, i have tried most of what you suggested hence why i am now asking for some combo's as i may just have to bite the bullet and buy one to test out.

#11 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8255 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Deano

maybe give Harro a call at palm meadows golf.

he can set you  up with a house of forged shaft, 

i have one in my driver and these really bring down spin rate.

www.thegolfschool.com.au

• DeanoBravo likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour. 

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October 

2012 winner of  BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#12 Dave-still-swinging

Dave-still-swinging

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

For me the use V2 shaft still was the lowest spinning

But geez there's a million on the market to choose from

#13 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Aeroburber heads launch to high, you need to get a head that spins less as a shaft won't drop 1000 rpm's.
Why are you playing a 10.5* head? Less loft will help with your spin too

#14 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Aeroburber heads launch to high, you need to get a head that spins less as a shaft won't drop 1000 rpm's.
Why are you playing a 10.5* head? Less loft will help with your spin too

#15 AhBen

AhBen

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16076 posts
  • LocationHanging off Karrie Webb at the ANA Inspirational

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

Just sold one ......
  • DeanoBravo likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: driver, shaft, low spin, x flex, lefthand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users