41 replies to this topic

#31 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

Not sure if it’s the right thread but I want to ask about putter grips.

I bought a putter about four months ago after a SAM fitting. I learnt a lot from that fitting including my “arc” which was nothing like what I thought it was. It also showed me where I “miss” most which is a slight closing of the face forcing the ball to miss right (LH player).

I was fitted to a Spider putter with a Super Stroke Pistol 2.0 grip. I don’t know why but I’ve never been a fan of it, just doesn’t feel comfortable despite it giving me the best results in my fitting. I paid extra to have that grip because it gave the best results but have struggled with feel on the course and am second guessing whether it was the right call despite seeing an improvement in my putting. Is it something I should be persisting with despite not feeling comfortable? Or should I try the alternative even though I may not get the same improved results?

#32 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11047 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Not sure if it’s the right thread but I want to ask about putter grips.
I bought a putter about four months ago after a SAM fitting. I learnt a lot from that fitting including my “arc” which was nothing like what I thought it was. It also showed me where I “miss” most which is a slight closing of the face forcing the ball to miss right (LH player).
I was fitted to a Spider putter with a Super Stroke Pistol 2.0 grip. I don’t know why but I’ve never been a fan of it, just doesn’t feel comfortable despite it giving me the best results in my fitting. I paid extra to have that grip because it gave the best results but have struggled with feel on the course and am second guessing whether it was the right call despite seeing an improvement in my putting. Is it something I should be persisting with despite not feeling comfortable? Or should I try the alternative even though I may not get the same improved results?

I like the feel of a fatter grip, but am not a fan of the SuperStroke range. For me they are to firm. I like a softer fatter grip, hence why ive gone with the GP Tour SENSR.

There are a lot of options for fatter grips now, the FlatCat isone that really intregues me
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#33 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38212 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

I like the feel of a fatter grip, but am not a fan of the SuperStroke range. For me they are to firm. I like a softer fatter grip, hence why ive gone with the GP Tour SENSR.

There are a lot of options for fatter grips now, the FlatCat isone that really intregues me

Let's be honest...if it's different...or quirky...you like it. Never one for the path most travelled. True?

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#34 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Well, the grip is firm but I’m not certain it’s the firmness. It’s difficult to describe, just can’t feel the putter weight that well. Speed control has definitely improved and I feel like now that I know more about the intricacies of my putting stroke, I can get the ball rolling along the line more consistently but something doesn’t seem right, I’m just not comfortable with the thickness of the grip.

Maybe it’s because it’s so different to any other grip I’ve ever played, I’ve never had one of these thick grips. Maybe it’s something I’ve got to get used to but I have had this thing a few months now, I wonder how long it will be until I do feel comfortable with it.

#35 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11047 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:06 AM

Let's be honest...if it's different...or quirky...you like it. Never one for the path most travelled. True?

That is very true Golden Gonads
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#36 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8945 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

Well, the grip is firm but I’m not certain it’s the firmness. It’s difficult to describe, just can’t feel the putter weight that well. Speed control has definitely improved and I feel like now that I know more about the intricacies of my putting stroke, I can get the ball rolling along the line more consistently but something doesn’t seem right, I’m just not comfortable with the thickness of the grip.

Maybe it’s because it’s so different to any other grip I’ve ever played, I’ve never had one of these thick grips. Maybe it’s something I’ve got to get used to but I have had this thing a few months now, I wonder how long it will be until I do feel comfortable with it.

Marcus

I hope the putter fitter really did fit you for the putter taking into account length, loft, lie  and ability to aim putter and not just fitted the putter to you.

your distance control has improved and you are rolling on line so this indicates a good improvement in putter set up.

The feel you say is not right may well be the putter set up correcting your previous faults.

if you dont like the grip, go back to the fitter and ask then to put the standard Taylormade grip on putter, then try that for a few weeks and see if that has a effect on performance.

That is part of the complete fitting process. 

Edited by Can Break 80, 13 February 2018 - 07:54 AM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#37 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

I believe so mate as there are things that changed from my previous set up. I didn’t know for instance that I had a slight arc going inside the line, I thought I was taking the putter straight back & through, as was my intention. I was previously using a 33” putter but was fitted to the 35”.

I tried the stock TM grip & the super stroke grip in the fitting (as well as others I may add) and the numbers were better with the SS grip so shelled out the extra for that. As mentioned earlier, my miss is closing the face, so a flip of the face on the downstroke which I was told would be minimal with the SS grip, the numbers backed that up.

On the surface, looking at the pure results, my putting is much better. Since putting the new putter into play I’m an average 5-6 shots better a round & far less three putts due to better distance control but the feel is just off for me. I mentioned it to a regular playing partner & he said I’m putting well & not to mess with it, that my being uncomfortable was me adjusting to a very different putter setup. I think that has merit but the feel of the putter today is no different to the feel I got when I first used it. Maybe I’m a slow learner? ;)

#38 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:38 AM

Do u know if the head weight a lot higher than your old putter??

#39 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

On the surface, looking at the pure results, my putting is much better. Since putting the new putter into play I’m an average 5-6 shots better a round & far less three putts due to better distance control but the feel is just off for me. I mentioned it to a regular playing partner & he said I’m putting well & not to mess with it...

Yep.

So, how good will you go when it feels right?

My guess, fitting has you into the correct putter(length, lie, loft) but grip not feeling right. So, as others have suggested, go back and get the grip changed.

You may need to try a few to find "the one" for you. It's just like girlfriends n wives ;-)

#40 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I will go and try another grip. There was a stock TM grip with the spider on it, I quite liked it but results were better with the SS grip strangely enough. I have to go to TM later in any case, I’ll get it re-gripped. Cheers 👍
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#41 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

New Winn putter grip fitted & used for the first time in comp round today. No three putts & holed just about everything from 5ft & in. Makes such a difference!
  • madness and hack2489 like this

#42 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

New Winn putter grip fitted & used for the first time in comp round today. No three putts & holed just about everything from 5ft & in. Makes such a difference!

Nice.

At least now you won't be second guessing your putter fitting and or purchase anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users