• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

Thought this might be of interest to some of you. If not then too bad you are getting it anyway :D. It was special to me and check out the chick magnet on the bag !!

https://www.facebook...082451921803093

see below as this link is faulty

• Madambo likes this

#2 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17948 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

Link no good Bruce.

BS is letting the team down, again.

Edited by Lawn Bowler, 29 August 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#3 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

sorry LB it is from my FB page so will try and get it up on here now

• The Pres likes this

#4 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17948 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

I just want to perve on this chick magnet. ;)

#5 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

During my caddying days I was fortunate enough to have caddied for a number of winners of events (17) and there were many highlights for a young fellow from New Zealand venturing to Europe and elsewhere to caddy even before it was fashionable to do so.

One of the more memorable wins by someone I was caddying for was when Bob Charles (now Sir Bob Charles) won the 1974 Swiss Open which is of course being played this week under the guise of the Omega European Masters.

As a New Zealander as I was then to just have caddied for New Zealand’s greatest male player was a thrill in itself but to have caddied for him in victory in such a magnificent location left an indelible memory in my golfing senses.  

I recall my first visit to Crans Sur Sierre high above the Rhone Valley in Switzerland twelve months earlier and just how amazed I was with the location and the beauty of the place. Having been raised in the south of the South Island of New Zealand, stunning scenery was not uncommon but the morning after we arrived in Crans-Sur-Sierre late the previous night I opened the hotel room door at the Hotel Teleferique onto the balcony to one of the most beautiful views imaginable.

The golf course, which double as the learners’ slopes for the magnificent ski resort Crans Montana / Crans Sur Sierre during the winters months, will never go down as one of the great courses of the European Tour but its location and captivating views across and down the Rhone Valley leave golfers, spectators and, yes, even caddies spellbound and create a lasting impression on anyone visiting the region.

Originally built nearly one hundred years ago, Seve Ballesteros, a three-time winner of the event, redesigned the golf course and resurfaced the greens after Jack Nicklaus had performed a slightly smaller role several years earlier and it opened to much fanfare and at times controversy in 1999.

I digress. Bob Charles’ win was by one shot over the two-time major champion and European Tour hero Tony Jacklin, who four years earlier had won the US Open and five years earlier the Open Championship.

Charles shared the 54 hole lead with Belgian, Donald Swaelens and the brilliant South African, Dale Hayes, the trio one ahead of Jacklin. I recall the final hole with Charles still one ahead and hitting a 9 iron approach to six feet right of the hole before winning by one over Jacklin and by four over Hayes.

Charles won £4750 for his victory that week and while I received a small bonus that year in addition to a weekly fee, the first place cheque and bonuses a caddy receives now are eighty times the purse on offer 42 years ago.

It mattered little at the time however. To be part of one of my heroes’ victories in a far off land gave me, at the age of just 20, one of the greatest thrills of a life which has been built around golf in one way, shape or form.    

Attached File  ^73065A246E1254A6A8E3DE7A0AC87ACAB85130B535829C1B48^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg   38.21KB   0 downloads

• voss, RobNewy, The Pres and 1 other like this

#6 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Gotta say Bruce what a great photo and good to see that Bob had a hair trim prior to the event. I know that was the fashion back in the 70's :)

You must have enjoyed caddying for a golfer who was regarded as the best putter going around (?). At that stage was he putting with a centre shafted putter, Acushnet Bulls Eye I assume ?
  • Madambo likes this

#7 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38783 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

That's some long legs mate! Bet you had to walk fast to keep up?
  • Madambo likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#8 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

Gotta say Bruce what a great photo and good to see that Bob had a hair trim prior to the event. I know that was the fashion back in the 70's :)

You must have enjoyed caddying for a golfer who was regarded as the best putter going around (?). At that stage was he putting with a centre shafted putter, Acushnet Bulls Eye I assume ?

Yes Vossy - he was using the Bullseye. Beautiful putters they were.

I love the contrast between Bob and I in as much as his dapper, beautifully groomed look and my scruffy look. I am going to put another story up soon on another win I experienced the following week with a different player. 

• voss and Madambo like this

#9 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

That's some long legs mate! Bet you had to walk fast to keep up?

I managed ok Weetie  ;)

• Weetbix likes this

#10 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yes Vossy - he was using the Bullseye. Beautiful putters they were.

I love the contrast between Bob and I in as much as his dapper, beautifully groomed look and my scruffy look. I am going to put another story up soon on another win I experienced the following week with a different player.

Good comeback on the grooming :) and look forward to the next story.
In regards the Bullseye I still use one, an original I picked up back in the 70's. Have tried 3 or 4 different putters over time but always come back to my old faithful. They are just so beautifully balanced and have the advantage of a smallish sweet spot and a 'dead' toe for the ultra quick down hillers.
  • Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users