#16 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2683 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:56 AM

Recently I have made a change to my set up and take away. As with most things when you first start doing it you do it at a slow and steady pace. Now that the change in my grip, my takeaway etc has become more of a natural feeling I am falling into the trap of losing my tempo. Getting cocky and going way too fast in my takeaway and as a result getting all out of shape and struggling with contact, shorter irons tend to be hit cleaner, driver, hybrids and long irons getting a nasty hook happening.

Whats the best way to train yourself with tempo, is there a way or is it more about just getting on the range and focusing on slow slow slow slow

A good proportion of tour players use the one piece take away. There is many reasons although one factor is for rhythm and tempo for backswing sequence.
As a suggestion try intiating the back swing with your shoulders first, then followed by the arms. Although still keeping the arms connected. Use the shoulders to take the club away rather than the hands. Generally this sequence resolves rhythm and tempo issues without having to try control backswing speeds. Hope this helps.

Edited by Zenstb, 04 September 2016 - 02:00 AM.

• Shanks4ever likes this
Coordination is the key to movement

#17 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for all that helped in this topic. I have been working on a few things and realised my tempo was a symptom of other issues. My weight transfer being the key one. I had my weight going forward a little druing takeaway and that was causing me to over rotate going back and of course everything is off from there.

Spent the weekend working on getting my weight moving slightly back to load up right side at take away. This stopped me from over turning. Made it easier to keep the club on plane and then also meant I was using my right side to generate the downswing a little. Was still getting a heavy draw at first until I relaxed a little and let my hands be softer.

Drives started coming out long with a light sexy looking draw leaving me centre fairway at about 240m on most shots.

This for me was huge. I used to be happy to hit 210m.

#18 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for all that helped in this topic. I have been working on a few things and realised my tempo was a symptom of other issues. My weight transfer being the key one. I had my weight going forward a little druing takeaway and that was causing me to over rotate going back and of course everything is off from there.

Spent the weekend working on getting my weight moving slightly back to load up right side at take away. This stopped me from over turning. Made it easier to keep the club on plane and then also meant I was using my right side to generate the downswing a little. Was still getting a heavy draw at first until I relaxed a little and let my hands be softer.

Drives started coming out long with a light sexy looking draw leaving me centre fairway at about 240m on most shots.

This for me was huge. I used to be happy to hit 210m.

Just be carefull your not swaying your hips too much with loading the right side.

A good though I use is to put the weight to the right heel on the backswing

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users