#1 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

Recently I have made a change to my set up and take away. As with most things when you first start doing it you do it at a slow and steady pace. Now that the change in my grip, my takeaway etc has become more of a natural feeling I am falling into the trap of losing my tempo. Getting cocky and going way too fast in my takeaway and as a result getting all out of shape and struggling with contact, shorter irons tend to be hit cleaner, driver, hybrids and long irons getting a nasty hook happening.

Whats the best way to train yourself with tempo, is there a way or is it more about just getting on the range and focusing on slow slow slow slow

#2 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4441 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

There's a training aid called the Orange Whip which is pretty good for tempo. I've used one a couple of times and it seems to work well, but I haven't used it for a prolonged period. 

I know guys who swear by warming up with them before a round. 

#3 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6454 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Orange whip or sklz swing tempo trainer basically the same thing but the sklz is half the price and available from rebel sport and some drummond shops
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22277 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

I've got a yellow, sorry, gold whip.

It seems to do absolutely nothing for a good release - too heavy so it just swings around.

I would have thought that "slow, slow, slow" would just improve tempo when swinging slow.  Don't you want the right tempo for a fast swing?

#5 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

I want a tempo thats repeatable and ensures consistent ball striking. Swinging fast is great if its in tempo. The problem is with most tempos based around the 3:1 time ratio my back swing is way too fast and I jerk the club down 

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22277 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

I want a tempo thats repeatable and ensures consistent ball striking. Swinging fast is great if its in tempo. The problem is with most tempos based around the 3:1 time ratio my back swing is way too fast and I jerk the club down 

Ah, so you mean 'slow' for the backswing only ?

#7 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2560 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

When I was relearning my swing I broke it down into seperate movements , the take away , the hinge , top of the back swing and then the swing from the top through the ball. I did this a few times then put it all together slowly . It takes time on the range or at home without a ball to get the feeling. I think everyone has their natural tempo and even though the learning process may seem you are in slow motion when it all goes together your natural tempo will take over. Mind you I might be way off the mark and you can disregard this post.

#8 wOzz

wOzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

My warm up is practicing my bunker shots, if they're coming out nice and soft, that for me is a good indication my tempo is good.

If that fails, it normally doesn't, l narrow my stance, if l then try to over swing or swing to fast l loose my balance. You have to slow down.

All the other stuff, the feel of driving with the hips and so forth, comes back, for me.

• *Mouldy likes this
2013 iseekgolf National Champ

#9 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

To get good tempo hit 10 balls with a 9 or 8 iron with feet together.

If swing too fast on back swing or follow through you will loose balance and fall over.

at first start off with half swings

10 swings feet together, then 10 swings normal. repeat

hopefully the feet together hits will be crisp and should get good accurate hits

• koiom K Frenzy likes this
2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#10 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

My warm up is practicing my bunker shots, if they're coming out nice and soft, that for me is a good indication my tempo is good.

If that fails, it normally doesn't, l narrow my stance, if l then try to over swing or swing to fast l loose my balance. You have to slow down.

All the other stuff, the feel of driving with the hips and so forth, comes back, for me.

x 2 for bunker shots to gain a smooth tempo.

The other one to try before a round is opening up your highest lofted wedge so that it sits flat on the ground, and playing a few high lob shots.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#11 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

I had a drill with my coach where he has a fit ball with some water in it.

Hold the ball in front of you and swing back without hearing the water slosh.

I also think there is a lot to be said about slowing down too much.

I don't like those orang whip, when I play with some great players and and watching on tv I don't see anyone holding off for that long at the top of the swing.

• Chunky McChunkerson likes this

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#12 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:20 AM

Tempo is one of those allusive golf terms that is difficult to understand especially when playing the game. As I understand it, a player who swings through the ball position is making use of "tempo" as against those who try to hit the ball.

A player who flips through impact or hits at the ball doesn't understand what tempo is. He can't swing through the ball because his hands and body have used up all their energy by impact. Tempo is using one's body to achieve the maximum effect from a minimum of effort.
Every movement in the swing has a purpose without any power leakages.
  • Tochakka likes this

#13 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2560 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

If you want to measure your tempo you could use a metronome and set it a a given speed and try to have the clicks or beeps at the top of your backswing and at the bottom of the swing. You could set the metronome at 60 bpm ( beats per minute) to start and groove your swing from there.
At the first click you start and get to the top at the click and at the bottom on the next click.

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22277 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

If you want to measure your tempo you could use a metronome and set it a a given speed and try to have the clicks or beeps at the top of your backswing and at the bottom of the swing. You could set the metronome at 60 bpm ( beats per minute) to start and groove your swing from there.
At the first click you start and get to the top at the click and at the bottom on the next click.

Or 120bpm, 3 clicks up and one click down.  Just a thought.

#15 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32896 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

Does Geoff speak Xhosa?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users