#1 juliedarrylbear

juliedarrylbear

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on your motorised golf buggies please. 

What model is the best?

How long are they expected to last? approximately?
Overall what battery is the best?  Lithium or standard batteries?

I've had an MGI for 5 1/2 years and the motor has just burnt out.  I had it serviced every 6 to 12 months, replaced several parts, also two battery chargers and three batteries over the years and now it's not worth getting fixed. I also have a brand new standard battery for it.
For the price, I really thought that they would last a lot longer than 5 years, so now I'm not sure what to buy.

Any help or feedback would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

J

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

If you get a Parmaker, they just keep replacing parts ad infinitum.

I had to convince a tree to fall on my first one before it could be called a write-off. My second one is about 15 years old, but hasn't been used much in recent years since I bought a cart.

#3 juliedarrylbear

juliedarrylbear

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hahaha thanks OldBogey,  I'll check out those buggies

Cheers

Julie

#4 Pelvis

Pelvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

I've had a Motocaddy for 5 years and it has performed without any problems during this time. I coupled it with a lithium battery which has also lasted the 5 years without incident. I'm expecting the battery to pack it in at any time now as I suspect it's nearing the end of its life span, but so far it's still going strong. I've been using this combo pretty much for twice a week, sometimes thrice a week, over the 5 years. My understanding is that the motocaddy is British-made. Hope this helps.
Peter
  • Weetbix likes this

#5 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2202 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

Go Lithium Ion if you can afford it. Lead acid or gel type batteries don't last, mainly because of poor quality lead. Also, their discharge characteristics are not ideal for this type of application. The current output tends to drop of significantly as the battery reaches about 70% discharge. The deep cycle ones are slightly better but you pay a heap more for them anyway. On the other hand Li ion batteries will provide good torque until they are nearly fully discharged. Hence much more suited to the golf buggy application. big advantage is the saving in weight. Li Ion is about a third of  the weight. Less stress on your back as well as the buggy. 

I have had a Power Caddyfor about 4 years but have had many faults. The axle broke. The control cable failed. The umbrella holder has broken 3 times. The electronic control module blew up. One of the plastic structural fitting snapped. Apart from that, its been great!

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 27 July 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36484 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

I also had a Powakaddy for 4 years...never had a problem with it. The lithium battery was on its way out, but it never missed a beat or gave any issues. Mouldy has it now, and has replaced the battery. Probably the smallest of all the electric buggies.

I now have an MGI...it's a great buggy, but so much bigger and heavier than the Powakaddy. And takes up a boatload more space in the boot.

Both do the job well...it depends on what you're looking for in both price and size. Definitely go with the lithium battery option.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Gel batteries only last 6 to 8 years, assuming they are promptly recharged.
Li ion are technically superior and much lighter.

#8 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2202 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

Gel batteries only last 6 to 8 years, assuming they are promptly recharged.
Li ion are technically superior and much lighter.

OB,

I don't know where you get your batteries from but the gel cells I have had didn't last 2 years!!

#9 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2202 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

I also had a Powakaddy for 4 years...never had a problem with it. The lithium battery was on its way out, but it never missed a beat or gave any issues. Mouldy has it now, and has replaced the battery. Probably the smallest of all the electric buggies.

I now have an MGI...it's a great buggy, but so much bigger and heavier than the Powakaddy. And takes up a boatload more space in the boot.

Both do the job well...it depends on what you're looking for in both price and size. Definitely go with the lithium battery option.

Yes, I must agree, the light weight is probably the best feature of the Powakaddy. Not much else going for it. 

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

OB,
I don't know where you get your batteries from but the gel cells I have had didn't last 2 years!!

Parmaker. They have been using German ones for some years now.
A friend's one died after 6 years because he dropped it on the concrete floor and it split.
Mine's been going longer but I haven't used it much in the last two years so I don't really know what its current condition is.

Lead acid batteries only last two years, after that they won't do 36 holes.

#11 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6675 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Have motocaddy s3 pro and a mgi navigator quad

S3 pro i brought it brand new 3yrs ago and still is running fine with a lithium battery and still holds its charge quite well..

The only thing i dont like with this buggy is the handle as well as only has 3 wheels so if ya going up hill it wants to do a wheelie but these are only small things

Mgi i have only had a couple weeks and so far i like it and very easy to operate.. also is remote controlled as well.

Like goldy it heavy and also alot bigger then motocaddy when folded to put in a car but not a huge problem.

The bonus with the mgi its got 4 wheels plus the balance wheel so when it tries to do wheelies it wont tip over..

Motocaddy s7 remote is very similar to the s3 pro except the s7 is remote controlled as well as having a balance wheel at the back.. the disadvantage is to me frame work doesnt look to strong as well as only a 3 wheel buggy..however is not as bulky as the mgi

S7 motocaddy retails around 2400 bucks
Mgi navigator quad sells for 2100

Both run lithium batteries and in my opinion mgi navigator is better pick for the value for money as well as being stronger in the framework

Chhers oz
  • juliedarrylbear likes this
I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#12 juliedarrylbear

juliedarrylbear

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thanks so much for all of your replies and feedback. It's all been really helpful and I've now decided to go with another MGI with Lithium battery.

I found out that I had way too much weight on my buggy and also the old battery weighed over 10kgs and this was one of the main causes of the motor burning out after only 5 years. Also playing a very steep and hilly course once a week didn't help either.

Thanks again to you all, it's very much appreciated.

Happy Golfing ;)

Cheers

Julie

#13 SeveB

SeveB

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about purchasing an electric buggy, and just wanted to know if these buggies need to be serviced at regular intervals? If so, what are the sort of costs involved?

Also, does anyone out there have the MGI Hunter Quad that they may be able to share their experiences and thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users