#32 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

Out past the Ball

Hell no that is the most common cause for shanking. The correct path of the hands during the downswing is the narrowest path back to their address position. This path for most of us is just in front of the toe line. Don't forget that the clubhead follows and trails behind the hands while the wrist angle is retained (clubhead lag) and moves outside the hands towards the ball as the wrist lose their angle.

A stuck trail elbow acts like a brake on the wrists and club handle and widens the angle prematurely in amateur swings. Tour pros find a way around it through talent.
  • Big Bopper likes this

#33 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

Everything sounds find ...but your narrow analogy is a recipe for stuck

#34 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

Everything sounds find ...but your narrow analogy is a recipe for stuck

Not with transverse adduction and external rotation of the right shoulder. If a player doesn't incorporate both elements in the backswing he/she will struggle including them in the downswing without making adjustments. That is why the forearms need to rotate counter clockwise in the takeaway with the trail elbow being forced inside and down. The right arm feels like it is rotating clockwise with the palm facing down. The left arm controls the swing with the palm upwards in the takeaway. The wrists need to return through this position coming into impact.
Does that make sense?
  • Big Bopper likes this

#35 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

I always loved Abe's info with counter wound hands and pressuring the target line with the body. I also feel all modern teaching has been influenced by his one single book.Even Hogan liked it and so did the scurrying field mice in the left rough

But as we know,amateurs need more.Why the new theory of swinging hands out is very popular in modern work.While applying the counterwound hands.The out principle prevents a pull down and insures the shaft will shallow.Try it your self..the weight of the club and the hand intention will allow the shaft to lay down.The more out one goes towards the ball the less stuck one gets

Called ott from the inside.Very similar to a Sam Snead move

Edited by Big Bopper, 31 October 2016 - 08:51 PM.

#36 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

I don't experiment with the swing these days. No need, the stuff I have worked on works and is now automatic.

One of the lads I mentioned previously is now in his second year on the USPGA tour and is spending more time in the US. One of the others has left the club and has decided to become a social golfer.

I only post on here to keep my mind active and is a means to personally reinforce the elements in my swing. If it helps others it is all good. If it confuses some, then please don't let my words bugger up what you have got.
  • Big Bopper likes this

#37 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:44 AM

http://www.pga.org.a...life-at-the-top
Notice the open clubface at the finish of Cameron's swing. The left wrist is fully extended back on the forearm with the right wrist fully flexed (both working in a sideways palm to palm direction).

#38 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

@razaar ok,I tried this a swing and I was surprisingly happy.A very noticeable drop of the club in transition from an extreme steep backswing.Very valid method, but also Leary

In your estimation,,(or any other long term a swingers) what would be a fault that this method would create? Would it lead to over inside out and possible push or over hooks?

#39 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

I am not interested in the A-swing. It is a lift and turn takeaway (think of a woman with big breasts) which can get too flat at the top. The cure for that fault is to turn and lift. The problem all golfers have is with exaggerating movements. A slight exaggeration can ruin a swing, something the player is not aware of.

That is why it is important to understand everything about your swing and learn to be aware of what you are actually doing rather than what you think you are doing. It takes years of devoted work to reach that stage. Anything else is speculation and guess work.

#40 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

Well said sir . Well said

#41 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18311 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

(think of a woman with big breasts)

Okay, I've thought of one ............ now what? :D

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) .....  Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1  (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS

2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team

2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)

2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)

2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#42 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4435 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

Okay, I've thought of one ............ now what? :D

Think of the letter her name ends in
Now think of a planet or star beginning with that letter.
Now think of the letter that planet or star's name ends with.

It was N right!?!?!
Or E. One or the other.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#43 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

After doing this A Swing for a week I see benefits.For big ott golfers this backswing really forces one to shallow.The biggest issue is the excessive In to out motion it creates.On my launch monitor I'm usually 4 to 8 degrees from the inside.This motion would make me 10 to a high of 18 at moments.Only options were big pushes or a huge push draw.Can see this causing many issues for some but good for others

Reminds me of Donald Trump

#44 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

After doing this A Swing for a week I see benefits.For big ott golfers this backswing really forces one to shallow.The biggest issue is the excessive In to out motion it creates.On my launch monitor I'm usually 4 to 8 degrees from the inside.This motion would make me 10 to a high of 18 at moments.Only options were big pushes or a huge push draw.Can see this causing many issues for some but good for others
Reminds me of Donald Trump

BB, have you read Search for the Perfect Swing by Cochran & Stobbs (1968 and revisited in 2005)? It is a scientific study into the game commissioned by The Golf Society of Great Britain in the early 1960's to advance the game.

#45 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Apart from the takeaway and pivots, the rest is a similar action to what Hogan did in his hey day. Hogan had a weaker left hand grip but the wrists rolled open on the backswing. He then supinated the left wrist early in the downswing and opened the clubface past impact with a pronated left wrist.

Hogan's left arm at the top of the backswing was parallel with the lie angle of the shaft at address, which required him to have some arm lift in the upswing. The A-Swing has the arm plane under the trail shoulder which means to me that the arm must cease lifting early in the upswing. If it is not lifting, then what is it doing? Getting further behind with a wide open clubface is my guess. A good player may be able to recover from such a flat arm/club position, but the average Joe will more than likely push the target arm with the trail shoulder because he hasn't got the pelvis/spine fundamentals to power the swing from the inside.

To really see the body action of the A- swing as performed by Lydia Ko compared to a lower action by Jenny Shin (who is smaller than Lydia) have a look at their swings on you-tube. Lydia had a similar body rotation technique to Jenny before this A-Swing change. Jenny is one of the longer drivers on the tour despite being quite small.

Edited by razaar, 08 November 2016 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users