#16 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6456 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Should ask KCC for an invite to his non championship course.

Make sure to bring back some sandles
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#17 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3097 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

http://www.seastarcruises.com.au/- excellent, leave the clubs behind but if you must play Paradise Palms is the pick

• pom likes this

#18 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Paradise palms is my second favourite course in Australia. Don't miss it.
  • pom and Madambo like this
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#19 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Used to go to Cairns four times a year on business and to play a little golf with clients. As far as golf goes, Paradise Palms is the pick of a very ordinary lot of courses, though it is rarely in good overall condition.

Played in the mid-week comp at Cairns Golf Club with three Members once and got to watch them enjoy a 12 can XXXX Gold round before repatriating to the bar to have a serious drink - must be a north Qld thing. The course is nothing to write home about.

As for the courses in Port Douglas, not worth the money or effort for mine.

Cairns itself is a collection of t-shirt shops and some higher end boutiques, a mass of backpackers, and local highlight the 'Nade....The Esplanade to the rest of us.

+1 the RSL for cheap eats and view. Every other restaurant on The 'Nade is there for the purpose of ripping of the tourists. Villa Romana Trattoria is probably one the better options, and if you're thinking seafood, be prepared to be fleeced.

Touristy must dos include the drive to Port, Quicksilver Flyer to reef, Hartley's for crocs, Kuranda via Skyrail and back via train, counter lunch at Kuranda Pub, Mareeba and Tablelands via The Gillies.

Touristy must avoids - the back streets at night where our local indigenous brethren will gladly redistribute your features and possessions.   

• pom, Madambo and Rsc41 like this

#20 happytoshoot90

happytoshoot90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

I would avoid the skyrail like the plague. Did it once, proper  rip off. Money can be so much better spent.

For golf I played Cairns GC and Seatemple in Port Douglas. I thought Seatemple was excellent, and Cairns worth a hit at a decent price but not in the same class. Missed Paradise Palms, will get there next time.

The Reef is obviously a must. Mossman Gorge a must. White Water Rafting a MUST!!!

Spent most of our time in Port Douglas so can't help much with Cairns nightlife. If you have a car then there is a restaurant in Port called Nautilus that is out of this world. Unforgettable experience if you are into your food.

• Madambo and Rsc41 like this

#21 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

Heading up to cairns for a week in October. May be able to get a round in, so curious as to where to try and play ( i think we are staying about 2km from cairns golf club). But also curious if anyone has any tours/cruises/ places they can recommend checking out while we are up there? 

Head a little north to play Paradise Palms, Palmer Sea Reef then Mirage Port Douglas, in that order of my rating. Just played them all in last 2 weeks, so very up to date review. Good luck & watch out for the Crocs! :huh:

#22 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Paradise palms is my second favourite course in Australia. Don't miss it.

I rate it 32nd out of my 212 courses played. I have played a lot of exceptional courses though. :)

#23 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

I rate it 32nd out of my 212 courses played. I have played a lot of exceptional courses though. :)

You should publish your rankings for us if you can/are willing to. 

• Madambo, Rsc41 and Henschke like this

#24 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

You should publish your rankings for us if you can/are willing to. 

I have only rated my top 50 at this stage, but could go further if anyone was interested. Am on holidays at the moment, but will post top 50 after I get home in a few days

• Madambo and Itchy4Scratch like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users