#61 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Scott,
I think it all boils down to our concept of what is the right way to do something. In golf we are exposed to so many different theories of the correct method. What appears logical to us and what feels comfortable may not be the best way to get the job done.

When I first came to golf I couldn't wait to get to the green. Putting was a breeze. I had no mechanical thoughts except to line up the blade and stroke the ball. Now that I think about it, my early success in putting was a carry over from my basketball days. I grew up in Rocky which can be hell in summer. I got into the routine of practicing at the court during the early hours around 2.00am in the dark. Consequently I developed a keen sense of where the target was. I did this for years.

My putting lost something once I started to get into the technical side of golf. An example is Hogan's advice about how the armpits need to form a solid connection to the body during the golf swing. Worst advice ever (for me), because it drifted into my putting stroke. I reckon that tip from Hogan set my golf game backwards for decades. I hate that book.
  • Weetbix and Zenstb like this

#62 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22385 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

It can be one arc with two components if the forearms shut the putter face during the backstroke and then relax and allow the putter head to swing through. But who does that, you?

Not me, I putt side saddle because I wear glasses and a view of anything not directly in front is not really where it appears to my eyes.

If I putt sideways (normal putting style), I always miss the hole unless I've misjudged it so much that all errors cancel each other out.

Side saddle putting is working for me.  Yesterday, I had eight 2-putts and ten 1-putts for a 26 putt total.  That was one of my better results but I always aim for 30 or less.

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users