61 replies to this topic

#31 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Steve, I don't understand most of what is written in this thread and am nowhere near your golfing ability but I have had a similar problem.

Mine came from trying squeeze too much distance out of my wedges. As I was attempting to hit them further I was unknowingly increasing the angle of attack at the ball.

Big divots and short landings all over the place. I readjusted my wedge distance expectations and found I hit the ball with better tempo and contact.

Winter turf conditions exacerbated the issue. Not sure that helps you but was my problem.

I have to admit, most of the suggestions have gone straight over my head.

I don't think the issue is trying to squeeze too much distance out, as the heavy shots tend to come when I am trying to hit a nice smooth swing with a wedge.

I think Madam may be on the right track with slowing down on the downswing.  I will watch the video tonight when I get home and see if that offers some solutions.

• RobNewy likes this

#32 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

I think you should get OB to sign off on the plan first.

He's seen you play...and he is the master instructor.
  • RobNewy and koiom K Frenzy like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#33 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Just a thought - from a complete hacker, so feel free to ignore it. Have you tried looking at the front of the ball instead of the back of the ball? Moving the focal point of the eyes forward is something Clampett discusses in The Impact Zone to stop this sort of problem. Maybe someone with more ability and experience could tell me if I'm right or wrong with this approach? Works for me with wedges. Sometimes.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#34 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Its a shame that he isn't playing on Sunday so that we could move divots around and see where the best position for them would be.

• Goldy likes this

#35 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10307 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

He's seen you play...and he is the master bater.

#36 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Okay here's another 2 cents worth that you can either convert into gold sovereigns, or throw out onto the hard rubbish collection ........

Take a shorter backswing.

The reason being ....... that from 60m out, that is probably going to be less than a full swing, in which case I'm predicting you are still taking it back a long way, and then finding you have to slow things down (losing the lag that razaar spoke of).

If you aren't hitting them fat with your other shots, then its likely that rather than a technical issue ....... you are just going easy on them and losing your rhythm and tempo.(It's Mabo, its the vibe).

I'd just take a bit "less of a backswing" than you think you need for the shot, and then go for it, and see if that solves your fat issues ....... so to speak.

It's all in the timing though so focus on keeping everything in sync when you swing.

Hope this helps ....... :)

• SteveH115 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#37 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

The deceleration is a huge one for me but I find I do that more on short chips (10 - 30m) and chunk or slide underneath it depending on the ground.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#38 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22277 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

I can't remember that far back!

Its a shame that he isn't playing on Sunday so that we could move divots around and see where the best position for them would be.

Move your own bloody divots!

#39 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

I have had an issue lately where shots from around 60m to 100m I have been catching them heavy most of the time. When it happens, the shot still goes roughly 75% of the distance, so its not like I am hitting a foot behind the ball. I feel as though I make reasonable contact, but I may be a cm or so just behind the ball.

Would a likely fix be something as simple as putting the ball further back in my stance, or are there other things that I should be looking at?

Keep things simple is the easy solution.
Wedges to get more spin brush the grass, then the ball stays on the face longer. Take a divot, too steep, ball stays on the face for less time, no spin.
Your issue is simple, deceleration of arms too early. To fix is simple. Get a blow up beach ball the size of a basket ball. Place ball between your elbows, hit shots from hip high back swing, hip high follow through. Your main focus or thought is to accelerate your shoulders as fast as possible. Forget about the arms. What the beach ball does is teach you connection of the arms and shoulders. In short wedges the shoulders are the power source and are easier to control speed with than the arms. The beach ball keeps your arms stiffer and reduce arm rotation to keep a squarer club face. The ball teaches you the right amount of wrist hinge and bent right elbow. Also what I love about this method far more consistent power control for distances.
I recommend 10 balls with ball and 10 with out.This action will feel weird at first although stick with it and you'll be knocking the flag out in no time.
One more drill once mastered above, is try hitting up slightly on the ball. To do this just try and swing your hands upwards slightly coming into impact along your swing path.Because the wedges are heavier when we hit down the force is greater pulling our hands downward more than normal irons, we have to resist this force. So by trying to hit up slightly will combat the issue of the hands being pulled downward and resolve the hitting fat issue.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Zenstb, 01 June 2016 - 12:28 AM.

Coordination is the key to movement

#40 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

There was guy named Gerry Hogan - I think - who wrote a book and talked about - I think - keeping the watch face pointing to the sky as long as you can in your downswing until nature forces the hands to rotate through
Is that his feel for maintaining external rotation Raz?

Weeti, did I mention during one of our discussions that I had a discussion with Gerry a few years back about his book (published 1992). My main question was where he got his ideas from to write the book and if a young John Senden was the model for for several swing photos.

He said that long driving champion Gary Wise (a lefty) was his main source for the ideas which he framed the book on. Send was the model in his book. He was a trainee under Ian Triggs at the time when Triggsy, moved across to Indroopilly GC (1991). Bit of trivia for you.☺

To answer your question about his book and RS external rotation, he covers it in his chapter "The Drop into the Slot". The section under " Method" where he describes the two handed karate chop towards the inside of the ball with the elbow forced into the side, is a description of RS external rotation.
  • Madambo likes this

#41 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39044 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

No Raz - I hadn't heard that story before. Very cool.

Do you like his approach to dropping into the slot with that karate motion and keeping the watch face on your left wrist pointing towards the sky for as long as possible?

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#42 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

Keep things simple is the easy solution.
Wedges to get more spin brush the grass, then the ball stays on the face longer. Take a divot, too steep, ball stays on he face for less time, no spin. 

I find the reverse. Don't ask me why as I have no idea but if I sweep the grass on a wedge\chip\pitch it runs out a lot.

If I pinch it\take a divot then depending on the swing or the green itself it will either sit on a dime or come back at me.

My guess is because I do play it 1 ball back of centre (or so I think I am) and I tend to come down on it steeper.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#43 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

I gave up on learning movements described like this 20+ years ago Weeti. It is a hit and miss way to learn golf. There is not enough info for mine.

The downswing happens in the blink of an eye, so there isn't time to think of positions. It needs to be automatic where one movement leads into another and we have an awareness of what occurred.

Keeping the watch face pointing to the sky will only work with a very strong top hand grip. A three to four knuckle grip has the watch face in this position at address. This setup doesn't allow freedom to rotate the forearm clockwise and open the clubface. There is lots of freedom to shut the clubface. It won't work with a weak top hand grip which allows freedom to open the clubface. Can you see where this is leading?

Popular golf instruction has a strong grip causing hooks and a weak grip causing slices. I guess the assumption here is that we all flip or flip roll the clubface through impact.

#44 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Razaar - thanks for the idea of holding the right shoulder ER for as long as possible in downswing. Tried this at range this morning and I think it's a good swing thought for me. Felt I was eliminating a bit of my dreaded cast and helping me a wee bit better body rotation in downswing. Ball flight was higher, same or more distance, contact felt improved.
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#45 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

Razaar - thanks for the idea of holding the right shoulder ER for as long as possible in downswing. Tried this at range this morning and I think it's a good swing thought for me. Felt I was eliminating a bit of my dreaded cast and helping me a wee bit better body rotation in downswing. Ball flight was higher, same or more distance, contact felt improved.

You are welcome. Make sure to include it in the rest of your game. Players who struggle with ER in putting usually need to change to other putting styles where ER is not an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users