#16 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

I think you're onto something there.

Kids learn stuff way faster than anyone else, they are sponges, partially because their brains are not clogged up with crap, but more importantly I think, is that learning to them is completely natural . they know no other existence.

Every day they learn, and they question, and they learn some more, whether they realise it or not, they just do.

Adults though, fark, we know it all, and you can't teach us anything new ... well not easily at least. We are as a group, resistant to change, fearful of anything unknown, oh, and stubborn.

Its no surprise to me, that the worlds best golfers these days, didn't take up the game when they were 15 or 16 ........ they started out as 5 yr olds or thereabouts.

The golf swing was just a natural thing for them .... they've been doing it since they could walk most of them ... and have just been refining it since then.

Greg Norman may have been one of the last really great golfers who took the game up later on in life, eg, in his teens ... :D

Yep, the players who started young were learning to strike a golf ball around the time they were learning other movements that developed their self image as a person. The golf swing became part of their automatic, habitual movements in everyday life. Much the same principle as when we taught ourselves to eat our cerial with a spoon.

#17 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

They were more interested in other sports, where I was the other way when my b/ball days ended.

I find golf extremely perverse, complex and complicated and always have done.

Why though? If you can shoot under 80 surely it's not that hard. Would you describe yourself as a perfectionist? 

#18 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

Why though? If you can shoot under 80 surely it's not that hard. Would you describe yourself as a perfectionist?

I promised myself 30 years ago to get to the nuts and bolts of the game and understand how it needs to be done. What are the secrets of the golf swing, the short shots and putting. What does the body need to do. How to make it automatic and habitual and be aware of movements.
Being able to break 80 or 70 means is not important to me. Knowing the doing is.

#19 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

I promised myself 30 years ago to get to the nuts and bolts of the game and understand how it needs to be done. What are the secrets of the golf swing, the short shots and putting. What does the body need to do. How to make it automatic and habitual and be aware of movements.
Being able to break 80 or 70 means is not important to me. Knowing the doing is.

The thing about that is, the golf swing is different for everyone. All that really matters is that you get the club face as square to your swing path as possible so the ball flies straight. The way I do it would be different to the way you do it. 

If you understand how you do it, you can improve your game. Understanding how someone else does it rarely helps you unless your swing is built from the ground up. 

I'm a very feel oriented & handsy player so my experience generally doesn't apply to anyone else, which is why I usually keep it to myself. 

#20 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9752 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

It's not .... hit ball ....walk after ball ... hit it again.

Way to many people crapping on endlessly about how difficult  and somehow mysterious the golf swing is .... usually quoting some crap that Hogan said about reversing every natural instinct and that leads to a good golf swing ...

... utter bollocks; most golfers need to get out of their own way and just hit the fracker.....

• Groove_Snob, Goldy and Itchy4Scratch like this

#21 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39837 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

I wish that were so 2P - never broke 100 doing it that way!

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#22 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Have you tried it lately?

#23 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9752 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

You my good friend are the perfect example that proves the rule.... and someone to be admired for their persistence :)

Not suggesting for a minute that it doesn't take lots of practice to become better at golf ... but that is the same for every sports.

The idea that golf is somehow special and goes against what our bodies can naturally do is IMHO utter nonsense ..... simple instruction followed by serious effort gives anybody better results.

• Groove_Snob likes this

#24 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39837 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Have you tried it lately?

Not very lately

Tried it a while back experimenting with clear keys - and when I say experimenting I mean getting an assessment done and instruction. I wasn't good. Pretty much sliced the crapper out of everything! :)

Handicap

#25 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39837 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

You my good friend are the perfect example that proves the rule.... and someone to be admired for their persistence :)

Not suggesting for a minute that it doesn't take lots of practice to become better at golf ... but that is the same for every sports.

The idea that golf is somehow special and goes against what our bodies can naturally do is IMHO utter nonsense ..... simple instruction followed by serious effort gives anybody better results.

Persistence is my only talent when it comes to golf! :D

Handicap

#26 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Not very lately
Tried it a while back experimenting with clear keys - and when I say experimenting I mean getting an assessment done and instruction. I wasn't good. Pretty much sliced the crapper out of everything! :)

doesnt sound much like "find ball, hit ball" to me.
  • BumpunRun likes this

#27 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11827 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Not very lately

Are you experimenting with some OB humour right now?
  • Old Poppy and koiom K Frenzy like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#28 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

It's not .... hit ball ....walk after ball ... hit it again.

Way to many people crapping on endlessly about how difficult  and somehow mysterious the golf swing is .... usually quoting some crap that Hogan said about reversing every natural instinct and that leads to a good golf swing ...

... utter bollocks; most golfers need to get out of their own way and just hit the fracker.....

There is truth in this, especially in our everyday movements. Not sure that's the case in golf for most golfers.  An example in everyday life is standing from a sitting position. We stand up how we learnt as kids and it serves the purpose. If somebody asked you to stand up without any downward pressure exceeding your body weight as you did so (using bathroom scales under the feet) it may be a different matter. This is the most efficient method of standing up with no wear and tear or effort involved. I have a book that gives directions and feelings how to do it.

This is what I wish to know about golf - effortless and efficient.

#29 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

There is truth in this, especially in our everyday movements. Not sure that's the case in golf for most golfers.  An example in everyday life is standing from a sitting position. We stand up how we learnt as kids and it serves the purpose. If somebody asked you to stand up without any downward pressure exceeding your body weight as you did so (using bathroom scales under the feet) it may be a different matter. This is the most efficient method of standing up with no wear and tear or effort involved. I have a book that gives directions and feelings how to do it.

This is what I wish to know about golf - effortless and efficient.

TGM tells you how to do it but nobody wants to listen.

#30 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

TGM tells you how to do it but nobody wants to listen.

Jack, there is no instruction book  (to my knowledge) in existence  that can provide that knowledge. If there was it would be a best seller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users