226 replies to this topic

#1 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Why is golf so easy for some and bordering on impossible for others.?

Why do elite athletes from other sports struggle with the golf swing?

Is it because our automatic habitual movements in everyday life and in other sports don't work in hitting a golf ball. If we think 'stand' and it happens automatically, same with sit, walk, throw, punch, run, turn, hop etc. -  then why not smacking a golf ball to a target? Who can argue with that concept?

Well 95% of golfers (estimated guess) try to play golf with their habitual movement patterns and struggle to progress and risk injury in the process.

Is it because we struggle to learn new movement patterns after a certain age? Or are we unwilling to go through a difficult process of learning new movements and prefer to use "will power" to adapt our existing movement patterns to play the game? 

#2 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

Why is any sport easy for some and not for others? It's always a combination of co-ordination & athleticism combined with a few unique fundamentals specific to the sport. 

#3 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

Why is any sport easy for some and not for others? It's always a combination of co-ordination & athleticism combined with a few unique fundamentals specific to the sport. 

OK. What does "co-ordination and athleticism" mean in the context of golf? Plenty of elite athletes from other sports are co-ordinated and athletic yet struggle with the golf swing.

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

OK. What does "co-ordination and athleticism" mean in the context of golf? Plenty of elite athletes from other sports are co-ordinated and athletic yet struggle with the golf swing.

It's a combination of co-ordination with the few fundamentals that are specific to the sport. It's not some unique formula and plenty of elite sports people are very good at golf, Ricky Ponting and AB de Villiers just to name two. I hear Glen Maxwell swings it alright too. 

#5 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32265 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

I'm great on the PSx

#6 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

It's a combination of co-ordination with the few fundamentals that are specific to the sport. It's not some unique formula and plenty of elite sports people are very good at golf, Ricky Ponting and AB de Villiers just to name two. I hear Glen Maxwell swings it alright too. 

I have played with many elite athletes from other sports who were useless at golf. Some of them undertook lessons etc and made little progress. I have two sons who played in national baseball teams, one played pro ball in the USA and both suck at golf, even though they were introduced to it at an early age. One of them spent time teaching the Australian cricket squad how to throw (including Ponting). Yet both lads couldn't grasp the intricacies of golf.

#7 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

I have played with many elite athletes from other sports who were useless at golf. Some of them undertook lessons etc and made little progress. I have two sons who played in national baseball teams, one played pro ball in the USA and both suck at golf, even though they were introduced to it at an early age. One of them spent time teaching the Australian cricket squad how to throw (including Ponting). Yet both lads couldn't grasp the intricacies of golf.

Stick and ball sports require good hand eye co-ordination, basketball doesn't rely on co-ordination as much as athleticism.

Were your sons any good at other sports?

#8 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18351 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

A lot of the times it would be due to a completely different skill sets.

It would be like asking a swimmer to become a great pole vaulter, just because they may be athletic.

Golfers and cricketers have similar skills, hand eye, swinging a club / bat, ball below the knees, good use of footwork and or weight transfer.

Baseballers may be good at golf, depends on what they are like below their knees, which would be foreign to them slightly.

The further away the two sports in terms of skills, then the harder it would be to transition I reckon.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) .....  Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1  (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS

2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team

2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)

2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)

2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#9 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Stick and ball sports require good hand eye co-ordination, basketball doesn't rely on co-ordination as much as athleticism.
Were your sons any good at other sports?

My sons played baseball. I played State representative basketball.

#10 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

My sons played baseball. I played State representative basketball.

As a pitcher? 

Maybe you're the basket balling equivalent of AB de Villiers? 

Not really sure what the point of this is anyway. I already provided examples of elite sportspeople who can play good golf, which kind of makes me think the title of this thread should be "why can't my sons play golf?"

#11 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

As a pitcher? 
Maybe you're the basket balling equivalent of AB de Villiers? 
Not really sure what the point of this is anyway. I already provided examples of elite sportspeople who can play good golf, which kind of makes me think the title of this thread should be "why can't my sons play golf?"

Not about my lads who are now 40, your posts just led that way. If you find the game easy or complicated, I would like to know why. We can't speak for or about others,I wouldn't think.

#12 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

Not about my lads who are now 40, your posts just led that way. If you find the game easy or complicated, I would like to know why. We can't speak for or about others,I wouldn't think.

I was talking about elite sportspeople because you asked why they struggled with the golf swing. I provided examples of those who can play golf well despite being elite at another sport. I personally believe anybody with a reasonably good hand eye co-ordination and the athleticism to hit the ball over a certain distance can be good at golf, especially the ball striking part of it. Short game is a different story. 

I find striking the ball relatively easy because I have been playing it for a long time so I don't think I can comment on how difficult it is for people who take it up late in life. It is part of my muscle memory. 

As with all things, it is easier to learn it while young. 

#13 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

From what I understand you are/were a good golfer, why do you think you have the ability but your sons don't?

#14 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18351 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Is it because we struggle to learn new movement patterns after a certain age? Or are we unwilling to go through a difficult process of learning new movements and prefer to use "will power" to adapt our existing movement patterns to play the game? 

I think you're onto something there.

Kids learn stuff way faster than anyone else, they are sponges, partially because their brains are not clogged up with crap, but more importantly I think, is that learning to them is completely natural . they know no other existence.

Every day they learn, and they question, and they learn some more, whether they realise it or not, they just do.

Adults though, fark, we know it all, and you can't teach us anything new ... well not easily at least. We are as a group, resistant to change, fearful of anything unknown, oh, and stubborn.

Its no surprise to me, that the worlds best golfers these days, didn't take up the game when they were 15 or 16 ........ they started out as 5 yr olds or thereabouts.

The golf swing was just a natural thing for them .... they've been doing it since they could walk most of them ... and have just been refining it since then.

Greg Norman may have been one of the last really great golfers who took the game up later on in life, eg, in his teens ... :D

• Old Poppy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) .....  Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.

Le Hole in 1  (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS

2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team

2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic

2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)

2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)

2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#15 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

From what I understand you are/were a good golfer, why do you think you have the ability but your sons don't?

They were more interested in other sports, where I was the other way when my b/ball days ended.

I find golf extremely perverse, complex and complicated and always have done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users