Photo

Must You Mark The Nearest Point Of Relief?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:00 AM

I have both my ipad and book with me on the course.  Have not used the ipad with a player, and have only used the book once in nearly 20 years of officiating.

#17 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:26 AM

:)
3 years ago I showed an irate player Decision 13-4/40, that was he first time!

#18 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

I find sun glare a problem with the phone. Players seem to find the worst location to be in when they have a query.
But it can double up as a stopwatch.

Queries from players are Rules Book mostly, in my experience. They are not looking to see something in writing. They want a " ruling" usually on a relief situation and want to get on with play knowing a Rules Official has okayed the relief and process.
But that is my personal experience.
You need to be ready for the time when the player wants more. Sometimes you can see places on the course where issues are bound to arise. I then double check the Rules in advance. I have the reference ready.
I am also ready for a long boring period where nothing happens. Sometimes all you do is exchange some greetings with players, all day!
Other days you need to be on your toes all the time. This tends to happen on Courses which have plenty of trouble, sometimes poorly marked by the Committee. The less skilled the players, the more the drama and Rules situations.

#19 AhBen

AhBen

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16083 posts
  • LocationHanging off Karrie Webb at the ANA Inspirational

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

I carry the rule booklet you get from the Pro shop that's produced by whomever,
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#20 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

I reckon that would be the Rule Book (free ) by R and A and USGA.

If it is something you paid for it is probably "DO I get a Drop"  which is of limited value and may have errors.

#21 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11518 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

The new rule book is in the bag as well :)

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#22 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3288 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm just wondering what type of 'marking' the interfering player would have expected if the casual water was a few inches deep.

#23 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'm just wondering what type of 'marking' the interfering player would have expected if the casual water was a few inches deep.

I guess  he was looking to see the nearest Point of Relief marked with a tee before one club length radious established. People see that done on TV all the time by PROs so they (wrongly) think it is a requirement of the Rules.

#24 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Logic is not part of the "club house referees" and their understanding of the Rules.

"You must always mark your ball"

And that's crazy.
If a ball is 3 metres up in a tree or in a middle of a muddy puddle, the player can't mark it and the Rules certainly don't require it.
Not because you can't mark the ball, but simply because you don't have to mark a ball unless you must or are allowed to replace it.

#25 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

The operative word being replace

#26 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Can a player under closest point of relief, purposely drop the ball twice eg. that the ball rolls on to the cart path and so to enable him to PLACED the ball at the point where the ball struck the ground on the third drop ? Further away (within one club) from cart part is long rough.

Can the player do this ?

#27 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

The ball can roll up to 2 club lengths from the point that it contacted the ground when taking a drop, not nearer to the hole and still be in play. If it either rolls closer to the hole or outside the limit of the 2 club lengths then it shall be re-dropped. If it still fails to conform and stay within the allowed area then it can be placed at the spot that it first struck the ground. If the ball will not stay in that position then the nearest position that it will sit can be used. If the ball rolls after being dropped onto a cart path and is within the limits of the original drop area, then the ball is again in play. Now the player would have to gain relief from the cart path under the applicable rule.

Jon...

#28 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

Can a player under closest point of relief, purposely drop the ball twice eg. that the ball rolls on to the cart path and so to enable him to PLACED the ball at the point where the ball struck the ground on the third drop ? Further away (within one club) from cart part is long rough.

Can the player do this ?

The player is required to drop the ball such that it first strikes a part of the course within the area prescribed by the applicable Rule.  In nearest point of relief Rules, this is within one club length of the nearest point of relief, not nearer the hole and, if the ball was at the spot where it first struck a part of the course, there would be no interference by the condition relief was being taken from.

If the ball then rolls to a spot where a re-drop is required by Rule 20-2c, which includes interference by the original condition, the ball must be re-dropped (this is the second drop).  If it again rolls into one of the conditions of 20-2c, it must be placed at the spot where it first struck the course on the second drop, ie, after the re-drop (second drop) there is only one spot to place the ball - where it first struck the course on the second drop.   If it will not come to rest at that spot, it must be placed as near as possible to that spot where it will come to rest, but not nearer the hole.

If the player drops the ball a third time, he has proceeded incorrectly.  If he doesn't correct that error (by placing it as above) and plays the ball, he will be penalized - loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play.

And yes, players who are familiar with the Rules and procedures can and do make beneficial use of correctly using the procedures in the Rules.

• pom and Monty85 like this

#29 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

And yes, players who are familiar with the Rules and procedures can and do make beneficial use of correctly using the procedures in the Rules.

This is a point the Rules official emphasized at a Rules seminar we had a few years back.

Sound knowledge of the rules will allow you to use them to your advantage and can actually save you shots from time to time.

A good one he told us was when taking a drop and there is a dodgy area or hole your ball might land in. Stand in that hole when taking the drop. Don't jump out of the way if the ball comes towards you and if it hits you, you get to redrop it.

Was a good tip i thought.

• ellimb, Weetbix and AGQ like this

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users