#31 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Having been on the receiving end of thread bombing I would say that it can be annoying if you are trying to have a thread that is a chronicle of your golf progress just to see it buried in pages of complete detrius.
But it is what it it is. It isn't bullying. It's humour. Of a kind. On this forum you just have to accept it. It's not intended to be unfriendly. If you leave the forum because of it you are being a bit precious
  • Madambo, Tolmij, Francie and 3 others like this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#32 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27107 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

I see that Madam liked your post but hasn't responded to my suggestion.

I agree with what you say, Tol.  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Most barbs on here are done with a bit of tounge in cheek, some however are designed to hurt. The problem I and obviously others have is sorting them into some order.

I have taken offence at some comments and have been set straight by the poster so all is good. If I have any particular point I want to raise I do it through the PMs, this sometimes works, other times you get locked out but in the scheme of things being adults we should be able to resolve the issues.

The only time there is no quarter given is if family is involved, that is totally out of order. Max giving me crap about judo and Ipads is just acceptable. However when I catch him he will be tied with a judo hold and made to watch an image of me on an IPad for a day.
  • OldBogey, RobNewy, Francie and 1 other like this
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#33 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11734 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

This forum could be a whole lot more useful if the initiator of each thread had the power to delete comments he considers are inappropriate.

Such deleted posts would also be deducted from the post count of the perpetrator.

Then if someone leaves unwanted dribble, the 'owner' of the thread can wipe the dribble from the face of the earth.

Unfortunately/fortunately the system doesnt allow this type of access for members.  There is supposedly some way to make private groups on here but I havent had the time to research on how.

This is a community discussion board and topics will tend to deviate at time from original OP but that is the nature of community discussion as well.

• RobNewy and Francie like this

#34 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11734 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

I see that Madam liked your post but hasn't responded to my suggestion.

I agree with what you say, Tol.  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I agree with your point OB- it gets back to what ISG is trying to be.  Is it ISG's duty to direct the forum or the forum community to direct what the content should be?  IMO Its a mix of both and we try and find that fine line- we dont always get it right though.

Can we be all things to everyone?

PS Like Tol said if there is an offending post or if you feel a thread is out of control then just REPORT.  

FYI I hate it when members play along with a SPAM post instead of REPORTING it! And these are are very active members too. So there is some responsibility to the members to assist in moderating their community.

• Francie likes this

#35 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

I agree with your point OB- it gets back to what ISG is trying to be.  Is it ISG's duty to direct the forum or the forum community to direct what the content should be?  IMO Its a mix of both and we try and find that fine line- we dont always get it right though.

Can we be all things to everyone?

PS Like Tol said if there is an offending post or if you feel a thread is out of control then just REPORT.  

FYI I hate it when members play along with a SPAM post instead of REPORTING it! And these are are very active members too. So there is some responsibility to the members to assist in moderating their community.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.  It's simply not possible.

It's not surprising that some people get offended with all the sledging that goes on.  But that's also what makes this a fun place to be.  Sledging might not be allowed in cricket and football any more, but it's still rife in golf.

We can surely do without spiteful insults, but in most cases the members are not personally known to most others.  That changes a bit with our golf days, OOMs and Nationals, but I'm yet to find that any of these members are arseholes in real life.  Most seem to be good, friendly folk.  But we still shitstir each other whenever possible.

• Madambo and Tolmij like this

#36 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11734 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

You can't please all of the people all of the time.  It's simply not possible.

It's not surprising that some people get offended with all the sledging that goes on.  But that's also what makes this a fun place to be.  Sledging might not be allowed in cricket and football any more, but it's still rife in golf.

We can surely do without spiteful insults, but in most cases the members are not personally known to most others.  That changes a bit with our golf days, OOMs and Nationals, but I'm yet to find that any of these members are arseholes in real life.  Most seem to be good, friendly folk.  But we still shitstir each other whenever possible.

So true   we all come form all walks of life, have different challenges, perspectives, personalities and in many cases if not for ISG would never have met.

Many on here have created life long friendships, and others dont like each other at all. Such as life. As long as we are respectful then all is fine.

• pom, Tolmij, RobNewy and 1 other like this

#37 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27107 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Don't know if I have been reported but I have certainly had my fingers smacked , you only have to apologise and get on with life. He's always in drag when that happens.

Edited by Tolmij, 10 January 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#38 Nessie

Nessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts
  • Location.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

A thread is no different to a conversation.
Conversations veer off in many directions.

Sledging and attempted humor is part of being Australian.

I agree with OB (that is a first), I am yet to meet anyone on here who is an arsehole in real life.

Met plenty of weirdos and choppers, we are all here with a common interest.

I have met Ray and thought he would know I was stirring him. The stupid thing is that it was dribble and not attacking anyone.

How long does it really take to just scroll through some dribble and read the posts u want to.

Edited by SuppleMax, 10 January 2016 - 10:54 AM.

• Tolmij, Francie, Goldy and 1 other like this

#39 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

A thread is no different to a conversation.
Conversations veer off in many directions.

Sledging and attempted humor is part of being Australian.

I agree with OB (that is a first), I am yet to meet anyone on here who is an arsehole in real life.

Met plenty of weirdos and choppers, we are all here with a common interest.

I have met Ray and thought he would know I was stirring him. The stupid thing is that it was dribble and not attacking anyone.

How long does it really take to just scroll through some dribble and read the posts u want to.

Not long at all, particularly if you have signatures turned off.

• pom and Francie like this

#40 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27107 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

Not long at all, particularly if you have signatures turned off.

Which I always do.

#41 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11474 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Guilty, and noted for next time.
  • Tolmij likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#42 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

We can still play along. Just report it, too.
  • Francie likes this

#43 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22251 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Another suggestion:

A 'Reported by ..." annotation would be a lot more useful than an 'Edited by ...".

#44 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4423 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

I thought you could block people so you cant see their posts? Easy solution for people who want their "playing the game" threads kept clean, they can block the people doing the unclean things.
  • Tolmij, RobNewy, Goldy and 1 other like this

#45 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39008 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Harden up princess - some of the attempted spam threads are highly entertaining with their interesting use of the English language
  • RobNewy likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic