Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#122 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Kick ass Tal

hanging in there with a good chance even. Just want to make it a tough battle for all challengers to claim the title. And crush my opponents lol

• Weetbix likes this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#123 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33372 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

What are you playing off now, Tal....handicap wise?

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#124 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

What are you playing off now, Tal....handicap wise?

Still on 13.6 just not getting many 18 hole comp rounds in at the minute. Puts me in the 'Bushranger Class' at the minute

#125 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Apart from getting in some social rounds and a few 9 hole chicken run events golfing has been limited. Was eliminated from the Handicap Championships for this season a couple of weeks ago. Not to perturbed, I played and made an effort to defend the title . Still have three of these in the winning box now. Of course the Club Championship is the crowning achievement that has joined the achievements. 

Last club round was three weekends ago and I claimed a win, first club event for some time and did it easy as well. Keeping a regular practise routine as much as possible  these days is difficult and not helping improvements. The beauty is that I have reached a level of golf capability now that it takes very little to tune my game up. Dropping 4 strokes to get a single digit number again would not be insurmountable. Simply cannot get the time in to do it easily.

Instead I am following a training path which is effective and enjoyable. It is based around playing 6 holes whenever possible. Takes about an hour and I soon tune up the game doing this. Then add in a couple or three practice green sessions for putting and chipping when time suits as well. It has taken a couple of months to get improvement this way. Not my preferred method of dedicated range and practice green sessions followed with social rounds to reflect the improvements. This is faster and efficient but requires a specified training routine set in for a couple of weeks. 

Hopefully the time will be available to do this in November when I have my next golfing targets to play. The Club Open and the Village Classic Invitational.

#126 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Good grief Dear Readers two posts in two days I must be golfing again. That is partly true, the other piece is as has been the way with my annual golfing diary detailing the journey since 2009, there is something to share. 

Today was busy with the non golf distractions as we are all cursed with in the reality of life. At three pm at last free to get out and practice. Fortunately at that time the former pro golfing guest was back from the beach on her day off and asked if she could come out for a hit. Absolutely no hesitation from me and off we went.

On the third tee she asked if I would like some coaching advice which was a yes from me. To which came the statement if I take this advice my game will be shot for two weeks as it is a major change in what I do, again a yes from me. Then came the description of what I was doing and why this was affecting my golf.

In simple terms my grip was out of balance. The right hand was too dominant and the left hand was unable to participate in my swing. It was a very simple correction, all I do now is hold the club in my left hand to start the set up, bring the right hand in from the back and the grip is set. Left hand is more on top now and right laid back.  This was all delivered with the warning that this is a major change and will take some time to settle into.

The effect of this was that I would hit across the ball often, as my body would automatically try to adjust for the way the grip made my swing path go. Hence even though I now hit the ball with my body and not just arms swinging as I did 6 years ago, still I would slice the ball too often. Immediately from the first swing and hit mt club control was improved markedly.

The second adjustment was again a long time factor affecting my golf. Even when hitting the ball well as I do now and previously (not so well) I would pull the ball left often. In part it has been from not putting weight on my front foot. Secondly, even with the grip change I have a long time physical habit set in from making an adjustment to compensate to injuries. Again something that has been repaired from golfing the past 6 years. The habit remained, I set up accurately to the target. Then when putting right hand on the club, twist my shoulders to the left. Simple to correct once pointed out and told the simple set up routine to correct it. Keep my Right shoulder back not twisted , with weight on front foot. Followed by the most important finishing touch, hands ahead of the club head on the downswing through the ball.

Now the really good news. My game is not shot for two weeks. Thanks to the past two months of barely golfing due to weather, work and other obligations, my only golfing has basically been coaching sessions and practice in the driving net at home. In the past two month my swing has been literally rebuilt and is not even recognizable from what I was doing in March/April 2016 when playing competition.

The rebuilding was simplification of the swing. Removing unnecessary actions and stabilising the stance and swing into a largely effortless stroke to hit the ball from tee shots, fairway, chips and putts. That is why the final change settled in so easily. I am not trying to do what  was being done before so there is no conflict in the 'new' swing. In fact I am doing less than before so it is even easier. End result from the major grip change on third hole was a double bogie, bogie, bogie, par, birdie, par finish on the seventh and eighth holes. Did not play the ninth.  Thank you for your time and attention. Happy golfing all. 

Back to the Future. The past few weeks of practice have been focused on this coaching advice from last year. Good enough to get me a club championship with my physical ability severely restricted in March 2017. Had to play in a cart for the 36 holes and it was purely golfing capability from this advice that won the game for me.

#127 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Practise has been limited of late withthe time available. Which has not been a major problem in truth. I still practise and have the advantage of greater capability and skill than 5-4 or 3 years ago. Which means I can target specific parts of my game and tune up the weaknesses. 

During the week I played a few 9 hole rounds and 4 over was the average score. On Sunday I went and played the stroke round competition and had a credible 85 for a nett 72. Missed 3-4 easy putts and three very poor second shots added an extra shot to those holes. My weakness at the minute is in two areas concentration and putting. Both are simple to improve, the concentration's the most complicated. That is more about making the move from social golf to serious competition golf attitude. That transition is not particularly comfortable in the very social environment at the club which is why i enjoy the time there. 

An escape zone from the hectic events in work and family is needed. As much as I really enjoy golf and winning. The game is not the most important thing which needs my attention. 

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users