• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37587 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

Wow! I must have jumped to the left!

And stepped to the right!
  • Talart likes this
HandicapBest result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th WoodlandsGoal: A round at par or better!Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club ChampionBrisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the YearWinner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope IslandWinner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at WoodlandsSouth East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer<p>http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#92 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

The past fortnight has been scoring poor while playing two comp rounds with the improved swing, stance grip etc. Yet not once did I despair or falter. Yesterday was another poor score, only from putting and chipping struggles. Hitting 80% of fairways and close to greens if not on them with the approach shots. Today is the main game in Robe Invitational classic 3 hcp or less players. 

This is what I have worked towards and while well out gunned in quality am champing at the bit to put it altogether today amongst the very best. Playing on my home track is the only small advantage I have. It will be a fun day, maybe rewarding too.

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#93 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37587 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

Kick butt Tal
HandicapBest result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th WoodlandsGoal: A round at par or better!Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club ChampionBrisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the YearWinner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope IslandWinner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at WoodlandsSouth East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer<p>http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#94 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Played terrible in the Open and the Classic. Many reasons perhaps alcohol and a lot the first night did not help. Had fun yet the season has ended with my game better yet handicap worse. Out to 11 after reaching 8.4 mid season. The weather, injury and hate to admit it work really did not assist my golfing.

Yet  have been ambling around when I can and getting 6-9 holes in and feeling the changes settle in slowly. That is the optimum word slowly and golf is like that. Many a golfer wants the fast fix, instant result an expectation in more than golfing terms that people have. 

It took 6 years to get to a single figure handicap and once there I had the good fortune to make my swing even better. Did not hesitate to take the changes on board for the future, not now. So here comes 2017 and I am busy in many ways yet golf is never far from my thoughts and actions. Plus getting even lower will be the goal for the next year. Happy golfing all

#95 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Good grief another year has started and I am still golfing, I know not so much posting and keeping in touch, still golfing though. Golf is in fact a vital aspect of why I am playing less. This game gave me the tune up of skills mental and physical which has literally been the match to light the fuel of current success.

I am getting out still and playing 6-9 holes, 2-3 days a week, keeping the game tuned up. At the same time that walk and golfing focuses my mind and has often been the moment of clarity which has resolved many business needs. 

Golf is a game that requires concentration to execute at your best level. The increased working developments which has came from the requirements of golf at the same time has benefited my golf game as well. At the minute though I have had no desire to play competition golf games for some time. That hunger, to play to win is bubbling away waiting for release. The edge to perform at my best is being honed in a different way for me this coming season.

Having had a retired European touring professional stay in the house for two months and having some coaching has taken some time to absorb. My swing, altered to be more efficient, my mental process re-calibrated, putting made more efficient. Club selection is a new thing all together with a more precision focused swing. Over all my game has taken that "jump to the left then a step to the right". 

I am not a professional caliber golfer and never will be, the dream is still fun though. One on one social chatting off the golf course, receiving the first hand experience of a touring golf professional is invaluable. The intensity I have used in many ventures, is now able to be directed in a suitable golfing manner. 

Today I was seriously planning a golf game in the club round. Instead i am staying home and working on a Sunday. Yet this is my golf time as I write this. The thoughts and expressions which have always been why I enjoy posting here are coalescing into the golfer I am now. Happy golfing all

#96 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

First comp round in 2017 in the 9 hole Friday chicken run last week. 22 points and played to 6. First 18 hole round this Sunday, monthly medal and club champs qualifying round. It has been a very gradual return to golfing since my last comp round on the 11th of December, 2016. For the same period twelve months ago I had 15 comp rounds played compared to none in 2016/17.

This is no issue I have been getting out and playing social 6-9 holes 2-3 times most weeks for form and conditioning. What is also has improved is the injury niggles have been repaired with the rest. After 5 years of non stop golfing, practise and training the old broken bits had to get a respite. 

This week in Adelaide got to the driving range and went through 100 balls. Particularly satisfied with the session. PW 8,6 to 4 Iron and Driver and not a crap shot amongst them. Consistent distance and accuracy with more capability than I expected in the workout.

Truth was I wanted to press myself in the session and see how bad my form was. Taking last Friday's nine hole Chicken Run round score of 22 points and planing to 6hcp as a bit of a fluke in reality. Seems as though it was not and the coaching received late in 2016 really has settled my game into a more reliable swing and performance.

Make no doubt this coaching was taken with the most generous gratitude I could without appearing sickening to the coach. To have a former European touring pro staying in my accommodation house for 2 months was great fun itself when offered some impartial coaching I leapt at the chance. 

With a rebuilt swing and game approach I needed the golfing break that followed in more ways than one. The physical recovery was obviously needed. The side effect of mentally adjusting to the most in depth coaching experience I have ever had also required me to have a break. Being taken first hand on the driving range and in golf rounds, to a professional golfers state of mind and absorbing that discipline in the coaching was a hard task. 

A couple of months later it has become my natural golf state of mind. It is first nature to me now, yet initially it was like having a crack in the middle of my head. One side wanting to casually play the game and the new trained and disciplined side totally opposed to that sloppy approach. As the time passed, the casual relaxed game, has evolved into the disciplined pro game style I was taught.

I am light years away from a professional golfer standard, that is the truth. The little that I have been able to incorporate into my golf though, has made a massive difference.

Golf is much fun as before, more to tell the truth. 

Edited by Talart, 10 March 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• Madambo, Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

#97 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Played my first 18 hole golf round since 11th of December 2016, for an 80 gross nett 69. With a 37 front nine and 42 back nine, it was a slog to finish. No match fitness whatsoever letting my game down.

Wow the coaching paid off though, the swing changes and putting technique were excellent, even considering the flagging execution towards the end. Which brings me to the intangible coaching skill I have learnt. Absorbing and understanding the professionals game expectation. There was one quote that was said to me throughout the coaching. 

"Jack Nicklaus is arguably the greatest living golfer and a good putter. However in his mind, he remembers that he is an even greater putter… I’m sure that you’ve heard the story of him telling an audience that he has never three putted the last hole of a tournament or missed from inside of three feet. As Jack opens the floor to take questions, a man puts up his hand and says to Nicklaus.

“Jack you say you have never missed from inside of three feet on the last hole of a tournament, but I was watching you last month in a major tournament and that’s exactly what you did.” Jack looked at the man with those piercing blue eyes and repeated that he had never missed from inside of three feet on the last hole of a tournament. “But Mr Nicklaus”, the man insisted, “I saw it, I have it on film, I can send it to you if you like”. “No need”, Jack replied, “I have never missed from inside of three feet on the last hole of a tournament. Are there any more questions?"

This is not a "lie", it is a self affirmation  statement for Jack when he is playing. On Sunday I dropped putts and played shots that were a result of self belief. Especially when exhausted and with literally nothing left in the tank over the closing holes. Everything resulted from playing the best possible shots I could and not even considering anything else than success.  

Edited by Talart, 13 March 2017 - 05:07 PM.

• Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#98 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Climbed outside up from the depths of responsibly working and getting things done, to play some golf again. Nothing too important, just match play to make the Club Championship final. Which I struggled to a win on the 19th hole. 

Dear readers it was a massive battle to endure to victory, which is why we have match play as our club championship format. Interestingly enough it is the fourth time I have beaten this golfer in match play twice in the final of the Club Handicap Championship and twice in Semi Finals.Came out of the blocks to get three up in the first three holes, which was my ideal start.

Knew I was in poor form and fitness and had to get a big lead. Which was reduced to 1 up on the 11th then back to 3 up by the 15th. Then an awesome tee shot by my opponent on the par three 16th for the most nervous 20cm birdie putt to get back in the game then a missed putt by me to win on the 17th. Followed by a ball up a tree on the 18th to be all square. The nineteenth and my opponents turn to falter and I won it with a 20 cm putt.

The two weeks until the 36 hole final will allow some tuning up and it is going to be tough to make the win. Yet I will go hard. If anything came out of yesterday it is that I have a never give up attitude and that was what won me the game.

It all came down to the par 4, 12th hole. My drive left me with an unplayable lie, so back to the tee block. On the green for 4 and down in two for a six. One of the trickiest greens to putt on and yes it happened, my opponent 4 putted to lose with a seven! That kept me at one up and put the questions into the opponents mind.

Golf is best played by doing one thing. No Thinking play automatically and that is why practice makes your game perfect. Walk up, set up, hit the ball, don't think about it.

Edited by Talart, 24 April 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• Madambo and Kiwi like this

#99 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

See, the trick is... to find your swing..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8730 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Awesome effort T.

What I'm talkin about is a game... A game that can't be won only played...

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#100 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23684 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

nice mate

Half the Trentham dream team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users