Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#196 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3921 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Par round for the front nine in this afternoon's practise session.  First seven holes were pars then, bogie on the 8th and birdie to finish on the 9th hole. Once again my established practise routine to prepare for the competition season has proven it's worth. This year due to being able to begin casual golfing due to no injury issues, I am two-three weeks ahead of where I expected to be on recent seasons experience. On the 21st of January I began to step into my competition preparation routine with some caution... 

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

"Hi Readers back to my golfing world again after a few weeks of enjoying playing with the Nike Vapor irons. First and foremost is the single matter of enjoyment, I have probably played more golf in the past three weeks than in January 2017 and 2018 combined already. No injury concerns or difficulties does make playing a lot more fun. Given the difficulty of having to hit the ball with more precision to get the best result with the nike's my scores and results are remarkably good and inspirational for the coming season. I will repeat myself it is hard work playing the Vapors and this has delivered the rewards, improving my concentration, set up, and focus in the practice rounds I am playing. Not playing any comp rounds at the minute deliberately and also with work commitments this is not easily possible a the minute."

Another factor to be noted in this post is I am not practicing on the range or greens for putting and chipping. This is a deliberate break from my competition routine in line with the enjoyment factor. With not some little psychological influence of being cautious, given the injuries of the past seasons.

As January passed began gradually incorporating the competition preparation routines into each weeks golfing experience, with no urgency being well in advance of the usual time frame. Apart from one casual round and range session on the 15th of February with the Taylor Made RSi2 set it has exclusively been with the nike Vapor Pro set of irons.  These have always been a favoured practise set in the past particularly improving ball striking. As well as game ability from the concentration and need for precision with this continued practise with the nikes.

In the past this has always been an asset in my  practise that when returning to the RSi2 delivered improved accuracy and performance. "RSi 2 irons are for a mid/low-handicap golfer.  They have forged short irons and cavity back long irons. TaylorMade is finally focusing on something we really need, more forgiveness.  The RSi line of irons is designed to reward shots hit just about anywhere on the face.  You don't have to find the pin head sized sweet-spot, but now virtually the whole face of these irons will yield similar results." This time the transition was a total fail, I found the RSi's unwieldy in my hands and had accepted that I would be gaming with the nikes this season. I have three iron sets which I use in my golfing, the two mentioned and the third is a set of PowerBilt scotch blade Citations, a relatively current evolution of the original Fuzzy Zoeller (who won 10 of his 12 professional tournaments with the clubs.) set. https://www.golftrad...w-irons-precisi

Last week after the hit with the RSi's I went to the shed a few days later to grab the Power Bilt's for a hit and could not find the nine iron. That was rectified today and on the spur of the moment and to celebrate finding the missing club, decided to use them in my afternoon 6 hole amble, which after 6 pars had to be continued to 9 holes. These Irons akin to the nikes have an insert in a cavity behind the face. I also find they have slight similarities to the old Titliest ap2 irons, with a larger club face area to deliver forgiveness. Which after several weeks with the nikes was like suddenly having a turbo charged game. The ball was going straight and true, with a softer 'feel' on more shots. The benefits which previously enhanced my golfing when moving back to the RSi2 irons, were glaringly obvious with the Scotch Blade Citation's. Obviously playing a par round over nine holes is proof enough, this has been done with these irons in the past so have no doubt, it was not a fluke. 

It is all to do with fitness on top of the latest practise. The Power Bilt clubs in my hands, have a heavy club head feel. Over the past three years, carrying shoulder injuries made them totally unsuited to play with. To be honest the ease with which I played today, including Driver, fairway and hybrid clubs and putter was the ideal indicator that my game is well tuned for 2019. The 17th of March and the first qualifying round for club championships is three weeks away, I have plenty of time to settle on my game plan. The iron choice is still between the nikes and the rest. Practicing with the nikes is remaining as the first choice this is a significant assistance to my golf. After all with a GA handicap of 12.7 this is going to drop in coming weeks in competition.  

Edited by Talart, 20 February 2019 - 09:36 PM.

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#197 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3921 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

Out this morning and managed to play nine holes and once again very satisfied with my game progress, 4 over after the nine holes was a good result. No practise for several days and playing the best possible was managed by following the proven set up routines and doing what reduces errors. The use of the fairway wood off the tee was very successful, done to counter the lack of play and practise over recent days. Chose to use the Wilson DUO balls they are very soft, get good distance with them. Require a little more concentration when putting and chipping, which involves less striking speed and power. 

Did not do particularly well getting greens in regulation only 2 out of the nine holes. There were 3-4 more approach shots which were no more that two-three metres off the putting surface. It was a relatively calm day and very pleasant to play in. The time has come to put in time on the range getting the accuracy to hit greens in regulation established. If my chipping or putting falters winning scores will become difficult to obtain. Whilst there is good consistency and reliability in this part of my golfing. Scores will be much better if I improve other aspects.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#198 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3921 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

Consistency comes as the result of practise and training. This is the golf asset which supplies golfers with the ability to play their best game. I am sure you have heard it and said it to yourself? "if I played all my shots like that I could improve my handicap and break, 90...80...70 regularly" 

In my regular training the goal is not to break a particular score, it is to play my best golf all the time. This takes more than golf training, the need to have a body capable of maintaining a consistent swing and fit enough to walk 18 holes is just as vital. After a nine hole round this morning I finished at 4 over, which has my last three 9 hole rounds at even, 4 over and 4 over that is proof of why I stick to an established training and golfing practise routine. Considering that my GA handicap is 12.7 after struggling through season 2018 a much needed physical improvement has been established. Not through any super human training regime of gym. With regular morning walks getting that 10K of steps as a goal each day certainly build stamina and walked out the stiffness and rigidity of the body. Six months passed as easy  time doing this in the depths of winter to the better weather made no difference I ploughed through to the goal. One which was not measurable without golfing showing that the fitness was improved, when walking up hills, still moving freely in the swing after 17 holes.

This afternoon I also managed to get on the practise range, not for an intense session with a bucket of balls. Quantity is not my game preparation at this stage of the season preparing to play quality golf is the correct pat. Keeping the body protected is a priority and not making the mistake of overuse. As regular readers are aware and again repeating another of my game staples, I am fairly well broken. It all works and there are limits. I use the 'rubberband reality' as my guide, they stretch so far then no movement left. Push that limit a rubber band breaks. The same applies for me, only improve physically so far then it is maxed out, push it and I break and start all over.

This year managed recovery from three years of injuries and associated problems all from doing too much. Sure there were significant wins in championships. Recovery was enacted, first to stop and assess the situation, here I am 8 months later 3 weeks ahead of schedule. There was no rush. This is golf a game played professionally at walking pace. Simply accepted playing for fun, practise chipping and putting, reduced physical strain by 60%. 

• iRON MiCK likes this

#199 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3921 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Welcome Dear readers an enforced break from golfing, again. Once again the body had a breakdown and today was the first time I have picked up and swung a club since a few days after the last post on the 2nd of March. The pain has been worse that the frustration of not golfing that was in the back of my mind, golfing again has been the inspiration to take the time to improve. There were absolutely no signs I was going to hit the wall, no niggling injuries or unusual pain. Apart from some added back stiffness when getting up over a couple of mornings, not unusual. Which on the 6th of March within 20 paces went to crawling on the kitchen floor. The cause simple as always ding a little more activity and then bending over and straining a little in an awkward position and the muscles went into a spasm of rigor. I could soon walk again gingerly at first and not able to bend without supporting myself or roll over with ease in bed.The gradual improvement followed, which integrated well with my established walking and exercise routines. Easily reducing them to assist the healing, doing a little of something assists with the return to mobility. It was also an effect of working that had a significant part of the cause, a lot of extra sitting time at the PC of late is  a root cause of affecting my movement and bringing on these events.

This morning it was time to trial the improvement. first some chipping only 25 balls working through the obvious tentative first strokes. Soon comfortable and ready to amble to the range. Only hit two dozen balls. A dozen each beginning with the 8 iron and then the six iron. Once again the advantages to my golfing from the coaching received from the former European professional, Mianne Bagger showed how effective it is.  Part of the core of her advice was, "keep your swing simple". What this does in effect is I minimalise the amount of moving parts as I play shots, arms straight, rotate back then swing through hitting the ball. That is not advice dear readers hat is a very simple explanation is all. Hence when i set up to day all I am doing is these movements and hitting through the ball effortlessly. With no mental distractions of, "it might hurt!" etc. 

There was no pain no concerns whatsoever and as I worked through the balls to the 6 iron the accuracy and movement improved. Stopping after 24 hits satisfied I will not be too restricted in a couple of weeks when competition begins. Not hitting a full game power was no concern that will come with more recuperation. Was 20 metres short with both Irons on the standard distance. 

Now three hours later and I actually feel better than before I hit the balls. The sensations are no different to after I usually play a round or hit golf balls on the range. Have also had a 2km walk as well following this trial. A little hiccup to the start of my golf season and not a worry a all will be aware of this possibility and will have some added awareness to the activity load incoming months. Would like to highlight that this was not an injury event, it was a damaged body reacting to too much effort. I can manage this possibility easily enough. With the fact of having managed to play and hit golf balls better than possible in the past three years at this time of the season since January.

Edited by Talart, 14 March 2019 - 12:54 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users