Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#181 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3894 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Lucindale was a b!tch of a round, started out well enough on this challenging course and as the round progressed my lack of form and fitness showed up my capability. To accept that my frustration was affecting the game is the hardest admission. The gap between a passable round and the messy round I played was not that wide. I was able to place the ball off the tee on the fairways well enough. A few poor shots came more from my lack of confidence and not concentrating on the shots than anything. It was a very chastened golfer on the ride home in the passengers seat.

This past weekend again it was a round that as played straight from a drive home, then to the club after several days away. I was frustrated by the end of the day with the result, only because my expectations were in the way of my capability. It was nothing more than half a dozen poor shots from the tee to the green and 2-3 putts not dropping into the cup that made the final score. It was the grand total of no more than 9 shots which were the difference between success and the mediocrity I delivered.

Once again more positives that negatives, this has been a tough period of golfing dear readers. In fact the thought has crossed my mind... "time to stop". Of course that ignites that stubborn pigheaded, win at all costs hunger in the belly yet again. This round off the tee the driver became a powerful tool of distance and with better accuracy. Not a big hitter off the tee as regular reader know and that was debunked with a consistent 10-20 metres than usual all day. The irons also were delivering good distance, unfortunately the accuracy was rubbish. Greens in regulation are a must to pay to single figures and I am still on 10.3 at the minute. Lack of practice due to wet conditions is not helping, the ball striking from net practise though has maintained this consistent striking attribute.

Over all feeling good and the exercising is increasing back with light chest expander workouts to get reliable stamina to play 18 holes again. Putting and chipping is okay, not championship for though. Which has to be built up by September when matchplay for the club handicap begins.

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#182 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3894 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

Dear readers, seems a lot longer since the 8th of August to have put words on my golfing adventures down. All is travelling well following the past four weeks of practicing in the main, with 2-3 competition rounds thrown in. With a bit of good fortune weather wise, even though August finished with winds and rain I managed to get 6 continuous 9 hole rounds in one week and that was the turning point. The club practise fairways were flooded and the chipping and putting whilst invaluable to refine are not all of the game skills needed to be tuned up.

At the end of that one week though all was in place, Handicap Club Championships have begun and my quarter final is on the 16th of September. Today in the 9 hole chicken run 18 points with a wipe and a missed putt delivered the golfing form I have worked towards. Peaking a t the right time is always the key to winning match play. Some claim luck on a day that is never my conclusion in winning golf in this format. You have to play the best you can and must prepare and build up to be in the best form possible when it is time to play. 

As always it has been a three month training period for me. Tried and proven since 2009 with the results when I returned to golf. In that past decade I have won 2 club championships and 3 club handicap championships.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#183 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3894 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

Following on from Friday and 18 points in the nine hole Chicken Run, the improved form has established itself. Today was a Stroke round and finished with 80 gross nett 69 and 29 putts for the day. Good enough for third place in the trophy count. Had been working towards this form over the past two months, peaking at the right time with the Club Handicap match play rounds under way. Should get my quarter final out of the way during the week, weather permitting. 

Today's round was satisfying, with a selection of poor shots played showing there is a lot of capability not being realised yet. Beginning with what caused all of the errors today, my lack of fitness and being overweight. Any analysis which highlights faults in shot execution all comes back not being fit enough to play better. Thankfully I have been exercising regularly getting the 10,000 steps in every day possible, usually 5-6 days per week. This has made it possible to reach an acceptable standard of mediocrity for me, a 11 handicap. Even so this has only got me to a passable level of golfing on balance with my capability and ability.

The case in point of the last two rounds, begins with the 9 holes on Friday and wiping the first hole scoring a double bogie 6. To end up after another 8 holes with 18 points. Then the competition 18 holes today. For a Sunday played in wind gusts up to 15 Kph, a breeze compared to the standard winter winds and rain. Missed three putts inside 40-60cm, a couple of wayward drives and there is five strokes added to the score of 80. Every single one of these errors were the result of tiredness. The root cause being overweight and unfit.

There was one hole where I had a brain fade the par 5, 10th hole was alongside the pin 2-3 metres off the green for three. Plan was a chip and a putt for a par. Could have used the putter off the green, except there was a deep sprinkler head depression between the ball and the hole. So I chipped the ball which fell 20 cm short of the target. Landed in the sprinkler head depression and dropped straight down into the gap between the sprinkler and the wall. F@@@k!!!! Ended up on for 5 with a putt just off the green went too far and two putted for a double bogey 7. Was furious with the result and shot mistake, this mental snap added 1-2 shots to my final score. 

End result was still 5 shots added to the score through poor fitness and conditioning. 

This may be seen as a harsh judgement, if you are a soft centered marshmallow. Golfing is a competitive sport and there can only be one winner, hence I came third. First and Second both on nett 68 decided by a count back as I sat one off the prized vouchers with a nett 69. 

#184 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3894 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

Played the Quarter Final of Club Handicap Championship today had to give opponent 4 strokes and got a win 4 up 3 to play. Started well winning first 3 holes, played some unfocused shots to follow and then got back on top to finish the front nine 2 up, with a 38 off the stick to opponents 43. Back nine missed a couple of easy putts, that's match play for you though and kept the pressure on even with the lapses which scored halved holes instead of winning. Won on the 15th hole with a comfortable lead and through to quarter finals on 30th September (after 6 holes 23 off the stick to 28). 

The past months of following my established practise routine has worked again. As all successful golfers know consistency comes from practicing to play the best you can. There was no luck in my win whatsoever, I have trained to be able to play the shots which other golfers accept as lucky, because of their rarity. There were mistakes as well which made the match go longer, this was my fault for being too convivial and confident in my ability. I wanted to enjoy the round and not crush my opponent ruthlessly. This I have done in the past specifically the first two Handicap Championships which I won. 

This season has been one of recovering fitness for some time and that has been done. In the process I also dropped some of the poor attitude and the hunger for winning has returned. Up against the coming generation of club young guns has been an inspiration. 

My errors came off the tee, where I began to try and smash the ball. No need to do it at all, this was part of the conviviality dulling my focus. I have a very simple tee shot method pick a target on the fairway 100-150 metres away. This shorter than where the ball will finish, then hit the ball so the flight is over that target. End result hitting 70-80% of fairways per round. The big game changer has been the return of hitting greens in regulation, this is from setting up well and hitting irons and hybrids accurately. Again the cause of failures is trying to hit the ball too hard, perhaps a flow on from the shoulder injury. I have been struggling to be confident with the approach shots the distance for each club has returned, I am just protective with out any need to. Nothing a few more practise sessions on the range won't fix.

Chipping and putting still a strength yet a couple of lapses and putting too hard was a problem on a couple of holes. Of course I won, this is not sour grapes or being pedantic. This is how winning golf is set up and played.

• iRON MiCK and Forrest Gardener like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users