Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#166 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

Good luck Tal

Thanks Weeti

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#167 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

Just home after a thirteen hour day! Damn I would not even work this hard in business, golf is much more valuable of course. Won the Club Championship, back to back 4 up with three to play in a 36 hole match play competition. Very satisfied, winning does that. Left the club dinner quietly and early, a gracious exit as the pain is beginning to hit home now. A more detailed description of the battle to win will come in the next few days. WINNERS ARE GRINNERS.

• Weetbix, Francie, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and 1 other like this

#168 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12906 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Swett victory
  • Talart likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#169 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

Well done
  • Talart likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#170 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

Swett victory

It certainly was Mick, not easy by no means and I held on to win after a tough battle all day.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#171 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

Well done

I agree, no modesty after the battle Weetie 

#172 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

The day after the Championship Round and feeling better after an hour so far on the TENS machine, will be a bit more this week another Bowen treatment will be perfect. First a little gloat, c'mon back to back Club Championships are tough asks. A few things did fall my way in the draw with a couple of favorites unavailable after qualifying. Interesting fact is that most likely would have been playing one of them certainly in the first round as I qualified top and they had poor qualifying rounds.

Good fortune in that I played the better golfers in the semis, the reality was my body was stuffed after qualifying. The past few weeks I have been covering it well. Played the 36 holes in a cart after getting the doctors note. As most members are used to me playing 18 holes and know that struggling to play more walking is definitely fixed with the cart use, was a bluff that came off. None knew how badly I had injured my arm two weeks ago, swinging a club hurt often. Was almost out of deep heat by the end of the day! Again that pig headed obstinate trait of mine came to the fore and got me over the line.

A championship over 36 holes a game of stamina and attrition. I made one equipment change that gave me an advantage. All season I have played with Callaway supersoft balls in competition. Effortless to hit and play a round within my capability and not stress the body. Yesterday I played with PRO v balls after a final warm up of 6 holes Saturday. That gave me an extra 20 plus metres of the tee all day and pressure was on my opponent as he had elected to not use any more than a 4 iron second up and was short of most greens.  Managed to drive well off the tee all day, regularly stuffed second shots to the green it was beyond my ability. The months of chipping and putting practise paid off regularly chipping to 10-40 cm of the hole. My opponent spent most of the day having to drop amazing putts to halve holes. While I had two putts to get a half and made the one putt often to get the win. Even so after 18 holes it was all square.

Lunch break stop was the key, after which I was refreshed, had my opponents measure and ready to throw 100% into the remaining holes. Match play is an exciting test of a golfers capability, I have a set routine well outlined in past posts on how I prepare to play tournaments and championships. In match play I have a simple playing format: 1) I concentrate on my current shot then the next shot at all times. 2) Not interested in the shots my opponent plays or their outcome, just how many they have. Following lunch after eight holes I was four up, lost the ninth hole being too aggressive for a birdie over 5 metre putt shaved the hole, for a loss and was 3 up with 9 to play. Knew I had my win pretty much by then at best my opponent could be all square with 6 to play and that would take more than he had in the tank. 

Started the back nine with a loss, then won the next two four up with six holes to play. The next two holes were halved. On the 13th I had two putts for a half, played it easy on a down hill putt, safety not glory. On the 14th par three opponent had a long chip to the pin, did well and dropped a testing putt for par. I was 4 metres from the pin and two shots for par. In fact not getting the second putt did not even cross my mind. The 15th, 358 metre par four was the penultimate hole, I was four up with four to play. Drive down the centre, opponent 30 metres behind played his second to be 50 metres from pin. My second 2 metres off front of green, He put his third 4 metres from pin, mine chipped 40-60 cm from hole. Missed his putt leaving me with an easy two puts for a half and win 4 up with three to play.

Worth every bloody minute spent getting over the line during the past three months. Now setting my glf up for rest of the season. Reality is my body has reached a limit and need to pace my play. I believe a Club Champion has obligations to contest competition club events, The Handicap Championship is first up, then a break to the Club Open and I also have won my third consecutive Invitation to the Village Classic Event in November (3 handicap or less). In coming weeks will formulate a preparation schedule for playing these three events. The key is to get into that single digit handicap of 6 which I am capable of playing to regularly now. Then push to be able to have a red hot go at breaking that in the Village Classic. 

• hack2489 likes this

#173 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Very nice. Good read too.
  • Talart likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#174 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

First round in competition, since the club championship win today. I have an attitude that the club champion has certain obligations in representing and competing in some events during the season. At present I am still recovering from the strain resulting from playing the event a fortnight ago. This weekend though is the annual Milton Hall shield between my Home club Robe and Beachport. Milton was a life member at both clubs and this event alternates each year since 2003, never has the traveling club been victorious. They are close fought battles and played in the great spirit and camaraderie very social and good fun before during and after.

I played the chicken Run 9 holes on Friday and decided after 16 points that I could get through 18 holes and contribute to our challenge to win the event. A very close yes or no decision dear readers, the shoulder and elbow injuries are still difficult to deal with. Back home now and the ice is on them now to relieve the discomfort as I type. Was happy with my game all day except for one hole, the par 5 14th. Hit a great tee shot and decided to hit driver again second, which is not a problem for me. Hit it fat and made 20 metres, then hit the driver again same result. Finished with a tree wood, chip on and two putts for a seven. My only wiped hole for the day and a total brain fade, I just felt as though I had nothing in the tank after the drive and lost focus.

After which I came home solidly, as I expected to do with no problems. Finished with 33 points on the day, the shield is decided by the top ten men's and ladies scores combined. It is usually a close run event winning score is only separated by 10 to 20 points. This year as the traveling club we were victorious! Fantastic and whilst I am suffering a little, the win certainly is a soothing balm. Final score 310, we were winners by 7 points to the Beachport club's 303. I was in the top 5 scores for my club and whilst I have not seen the final tally, pretty confident it got down to high scores in the twenties. So my score made a difference.

Golf is a social club game and it is great to have that connection with people whom I never do much with except golf.

#175 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

Good grief I am in golf world again! It feels like forever since I have last had this sensation of mental nirvana when considering my next golf rounds. Such a great feeling, in fact I first noticed it about 20 minutes ago when looking up from the pc screen and having finished writing a work piece. A look out the window, joined with a simultaneous "GOLF" lighting up my front brain. Followed by that calm anticipation of anything to do with being outside "golfing".

There was a very brief arm flex, to sense any discomfort. Felt nothing unexpected recovery is progressing well from the most recent wear and tear. My mind was at light speed and before the physical test, was already at the "can I get out and have a hit now or wait until the afternoon?" Yeah I can be told to care about so many issues and stuff around me but golf is number one. Even when it is a choice between taking my next breath and hitting a perfect golf shot, the line is finely drawn. The next breath just gets in because more golf follows. It is an obsession I nurture at all opportunities.

This weekend is the Monthly medal and first round of qualifying for the Handicap Club Championship. A stroke round and after last weekend am in good form. Think I will get a bit of the standard competition practice in over the next few days. Having experienced that my game form is holding well after the recent rest period very satisfied with the performance plan I am applying for the following weeks. Hey, this is of course another valuable piece of career training in action! That is only half joking and actually is almost a 100% fact. Some may say that being very competitive in your business approach is a bit harsh, not bloody me dear readers. I have a business plan that has progressed with some very definite influence from how I prepare to win in golfing.

The standard chipping and putting routine will be the core again for practise, still limiting the shoulder/arm action from hitting long irons and drivers. Will do no more than 20 odd balls in the net for set up and technique. Not satisfactory for what is needed to improve the greens in regulation needed to get into the 6 or less zone. This is a concession to lasting the season and playing the "long game" as opposed to a sprint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users