Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#151 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Following on from the previous post I have returned from a successful practise session with the driver and the identified issues were removed and reliable accuracy returned. It was a little disappointing to have a busy course and not be able to put in a longer session but no need to panic. Golf is patience and being able to correct a frustrating game fault quickly is a bonus from the years spent practicing to get to this level.

With a light series of stretches and warm ups I was straight into the required technique changes, the results were immediate. A slower session concentrating on the setup and swing and only hit 15 balls, With ten on the fairway, one pulled left  and four right, with slight fades and from two balls 30 cm to one 5 metres the worst off the fairway, very happy. The distance was fine as well with the complete follow through putting all the power into the ball striking. It is not a game of brute strength and the results always show that finesse delivers, distance off the tee, as well as accuracy. In all facets of a golfers game using the mind and knowledge is what distances the whackers and hackers from the winners. 

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#152 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

Practicing is always a positive thing to do in your golfing. The crunch of course comes when putting the practise into action in a competition round. I still recall hearing other golfers after coaching sessions comment on the changes made to improve faults. Then to play a round with them and see their game collapse trying too hard to initiate what are actually minor changes. Often after never practicing since the lesson to become comfortable with something that actually works. 

Concentration is a vital part of golfing and the distraction of thinking about putting the changes into action, often is enough to break a mid to high handicappers round. As your golfing improves, the dropping of your handicap is the only true measure of that, nothing else. One of the attributes which becomes second nature is the ability to concentrate and focus under pressure with out your game collapsing. In past weeks my game playing has been totally relaxed in my mind. The pressure has been applied both with the AGC prize target and playing myself into form, which has been successful as my handicap has dropped from 13 to 11.

Yesterday I played the nine hole chicken round and hit every fairway, all by enacting the changes that were identified Thursday, practiced  again on Friday morning and used in the afternoon. Successful? Absolutely, in fact the relaxed steady back-swing, complete follow through in game conditions was even more effective off the tee than expected. Using the right technique and throwing out the physical 'smack' the ball fault, delivered accuracy and the distance which had been so elusive of late. 

Unfortunately my second shots with long irons were very poor, again not an issue. Have had that problem a few times of late, hitting the ball 'fat' from the fairway, of the tee on par three's perfect though. It is just from being focused on other game aspects affecting concentration on the shot being played. Again though the six week competition practise routine I use works short second shots were supported by accurate chips to the green from 50-10 metres out. Playing off 11 in a nine hole round, I wiped the first hole. In the next 8 holes scored 14 points and if not for two three putts and the fore mentioned second shot issue killing the GIR's would have had an easy 16 and should have scored 18 points.

Today I will get out and practise again with the driver and the long irons will get a work out as well to tune up for Sunday's club comp round and another tilt at an AGC win.

#153 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Do you have a specific work out you do ?
I need to work on balance flexibility and core strength but am to lazy, I've started swimming laps every second week to keep the fat off but I doubt that'll help with the golf.

As a fat stick insect, (going on Mouldy's pisstake) the swimming exercise is well worth doing. As is any specific training/practise physical effort. In fact you do not need much to be able to use it in improving your golf. I myself now have a bodyguard with me when going to the beach, to stop Greenpeace reps from rolling me back in the water. 

Last year I did a gym workout program for two months. It gave a targeted  boost to the body strength development and that was enough. This has continued at home using Strand Pulling exercises (Chest expander/Bullworker equipment does the job) walking and swimming to top it off, maintains a moderate strength standard. My reason for this is that golf is a game requiring consistency. By having improved my strength that provides stamina. At the end of 18 holes I am still taking the same swing as I was at the first hole, last season I won our 36 hole Club Championship (matchplay) because of this preparation ideal. When I was out yesterday and having the problem with my second shots to the green I was left with those 50-10 metres approach/chip shots and I was hitting them on target because I can rely on playing the correct shot distance. This morning I hit approximately 100 balls in practise, 40 with Pitching Wedge 20x 5m out and 20x 40 metres from practise green target and 30 + putts. Then 30 with five iron, 15 with three hybrid. In that short space of time (approx 40 minutes) I had at least 15-20 more hits than in an 18 hole round. I stopped after the set of 15 with the hybrid because the last couple of hits were significantly affected by tiredness.  Further practise was pointless but my technique and consistent distance and accuracy until the last 2 hits was good. 

All you need is to have enough fitness to rely upon hitting the ball consistently. My six week competition program is not a fitness regime. It uses the established fitness to practise playing the shots needed. First three weeks are PW from 5-10 metres around the practise green in sets of ten. Then PW in a putting stance and swing to the hole 1-2metres out from the green. Then putting in sets of ten. hitting up to 100 balls a session. Usually playing 6-9 holes, casual rounds each couple of days. As well as comp on Sunday. 4th and 5th weeks I start range work, also have a driving net setup in carport entry. Hitting sets of 20 balls 2 x in net session. Just to get technique settled. Also a chipping set up in back yard with 5m and 10m distance markers to target. Invariability this delivers the assets needed as described by my coach. I know how far I am going to hit the ball when ever I swing with a certain club. Which is where the moderate fitness comes in. If you have stamina you will not falter during a round because of physical frailty.

You know how far you hit a club? That is the benchmark, not the perfect shots the regular average shots are the benchmark. The loft sets the distance and there is the key to my reliable golf. Know my club distances and hit the ball with a full swing, each time. Which once established my coach gave me the next practise routine. Go out and practice with all your irons, taking half the back swing. Again reliable stamina means you control and hit the ball the same every time. As my coach stated, "You now have 14 irons in your bag not 7!" (4-PW) When I am playing in a competition I am not trying to create new shots I am playing shots that I have already practiced to execute with confidence and accurately.  

Edited by Talart, 17 February 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#154 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

The six week golfing preparation program measured up for the second week in a row, broke my handicap GA now 10.7 (3 strokes gone in last 10 rounds). This is harder work than expected our course ratting is 111 down from 113 since the last rating and previously because it is a temporary course. Only 12 holes as we wait for the 6 new holes to be constructed. In summer with small fields between 15-20 golfers and two-three golfers shooting 40 plus scores the DSR drops to 68. Meaning I need to shoot a 39 point score at least, to break my handicap! Stroke rounds are out until March when 76 or less will be the current maximum allowable to break handicap. The course rating is based on several aspects and playing holes twice dos reduce the course difficulty. As a coastal course we play in strong winds all year round even in summer on a warm day a 13-15 km head wind on several holes is not unusual. That is just a statement not an excuse, golf comes down to ability and I prepare to play my best golf all the time. 

The last two weeks it has taken the last putt to get the respective successful results in the last two competition rounds. Playing to 10 this weekend and having played to 5 in competition rounds on the same course when not as fit or capable 9 rounds ago I am on track for my goals.

Yesterday I left no shots on the course nor the week before. I simply played the best golf I could on the day. Could have had a better score by 3 shots at least but did not. Next week i will be trying to play better again, matching a nine handicap is good enough for three weeks in a row improvement. It all came down to the successful golf preparation program I use. I can rely on playing ordinary shots that are the best 90% of the time. These shots could be better and continuing the practise routine will supply that. Briefly on physical fitness, I am in the best condition for many years which is certainly helping.

Edited by Talart, 19 February 2018 - 04:45 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#155 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Hi All, have had escalating log in issues the past few weeks with the site, kept being referred to the MPower Golf site https://mpowergolf.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and the total lack of time I had to deal with it has put forum posting on the back burner. Golf is something I truly enjoy away from the thoughts of work especially. Considering the core of my business has moved into IT and publishing and developing apps, the last thing I want is to have anything aside from talking golf associated with this site. If you have had small issues with the site now is the time o pass it onto the operators. A lot of little issues, adds up to a big issue and your feedback of what has happened is what is needed.

GOLF STUFF FROM NOW ON.

This weekend the competition season begins on Sunday with the opening round, first championship qualifier, stroke round. Have not played a competition round in two weeks since 17th February. Which is of no concern at all. Those who have followed my golfing progress since 2010 in this forum know how much I have always practiced and see the rewards in winning that have came from the effort. No longer is there hours of range work and having to work on fitness as well, good practise achieved that. I always had a series of goals to be achieved each year, handicap, fitness and knowledge. Which was never shied away from and the proof is my name on the championship boards for five events in 10 years of golfing. A Club Championship, three, Club Handicap Championships, one Club Open and a hole in one that was the bonus honur board for a good hit.

Over the past fortnight, folllowing two consecutive handicap breaking rounds played before the break the practise routine has been maintained. It is tried and tested for three seasons now. Chipping and putting always in best possible preparation, tune up approach shots and tee shots and keep fresh with excercise in comfort not excess. I have added a new drill to the practise of late, using a #3 hybrid around the greens. No set intention to do this in a game, just want to add some variety to sharpen up the routine of practisng. It is also about adding another shot to my repertoire, which is reliable and not hoping fo a 90% fluke, in execution.

Playing a couple of 6 hole rounds this week to see how the game was sitting highlighted a much needed technique correction with the driver again. Had fallen into the habbit of not knowing where I was aiming as the ball was not going where I was planning for it to go. The error was quite simple to fix. I assumed I was lined up where my feet directed except my shoulders were aimed to the left of the target area. Hence I was hitting straight to the left not draws or hook shots. Simple matter to take a little time in the set up to check and correct the alignment, issue solved.

Yesterday played the nine hole chicken run to see how the game was sitting for the competition round. Wiped one hole, had a four putt and missed a short gimme for 16 points, this was a very social round even the four putt got a point (on a par five). No warm up and lots of sledging and chatter in the round was a good test of focus, very satisfied with my mind set.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#156 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

First qualifying round for club championships was a tough task today. Coastal courses have that particular aspect of wind that can be truly difficult to play in. Today a pleasant 21C max with  south wind changing to south westerly wind during the round sitting on 30 kph with gusts up to 43 kph through the round.Apart from a lost ball on the third hole I was playing well enough. Missed 3-4 get able putts. That was my days frustration. 

Off the tee, approach shots, chips were all passable and set up par on most holes at the least. I tired as the day progressed, thankfully I have been making an effort to get an improved fitness level in place before today's round. That in hand with my practise routine all made the difference. End of the round 84 gross, 73 nett, 31 putts. Good enough for second place after a three way count back. Winning round was a 77 Gross, for a Nett 67.  

Lost ball on the third hole was my only mistake of note in the round, was too aggressive with second shot. Tight lie under shrub and chose, going for the green. Laying up would have been wiser and a hole I had a shot on as well, so no pressure. Got myself around with a 40 and 17 points at the end of the front nine, missed a birdie putt on the ninth. Back nine started well enough but could not finish off on the greens. I was tiring, simple as that and could not maintain the aggression needed to drop the putts.

Not dissatisfied with second place dear readers, this is the first round that mattered for season 2018 and I am not back in the pack. Much more comfortable in the lead group and closer to playing my best golf that most. 

Edited by Talart, 11 March 2018 - 06:22 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#157 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Not doing cartwheels this morning, very slow stiff start to the day after the gymnastics of yesterdays opening round. Well it must have been gymnastics or some such explosive activity that has me feeling this way. Surely a walk around a watered lawn swinging a stick, such an easy, gentle exercise could not cause this discomfort?

As always it was worth it. For starters, second place is better than third success in competition matters to me. Take the competition out of golf and there would be scorch marks on the gear in the rush to get rid of it. This was my third competition round since starting my pre-season training. Once again relegated to a placing by other golfers playing brilliantly to their fast approaching improved and lower handicaps. Best wishes to them from me, that was how I progressed at various stages in the past.

At the minute all of the preparation, training and practise has achieved the desired and much needed golf ability, a golf game which is consistent and reliable.

At home last night analysing the first competition round of the season just played there were many positives. The result alone proved that I was bettter than 99% of the field. The physical feelings this morning are a reminder of the one major thing that was identified last night as the major improvement needed. I just have to get more fittness. This dear readers is bloody hard, physically the many broken bits gathered in staying alive to this date are much better than in the past. They are still broken though, which requires very specific targeting in training to improve. Here is the simple detail, broken body parts cannot be replaced, they still work though. Like a rubber band this improvement can only stretch so far, then the band breaks. What I have to do and it is easy through the years of knowledge and experience today is spread the excersise and training across a whole body approach.

This reduces the strain on the broken bits, the body is a unified object and a little bit of improvement in several places resulkts in a big improvement over all. Which is why 70% of my physical golf practise is chipping and putting. Less strain on the broken bits and perfecting the most important part of the game. The target is getting the ball in the hole with every chip and putt shot I play.

Excersise is next, my favored strengthening method is strand or cable pulling. This provides stamina, as yesterday proved in the 30-43kph winds all day. I tired with the extra effort to play shots. Simply standing in place on the tee blocks, fairways and greens being buffeted relentlessly, is hard work. Still I could play my best shots required. Which is why albeit 3 hours later than usual I went for my morning walk today and have returned home looser, and feeling much better than when I went out the door.

Which comes to the bug-bear, weight. I have to drop 5 kg at least in the next few months. So far over the hectic summer season my weight stabilised and reduced. That was step one. Now it is time to build on that result. This is the key to improving my game stamina and durability.  What has also been a significant improvement is the treatment of the tendinosis in the right thigh. With the regular stretching excersises this has been gradually getting better every week since January. Still tender at times but not debilitating or restricting my golf at this current level.

Fast forward 7-8 years to now and the last two years of having a former European Touring professional  staying in my hostel, yes of course golf became part of the conversations. Not to mention the two years of the best ever coaching possible which in total has been, two 9 hole rounds, one session at the practise green and the rest all conversations!

• iRON MiCK likes this

#158 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Hi dear readers, delayed post after a busy week and being flaming tired after last Sundays 2nd qualifying round  for Club Championships. Was almost a no show, not the best weather with 30-50 kph winds all day and that was certain to take a fair bit out of me to play well in. Stroke round ended well enough with 79 gross for a nett 68 and 2nd after count back on the day.  Guaranteed a playoff spot in the championships and able to defend last years title. Importantly I am dominating the season club rounds in the start to the year and I feel satisfied that is representing the status of defending Club Champion with due diligence. 

On the third hole I missed a 30cm putt for par, which sparked my combative golfing attitude into life. In hindsight that cost me the competition win on the day. More important was that I lifted the game focus from then on to play acceptable golf. Fact: the past week exercising has been beneficial. The morning walks had certainly improved stamina on the day compared to playing in similar difficult conditions the week before. I still tired as the day progressed but not as much as seven days previously. Exercise is often a mental problem for some people, the result is not noticed soon enough in delivering improvement. That impatience is what kills many a successful golfing experience. Last week those morning walks took an effort and there being an improvement to follow was never in doubt. 

Motivation is a paramount fuel for my golfing, it can be from, desire to win, to have a reliable capability to play the next shot, to enjoy the day, to be healthier, satisfaction in life. For me the motivations are endless.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#159 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

On Friday after a difficult week I fronted for the 9 hole "chicken run". By difficult I mean one of very bad pain and discomfort from a combination of activities, which were unavoidable and the painful results not unexpected. Sunday's round was tiring and the effort to play well in 30-50 kph winds was a significant strain. In itself not an issue. Monday I had a 240 km round trip followed by a 350 km trip on Tuesday. This is too much for the back injury to cope with. Tuesday night was horrific there is no other way to explain this to people who have never experienced 12-14 hours of back spasms, pain, discomfort, cold sweats, in short f@cking agony. This was the result, even with the moderating influence of prescribed opiate medication assisting comfort. 

A back rub Tuesday morning relieved the worst of the residual pain and got me through to a booked massage at noon. Still some residual discomfort until Thursday but nothing debilitating. Back home Thursday and a good hour chipping and putting late in the afternoon and all was feeling good enough. Friday 'Chicken Run' is fun and it was only two holes in when I realised that was going to be my approach, the score meant nothing I wanted to play for fun. With no real focus on all shots required, I decided to see what I could do off the tee with the driver.

This is a shot where I keep "a lot in the tank" when playing a competition round, rarely if ever go above 75-85% of what is comfortably possible. In my game 200 metre drives are fine on most holes and that is effortless to play, sometimes a little more effort to accurately reach 210-220 metres off the tee is required and that is not too much to step up to. Yesterday though with the shackles off, distance was removed from the calculations and just played the full swing with accuracy the only component demanded. Finished the day with no physical discomfort from the extra effort. End result drives all finishing around the 240 metre measure and with accuracy!

To have done this yesterday was not all that unexpected, there has been a question in the back of my mind for several weeks that I have added distance off the tee. In my practise routine the only specific distance work I do on the range is my irons/hybrids/fairway woods. Establishing these club distances, that combined with accuracy is what delivers my "greens in regulation" improvement which sets up birdie and par results. Which of course improves my handicap and game enjoyment. So I practise what matters not whims that will not benefit my game. The Driver is a moderate range club, done only to settle the rhythm, tempo and shot execution to be reliable in accuracy first, distance does not even come into these sessions. 

The Driver though has always been in the "careful you can really hurt yourself" category and has been developed with severe limits imposed. This disciplined approach has also been able to travel through my game and overall improvement so it has never felt like a restriction. I have won two match play rounds against golfers who average 250 metres and reach 270 metres with ease playing like this. One win was after 11 holes, the other, after 12 holes played. Whilst my golf game may look like surgical tempered play, that is the facade over a ravening Beserker with an axe cleaving through opponents. From observing golfers like these two though I also picked up future game tips which have been added to my game, in particular using the Driver off the fairway on par fives and long par fours.

In recent rounds I have noticed matching or out driving several of the clubs longer hitters off the tee has been a regular feature in my game. This is not even a consideration in my game approach at all, it has been an observation of results. Which all came to fruition in the fun approach to playing the "chicken run" on Friday. Today I am still evaluating what is going to be the outcome of the recent results. After a decade of having to be very careful to simply being able to play golf, the improvement is very noticeable. The competitive game is still a passion and I do not want to waste the improvements developed from all the effort. Mentally there is a major barrier, avoiding 'f@cking agony' is a big motivator. Patience as always will win and deliver more success. 

In reviewing my recent game statistics and rounds I already have noticed that my game play has had a particular change. When my golf began began to improve 7-8 years ago, the 15th hole was set as when I would begin to make a charge for a handicap breaking round or play to match or better it with a lesser degree of intensity. This would all depend on how I was set after the 14th hole 2-3 under handicap a charge, the rest play to do the best I could. This year from hole one focused on the target to break my handicap. No matter how I am set after the 14th hole I charge to the 18th these days. This is due to two specific golf attributes I have practiced and developed, first of all fitness and second capability. The two combined proved a stable and reliable platform to play my best golf.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#160 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

Dear Readers the Easter weekend was another where I went golf free, apart from chipping and putting practise. Have skipped the past two weekend rounds giving the left ankle a rest as it still has not healed from the gout/injury issues 100% as yet. Two weeks ago was the third and final qualifying round and the weather was lousy, the first two had the strong winds but this time it rained heavy and long. So I gave it a miss, still managed to finish top qualifier and that has got me directly into the Semi Final and one win away from defending last seasons title. 

The semi final is played on the 22nd of April and the Matchplay championship is on May 6th, which gives me a 5 week period to go into my usual competition preparation routine. Already have good form, this will be a tune up to another competitive level. There is no pressure to improve it simply is a given that this will happen. What this is targeting is a variety of game attributes that give a player a winning edge.

There were a few winning nuances lacking in today's casual/come warm up approach. Which is why I played today to analyse what has to be improved in the next few weeks. One I regularly work on is the chip ins from off the green, with matchplay practise this improves to be an expected result. I am looking forward to this practise routine it is really a buzz to be chipping sets of ten balls and have so many in the hole the ball rolls over the top. Played a casual six holes this afternoon and the game play was good enough, chipping though was poor, by match play standards. Not aggressive enough at the hole dong it easy is fine on a casual walk and wack round. Greens in regulation were good with shots either on the green or just off, hence the importance in chipping improvement. Putting was good as well, that has been a regular practise drill for two months.

Off the tee after a couple of weeks off with the driver is still not up to standard of reliability. Distance is good, so is the swing, my accuracy is not acceptable. First off will be a return to the strand pulling exerciser. Strength is needed to provide stamina and avoid errors from tiring. The Matchplay Final is played over 36 holes and that does take a toll if you do not prepare for this aspect of the game. Playing from the fairway in match play puts the game in your favour. 

• Madam and Weetbix like this

#161 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

Has been a busy work week and still made the effort to complete the golf routine for the coming championship rounds. Like all things in golf rarely does one outcome not influence another, which is why I do not deviate from the tried and tested preparation routine. 

Friday I played the nine hole chicken run, finished with a credible 16 points wiped one hole testing the limits off the tee. Not a problem I wanted to see if the problem that was floating around would be magnified if I opened up and belted one off the tee block. Interestingly it was not a major fault. Unfortunately the line I took was an issue and the ball went out of bounds. Friday was great fun as always and I did get significant value golf wise as well.

This morning I could have stayed home and not done my pre-game routine, it is a challenging round for me today. Par event and will need to be in fine form. So obviously that is why i made the effort and fortunate that I did. Last week I began the strengthening exercises using my chest expander. I did notice there were effects putting Friday. Today I hit 80 balls chipping before putting and the distance exercise showed a remarkable increase. It is a simple pre match routine a golfer should do. get three balls and take the same swing back to your foot and then measure them out. Then repeat back this should give you the distance for that stroke. Usually it is 11-12 metres for me, today it was 14-15 metres. hen repeat with three balls and the putter goes half way to your back foot, pace it out then repeat. Usually 6-8 metres depending on the cut today it was 10-11 metres.

Given that I had been specifically exersising for strengthening this week and had already hit  80 balls this was a significant benchmark of improvement. Yes the green were freshly cut, but if I had not followed my established  pre game routine my putting capability would have been compromised. This will not result in longer iron shots per se, it will result in more reliable and consistent shots with less tiring as a round progresses. The shots that require 'finesse' and that delicate touch of accuracy and confidence have improved and that would have been a hindrance for the first few holes without the warm up routine.

• Madam and iRON MiCK like this

#162 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Fine weather and overall fine golfing with some goofing thrown in to the mix yesterday. A Par round and finished on -2 which was not to discouraging.Playing competition golf in club rounds can be distracting at time with the mix of playing partners. I am not a chatty golfer in competition. My focus is on playing my best golf and when with chatty golfers it is an added bonus. I have to focus and concentrate on playing my game and this is a good thing. Happy to be sociable but apart from on the tee block and at the end of a hole, I really have no interest in any conversation aside from looking for balls or golf formalities. As I am preparing for Championship Semi Finals there is an added focus in all my golfing preparation and gaming which is fun make no doubt. The fact that golf is my sport/hobby/obsession is all balanced with the reality there are other things in life which matter also. Which makes golf all the more enjoyable.

To the round, made five mistakes on the day which stopped my score being a +1 or +2. it was two things repeated, missing three putts from 40cm to 60cm all to the left. Particularly irritating as this is a fault which I work on in putting practise. It is nothing more than a mental lapse of not hitting straight at the hole. Instead there is a lazy lapse in which I shoot to the left on some imagined line. the second fault was very irritating, I grabbed the wrong stick twice in shots to the green from 110 metres. This does happen but twice is not an accident it was purely lack of focus and being distracted. Which goes to my opening paragraph. Golfers who are friendly and chatty are fine, when they do not understand the etiquette of golf they have to be learn to limit the social chit chat. Sometimes it becomes a case of being taught a few harsh lessons to get the message through.  

I am focused, not intense in a round of golf. It is a very simple matter to get intense if need be but generally I am using every aspect of a round to improve for a purpose. Losing is not something that is enjoyed by me at any time and the result is always my responsibility. Quarter finals were played yesterday and i know my opponent for the Semi Final of the Club championship in two weeks, the preparation continues.

Edited by Talart, 09 April 2018 - 06:30 AM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#163 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

The past weeks have been hectic with a little golf competition played, mostly it has been enough time to practise and that is the important part for my game. This weekend played the semi final for club championships and won 4 up with two to play. That confirmed my spot in the match play championship final and defending the title I won last year.

My approach to all the competitions played is the same, know it is winnable and what is required to win. As well as the experience to put into practise what will get the result. In yesterdays semi final I lost the first two holes, from then on it was 6 wins and 6 halved hole before my opponent won a hole. By then I was 4 up with four holes left to play, then 3 up with three to play. There was no room for him to maneuver at that stage of the game. Dropped a 3 metre birdie putt on the next hole to win the match 4 up.

It was not an easy game, as the start showed had to get my mind on track after not doing it in the very beginning. Match play is a game in which it is easy to make a tactical mistake of playing against your opponents stroke's. Instead of the winning method which is to get out ignore the opponents results and play your best golf and let them do the chasing, watching, thinking. Once that was sorted, won the third hole. Then just kep hitting the ball as best as I could and getting the ball in the hole with as few shots as possible. 

Semi Finals are a harder proposition than the championship in my opinion as there is only 18 holes played to get the result. Where as the Club Championship is over 36 holes and the need to concentrate is much greater to maintain consistent winning golf. Every other game on the day the B grade semi finals were decided on the 18th hole. The other A grade semi final went to the 19th hole. My game was over after the 14th hole at 4 up with four holes to play. 

It is how to play golf at all times, nothing spectacular just your applicable game level consistently. Without those expecting hole putts, chipping in or hitting greens if you do not practice to be able to do it. If I had the time at the minute to increase my practise, the addition would be on the driving range improving iron shots for greens in regulation. Not possible so I do not worry about it instead I use the net to steadily improve my ball striking to a consistent standard. In games I concentrate on setting up my line to the target before hitting the ball. Then 100% rely upon the previous practise to send the ball to the target. The sixth hole was the make or break moment. My drive was good but not perfect had a tree encroaching on my direct line to the pin. Hit a good 9 iron over the tree onto the green. Had two putts for a par my opponent one putt for his par. The third halved hole in a row, with me at one down. Next hole a par 5 I was on in three a metre from the pin, Opponent missed the green, then left a long putt for par and missed his putt. I had a birdie putt that just lipped out and a win to be all square. Next hole on in regulation, two putts for par Opponent missed the green, two putts for a bogey and I am in front. All from accuracy and being able to rely upon my capability to hit the ball consistently. 

two weeks before the championship so all is ready and nothing needs to be done. That is what a golf routine delivers a game that is consistent no matter when you have to play.

• Madam and iRON MiCK like this

#164 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

Club Championship this coming Sunday, all is prepared for the title defence. Played competition this weekend, was almost a no show thanks to work the past week. Manual labour can cause the odd injury and don't laugh too hard so can flaming admin work. In this case an intense three days on the computer had caused some painful and weakening injury to my right elbow and fore arm, obviously from using the mouse, it sucked.

Played the chicken run on Friday and cruised around in relative comfort, considering this is a 9 hole event i deliberately do not take seriously, 17 points was a good final score. Unfortunately the injury worsened by Sunday an I still decided that i would rather walk around 18 holes than stay home. The first three holes did the damage, an 8 on the par five (ball out of bounds), bogied the hardest hole on the course next (5) then a 7 on the par 4 (lost ball) had me in prime position for a charge home with 15 holes to play. Which I tried to do and the end result was an 85 gross, Nett 75 on a course which is a scratch of 69. 

The injury did some damage to my score, I will admit that after playing. During the round that negative cop out thought is not acceptable in my game. Made some great shots and set myself up several times only to have chips and putts especially be affected by the problem. A couple of other shots during the round also I put down to affected also. Point is that it made no difference to my attitude, sure frustrated I did not win. On the other hand my opponent for the coming championship round had more shots an 87 off the stick and same number of putts, which won him the putting prize on a count back. 

There is no over confidence in my mind either, make no doubt there has been a few comments directed to me that could engender that fatal mistake. My approach is on a totally ruthless game playing method to win, as soon as possible on the day. Just as relaxed as I always am in preparing to play a championship round. Following the established winning routine to be in my best form on the day. No need for inspiration or motivation, golf for me is a game of consistently playing the best I can and preparing to do so. 

• iRON MiCK likes this

#165 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41867 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Good luck Tal
  • Talart likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users