Photo

2016 Play Your Best Golf All The Time

golf championship tournaments

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#151 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3837 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Following on from the previous post I have returned from a successful practise session with the driver and the identified issues were removed and reliable accuracy returned. It was a little disappointing to have a busy course and not be able to put in a longer session but no need to panic. Golf is patience and being able to correct a frustrating game fault quickly is a bonus from the years spent practicing to get to this level.

With a light series of stretches and warm ups I was straight into the required technique changes, the results were immediate. A slower session concentrating on the setup and swing and only hit 15 balls, With ten on the fairway, one pulled left  and four right, with slight fades and from two balls 30 cm to one 5 metres the worst off the fairway, very happy. The distance was fine as well with the complete follow through putting all the power into the ball striking. It is not a game of brute strength and the results always show that finesse delivers, distance off the tee, as well as accuracy. In all facets of a golfers game using the mind and knowledge is what distances the whackers and hackers from the winners. 

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#152 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

Practicing is always a positive thing to do in your golfing. The crunch of course comes when putting the practise into action in a competition round. I still recall hearing other golfers after coaching sessions comment on the changes made to improve faults. Then to play a round with them and see their game collapse trying too hard to initiate what are actually minor changes. Often after never practicing since the lesson to become comfortable with something that actually works. 

Concentration is a vital part of golfing and the distraction of thinking about putting the changes into action, often is enough to break a mid to high handicappers round. As your golfing improves, the dropping of your handicap is the only true measure of that, nothing else. One of the attributes which becomes second nature is the ability to concentrate and focus under pressure with out your game collapsing. In past weeks my game playing has been totally relaxed in my mind. The pressure has been applied both with the AGC prize target and playing myself into form, which has been successful as my handicap has dropped from 13 to 11.

Yesterday I played the nine hole chicken round and hit every fairway, all by enacting the changes that were identified Thursday, practiced  again on Friday morning and used in the afternoon. Successful? Absolutely, in fact the relaxed steady back-swing, complete follow through in game conditions was even more effective off the tee than expected. Using the right technique and throwing out the physical 'smack' the ball fault, delivered accuracy and the distance which had been so elusive of late. 

Unfortunately my second shots with long irons were very poor, again not an issue. Have had that problem a few times of late, hitting the ball 'fat' from the fairway, of the tee on par three's perfect though. It is just from being focused on other game aspects affecting concentration on the shot being played. Again though the six week competition practise routine I use works short second shots were supported by accurate chips to the green from 50-10 metres out. Playing off 11 in a nine hole round, I wiped the first hole. In the next 8 holes scored 14 points and if not for two three putts and the fore mentioned second shot issue killing the GIR's would have had an easy 16 and should have scored 18 points.

Today I will get out and practise again with the driver and the long irons will get a work out as well to tune up for Sunday's club comp round and another tilt at an AGC win.

#153 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Do you have a specific work out you do ?
I need to work on balance flexibility and core strength but am to lazy, I've started swimming laps every second week to keep the fat off but I doubt that'll help with the golf.

As a fat stick insect, (going on Mouldy's pisstake) the swimming exercise is well worth doing. As is any specific training/practise physical effort. In fact you do not need much to be able to use it in improving your golf. I myself now have a bodyguard with me when going to the beach, to stop Greenpeace reps from rolling me back in the water. 

Last year I did a gym workout program for two months. It gave a targeted  boost to the body strength development and that was enough. This has continued at home using Strand Pulling exercises (Chest expander/Bullworker equipment does the job) walking and swimming to top it off, maintains a moderate strength standard. My reason for this is that golf is a game requiring consistency. By having improved my strength that provides stamina. At the end of 18 holes I am still taking the same swing as I was at the first hole, last season I won our 36 hole Club Championship (matchplay) because of this preparation ideal. When I was out yesterday and having the problem with my second shots to the green I was left with those 50-10 metres approach/chip shots and I was hitting them on target because I can rely on playing the correct shot distance. This morning I hit approximately 100 balls in practise, 40 with Pitching Wedge 20x 5m out and 20x 40 metres from practise green target and 30 + putts. Then 30 with five iron, 15 with three hybrid. In that short space of time (approx 40 minutes) I had at least 15-20 more hits than in an 18 hole round. I stopped after the set of 15 with the hybrid because the last couple of hits were significantly affected by tiredness.  Further practise was pointless but my technique and consistent distance and accuracy until the last 2 hits was good. 

All you need is to have enough fitness to rely upon hitting the ball consistently. My six week competition program is not a fitness regime. It uses the established fitness to practise playing the shots needed. First three weeks are PW from 5-10 metres around the practise green in sets of ten. Then PW in a putting stance and swing to the hole 1-2metres out from the green. Then putting in sets of ten. hitting up to 100 balls a session. Usually playing 6-9 holes, casual rounds each couple of days. As well as comp on Sunday. 4th and 5th weeks I start range work, also have a driving net setup in carport entry. Hitting sets of 20 balls 2 x in net session. Just to get technique settled. Also a chipping set up in back yard with 5m and 10m distance markers to target. Invariability this delivers the assets needed as described by my coach. I know how far I am going to hit the ball when ever I swing with a certain club. Which is where the moderate fitness comes in. If you have stamina you will not falter during a round because of physical frailty.

You know how far you hit a club? That is the benchmark, not the perfect shots the regular average shots are the benchmark. The loft sets the distance and there is the key to my reliable golf. Know my club distances and hit the ball with a full swing, each time. Which once established my coach gave me the next practise routine. Go out and practice with all your irons, taking half the back swing. Again reliable stamina means you control and hit the ball the same every time. As my coach stated, "You now have 14 irons in your bag not 7!" (4-PW) When I am playing in a competition I am not trying to create new shots I am playing shots that I have already practiced to execute with confidence and accurately.  

Edited by Talart, 17 February 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#154 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

The six week golfing preparation program measured up for the second week in a row, broke my handicap GA now 10.7 (3 strokes gone in last 10 rounds). This is harder work than expected our course ratting is 111 down from 113 since the last rating and previously because it is a temporary course. Only 12 holes as we wait for the 6 new holes to be constructed. In summer with small fields between 15-20 golfers and two-three golfers shooting 40 plus scores the DSR drops to 68. Meaning I need to shoot a 39 point score at least, to break my handicap! Stroke rounds are out until March when 76 or less will be the current maximum allowable to break handicap. The course rating is based on several aspects and playing holes twice dos reduce the course difficulty. As a coastal course we play in strong winds all year round even in summer on a warm day a 13-15 km head wind on several holes is not unusual. That is just a statement not an excuse, golf comes down to ability and I prepare to play my best golf all the time. 

The last two weeks it has taken the last putt to get the respective successful results in the last two competition rounds. Playing to 10 this weekend and having played to 5 in competition rounds on the same course when not as fit or capable 9 rounds ago I am on track for my goals.

Yesterday I left no shots on the course nor the week before. I simply played the best golf I could on the day. Could have had a better score by 3 shots at least but did not. Next week i will be trying to play better again, matching a nine handicap is good enough for three weeks in a row improvement. It all came down to the successful golf preparation program I use. I can rely on playing ordinary shots that are the best 90% of the time. These shots could be better and continuing the practise routine will supply that. Briefly on physical fitness, I am in the best condition for many years which is certainly helping.

Edited by Talart, 19 February 2018 - 04:45 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users